It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 06:48 PM   #1

wolf86 HB User
Broken Past - Need Help

Hi, Where to begin? Well, my name is Tiffany. I am now 17 years old and in the 10th grade. I am now living with my father but for the majority of my life (16th years) have been held prisoner of my mother. To sum everything up my mother was and still is an alcoholic and drug user. Since then I have been rescued by my father. This is where my problem surfaces. For 16th years of my life I had to face the issue of survival. Placing the thoughts of food and shelter before concerns for/ of myself. Now that I live with my father I no longer have to think about these necessities. However, now I have to face the fact that I am 17 years old and know nothing about being a teenager or a woman. My father is the guiding light in my life. If it werenít for him I would be lost. He is supportive and loving. When I have a question he is there for me and answers them to the best of his knowledge. But, I can tell that it makes him nervous and angry at the woman known as my mother. Now, I have to take my problem into my own hands. I want to know. I want to know how to fix my hair and do my nails in a professional manner. I want to know how to take care of my body. I want to know what I went through during puberty. I want to know how to dress myself and match clothes together. However, I have no clue where to turn. I know if I have a question I can and will turn to my father. But, I donít know what I am supposed to know so I canít question him. If anyone can point me towards a website for teens/ young women or know a few books that give good advice or know someplace that gives tutorials on hair, nails, and/ or make-up. I would forever be thankful. Thanks for your time and advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Inactive

ALonelyOctober HB User
Re: Broken Past - Need Help

I actually don't know too much, I don't do my hair or my nails or any of that. I do know that one time when I went to the mall I went into dillards and I was looking at some makeup (I don't usually wear makeup) and the lady did my makeup for free and told me how to put it on and stuff. Try something like that. sorry I couldn't help more...

Old 05-10-2004, 08:11 AM   #3
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Its too bad that your mom is still an alcoholic and drug user after all these years. Its nice that your father kept to you and treated you good. He is a good man and you should continue asking him questions.

If you feel uncomfortable about some of the questions then ask a close family member like an aunt or close friend. There are plenty of girls out there willing to help. There are sites but being a guy I don't know them.

Anyways, you are almost 18 and it seems like you had guidence from your dad. Time is coming where you will be on your own and desicions will be your desicions. There are many kids living with singal parents that are going throught what you did just just be proud you had a loving parent sstick around

Old 05-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #4

wolf86 HB User

Thanks for the advice. . .

Old 05-11-2004, 06:44 AM   #5
Inactive

eightball61 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf86
Thanks for the advice. . .

Keep us updated if you can

Old 05-11-2004, 09:24 PM   #6

breezy1043 HB User

honey let me hook you up..
ok, what color's your hair? do you have light or dark skin?
that's basically to determine what season of color you are. (pretty much what tone of colors would enhance ur features)

ok, for your hair, i hardly do anything to mine. i wash it and semi blow dry it, of course my hair is straight too. but my best suggestion is get hair magazines in places like winn dixie or wal mart or whatever kinda store you have around you to get ideas. if you go n get ur hair done like one of the picks the ppl at the salon will tell you how to style it for it to look like that everyday.

k, um nails.. well you just kinda wing it on those if you just mean painting them n stuff. what i do with mine, well, i'm fortunate enough to have decent nails that have no prob growin, but i keep a nail file on hand for the jagged edges and the occassional tare.

health...good time to start thinkin about that. all your health is, is basically the habits you get into. eat well, drink plenty of water(it's an acquired taste, but very beneficial).. take vitamins.. i just started takin iron and the fatty omega 3,6,and 9 stuff mainly because it's suppose to help your memory. turns out the fish oil(omega stuff) is a really good thing to prevent breast cancer. n the iron is good for you cuz the average woman doesn't consume nearly as much as she should.
so if you wanna check out the stuff about vitamins, just check out a search engine and type in benefits of vitamins or sumthin to that degree.

let's see, fruit is GOOD! i've startin eatin fruit instead of junk. however that can get expensive, but it is good for your immune system.

anything else i can help with? just ask and i'll do my best

Old 05-14-2004, 06:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Magnetic HB UserMagnetic HB User

Does your father have a girlfriend or woman he knows who might be willing to help you out? I would think there would be someone he knows who might be willing to show you the ropes. Consider joining a church or some other social group with adults and teens where you can make good friends and meet good parents. The mother of boys who has no daughter would problably love to play parent to a daughter and take her shopping for girl clothes!

Don't be shy about mentioning this desire to your Dad. He clearly loves you and is probably a bit frustrated, too, at his inability to do these motherling things with you. I think he would be glad to see you turn into a proper young lady.

Closed Thread