It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2005, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

cynical HB User
Too short...?

I'm almost 16, and only a bit over 5'.. I think I am somewhere around 150cm... My parents aren't that tall, and neither are their parents. I would say most of my family members are under 6'.. My friends say I will grow soon, but.. I don't see the chance of that happening.. >< Am i going to be stuck this short forever?!!!

Old 04-07-2005, 04:16 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

veggigoddess HB User
Re: Too short...?

Sorry to say, but I doubt you'll grow much more if anymore at all unless it runs in your family to have a growth spurt in the later teenage years? I am just under 5'3 and the only issue I really find w/ being this height is it can be difficult to find the right length in pants. It's no reason to be discouraged though sweetie! Many other things in life to worry about besides height.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

last1 HB User

Dear Cynical: Gosh, does this bring back memories. When I was 16 I was short, probably the shortest guy in my class. At that time I was around 5'1" and with a wt of around 115. My parents (they must have though I was a freak, too) took me to Yale Medical School to see about some growth hormones, or something. Maybe they wanted to put me on a stretching machine. ANyway, for whatever reason, they didn't pursue the issue of my height. I think probably the doctor just said that I was the way God intended and that they should get a life. Well, they didn't.
The point is one that you have probably heard so many times that you just can't believe someone else is telling you this...because, right now, you're in the place that short people go and it's usually the place where tall people look down upon us from the lofty perches. But I'll tell you anyway...you will one day find out that it won't matter and that you will compensate for what you perceive as a deficiency in some **********r manner. You may become an artist, poet, CEO, inventor, astronaut, etc. etc. You are who you are and that will be what will be the most important thing...your height will matter less and less. ANd remember this: Tom Cruise got dumped by Nicole Kidman becuase he was short. And then he hooked up with Penelope Cruz. I mean, how bad is that....!? cflas

Old 04-11-2005, 12:07 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

ForgottenFaith HB User

Sandy,

Your increase in height had nothing to do with your recent undertaking of daily exercise. You're only 14. You're still growing and you're obviously going through your growth spurt. During your growth spurt you'll gain inches in height seemingly overnight, and this lasts a couple years. For example, I'm a guy and I was only 5'0" in the 8th grade, and going into the 9th grade, I grew close to 3 inches in 2 months. I'm not much taller now only standing at 5'9", but I grew 9 inches from the age of 14 to whatever age I stopped growing (I'm 19), and most of those inches came from the time of my growth spurt. In high school you'll see a lot of people you know, namely guys, come back from summer break and they'll look like they grew a foot in height.Don't believe in those height increasing techniques and pills; they're scams and they don't work. Height is determined by genes, not pills or exercise. Once your growth plates fuse, there's no room for growth, so those testimonials you read about people still growing at the age of 20 something is a scam. Read up on growth spurts and genetics and not those growth increasing scams across the net.

Last edited by ForgottenFaith; 04-11-2005 at 12:12 AM.

Old 04-17-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
(female)

CheekyMiss HB User

Don't feel soo bad, Im 16 and only 5'2, and my sis is 21 and 4'9, there are shorter people

Old 04-20-2005, 10:42 AM   #6

truthseeker HB User

First, let's put this in proper Perspective. God gave you a gift of life in a Spirit that was placed in a body. That body was an inheritence you got from your parents who inherited it from their Parents. The sad thing is you only have a few years to enjoy life on Earth in that Body. Whether you live to be 28 or 85 it all will go by to fast.

Sure, we all know that most girls prefer taller guys. We know everyone has preferences; but, that doesn't mean a "hill of beans". What counts is your attitude. How you feel about who you are. And if it is low right now, begin to change it. A man can only do so much: Have a career, have one family, etc. Give love, Rec'd love, hold on to who loves you because she will come along. Find you a career you can become successful in. Enjoy life, enjoy family and friends. Do not blame your family for your height, it is not their fault. Let's not blame anyone. Afterall, what people count as number one is the person who has the most confidence in who they are. That is the winner. Do not dwell this to much. You have to take what you are giving in life in make do with it. I'm telling you, it is too short afterall, excuse the Pun. I'll say this though, you better hope if you do not get taller, you can keep your weight in proportion. Now that would be a problem, your height is fine. The growth hormones should have been taken when you were younger and child, and these perhaps would have given you an extra 2/3 inches.

Check with a physician or on the internet to see how young or old you have to be to get these shots.

Old 04-20-2005, 03:14 PM   #7
(male)

i97 HB User

Short people disease. There are people who are short and dont care, but there are some who really dont seem to get over it. I have a friend who is ok with his height, hes very short though, and he is confident. I would say he is just as normal as me when it comes to girls and other things ( except basketball and other sports that need height ) But there are some people who do not seem to get over the fact that they are short and who get depressed about that. I would say just get over the fact of you being short and it will be ok. I doubt you will grow much more.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #8
(female)

Amy-kate HB User

I'm 5ft 2, and people always take the mickey out of me -im 16- don't worry about it, men would much rather have someone smaller than them that they can protect and cuddle than a really tall person who engulfs them, don't worry! amyxx

Old 04-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #9

truthseeker HB User

Amy-Kate, your comments raises another issue: Generally, taller guys, get's the shorter girls, for the reason you mention, and there are others as well. The problem is there are no short girls left over for short guys. Tall girls do not want short guys they want taller than them guys. Short girls, also want taller guys. I mean a girl 5'2" may be with a guy 6'4". I know some girls who are short, around 5'3" and they swear they will not date a guy unless he is 5'11" or, taller.

I'm 5"8", and I'm considered short too. It's a myth, but like other myth's there is a myth that Short guys are Insecure, that's why women do not like dating em. Of course, it is not true, short guys are know more insecure than any other guy or person, but the myth exist. There are others. Short guys have smaller penises. Your off spring will be short. Some girls feel they can't wear heels, if they are with a short guy. Man oh Man there are problems, but they can be overcome if the person is confident in themselves. That is the key.

Old 06-13-2005, 09:08 AM   #10
(male)

simon_james2205 HB User
Hi there!

I am studying height and growth for my degree, and also the way society views these issues. I would be very interested to hear more from you about your experiences. You can get me at [ deleted ]

Thanks,
Simon.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 06-13-2005 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Do not post off-board contact info.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM   #11
(female)

always413 HB User
I wouldn't do growth hormones personally, the cost and the sheer chance that they will not necc. create a huge spurt... plus the complications that could occur... it's your money and health, and most times they are done right around puberty, and for people who suffer from an illness or disease that makes them excessively short- it doesn't hurt to check into it, but there are never any promises

It's pretty well agreed on that a male will stop growing around 20 or so, so really it's up in the air, you may have another spurt, you may not...

I personally wouldn't worry about it. In the real world, height is nothing compared to your ability to handle yourself with confidence and working hard and your talents... and it should not have an effect on your goals and asperations [unless they're something sort of far-fetched in the long run anyways...].
Height shouldn't hinder your effect in way of relationships, if someone bases your "relationship-likely-hood" strictly on your height, then they're shallow and not even worth your time anyways. Act with confidence and be yourself, that's all that matters in the long run.

don't believe me? I"m 5'1" and 20 years old... and I haven't grown since I was 16 or 17 maybe... I've dated guys that were 5'3" all the way up to my current boyfriend who is 6'... height? pfff... the personality and how they treat people is more important than their height [and for the record, his height isn't why I"m with him... I and many other women will put things before that...]

as far as goals, I'm an upright bassist, I stand to play and with my pin settings it's about 5'6" -5'8"- there are people who are 4'8" that are known to play an upright despite the " you're too short"... [*added after thought*:] on another note: my sis is just 5' flat and is in the military and top of her class and rank- and tons of people were saying her height [and her gender] would prevent her from getting anywhere in life, let alone with in the army... so height really shouldn't effect your goals or dreams or interests... as long as you apply yourself, act confident and always try your best no matter what, you should be fine.

[*nother afterthought* my apologies] and remember "Good things come in small packages"

**re-edited in addition to mod to rephrase/clarify some things... and dumb grammatical errors and what not**

Last edited by always413; 06-13-2005 at 05:58 PM.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 PM   #12

truthseeker HB User

Always, it is a little bit unfair for a girl to respond giving advice to a guy on height. First off, height is an issue with guys because society makes it one. The taller guy is perceived to be all positive: leadership qualities etc. And, women generally prefer taller guys-most do. You say you dated a short guy 63 inches; but now, you're with a guy 6 feet tall and you are just 5'1".

The problem is short girls are all taken by tall guys, not because tall guys are more cooler it it just based on preference. Girls only use height as the factor. They often want give a short guy a chance because they feel the shorter you are the more insecure you will be. When I say short guy I mean under 5'6". Guy's 5'5" and under let me say guys under 5'4" really have it hard.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:57 PM   #13
(female)

Bekki HB User

Personally, I'd rather be short than tall... During all of my school years, I was in the top 3 tallest in my class... Thank goodness I've stopped growing at almost 5'11" ..
Although my 18 year old sister is 6'1" ... A lot of the time, I wish I was shorter....

Old 06-19-2005, 02:10 PM   #14
(female)

cynical HB User

Thanks everybody! =)

Personally, I'm not too worried. It's my parents that always nag me with things like: "exercise more!", or "look at how short you are! you need to eat more!" And then stuff my bowl with a load of food.. =/ I can't convince them that exercising and eating won't really make me grow taller... it's just really frustrating doing things like that, when it' really won't do anything to me...

Old 06-24-2005, 08:12 AM   #15
(female)

bre200789 HB User

hey, i'm almost 16, and i'm a lil bit UNDER 5 feet tall, it doesn't really bother me that much though, except finding pants the right length as someone said before. You should love your body the way it is, if someone doesn't like it, then that is sad, they should not dislike someone because of how they look, everyone is unique, don't forget that, and being shorter than other people isin't such a bad thing. Hope I helped

Last edited by bre200789; 06-25-2005 at 08:58 PM.

Closed Thread