It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2005, 05:46 AM   #1
(female)

chrissybug HB User
help, belly button piercing

i've had my belly button pierced for like 2 years i think and it's been staying infected a lot lately, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna have to get a new ring sometime, but when i got it changed last time the guy there said what he gave me should help heal it up but it hasn't, my skin is weird anyways lol like when i use to have my ears pierced i could only wear 14 kt gold earrings. but anyways i just wanted to know if its okay to take out the belly ring for a few days? will the hole close up? i thought maybe taking it out for a few days might help some.

Old 04-22-2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User
Re: help, belly button piercing

I think if you take it out it will close for sure. You body is fighting to heal it right now even with it in there. I dont know what that guy gave you but i would just start using antibacterial soap 2 or 3 times a day on it, making sure you clean the jewerly and keep in clean. Dont touch it with your fingers unless they are clean.

You said this is recently, did you just put new jewerely in, maybe its a cheap medal and it should be replaced.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
(female)

iluvamystery HB User

chrissy...i'm like you, i can only wear gold earrings in my ears-no costume jewelry. perhaps your piercing would heal if you had a 14k gold belly button ring? if you ****** "14k gold belly button ring" you'll get a LOT of hits! good luck

Old 04-23-2005, 08:22 AM   #4
(female)

iluvamystery HB User

oops, sorry, that starred word...well, if i say it, there'll be more stars, lol. but if you do an internet search, you'll see what i mean.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

chrissybug HB User

i forgot what kind of metal i have is called i'd have to ask my mom but when i got it changed the guy there at the piercing place said that the kind of metal on the ring i have now should help some but it didn't, the first ring i had the one they give you when they pierce it well i got one of the circular ones and that one seemed to work out fine for awhile.

Old 04-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #6
(female)

chrissybug HB User

thats what i thought i would have to do find a 14kt gold ring, but i didn't even think they sold them that much....even when i went to the piercing place they didn't have anything 14 kt gold

Old 04-23-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
(female)

mjbbtt HB User

i also had that problem a word to the wise NEVER touch your belly button and then touch your eyes or rub your eyes without washing your hands first i accidentally did this and got a nasty eye infection, my belly button just never healed i also have that problem with my ears my belly button ring infection got so bad i just had to take out the ring and leave it out, i know it sucked!

Old 04-23-2005, 09:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

it doesnt make sense that you've had this for 2 years and you are now having troubles with it. Something had to change. If it was the fact that you needed 14k gold then this problem would have started right when you got it pierced.

Thats why i mentioned did you change it recently that it started to act up? Also you can get 14k gold belly rings by doing a search online. But over 2 years im sure you've changed your belly ring more then once right? So have you bought a new belly ring and thats when it started to act up?

And are you using the anti bacterial soap. That will help. Dont put any ointment like neosporin or anything that wont help.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
(female)

chrissybug HB User

ummm.....i got it changed a few months ago i think. i went to the piercing place and they changed the ring

prolly doesn't help i dont clean it like every day with antibacterial soap lol....i get so lazy when it comes to that. i do use like peroxide on it and ummm an ointment called hydrocortisone, some guy at the piercing place said it'd help clear up infection

Old 04-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
(female)

hottie990 HB User
Exclamation Re: help, belly button piercing

well my friend was so insaine she did it herself because her parents wouldn't let her and it got so infected dont try to do it urself

Old 04-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

dont use peroxide, and stop using that hydro stuff unless you see it helping. Start washing it 2 or 3 times a day with anti bacterial soap. you've had it for 2 years so this isnt something you should be having an issue with ive had mine for about 4 years and havent had a problem with it?

Once its healed again just stick to good jewelery

Old 04-28-2005, 01:30 AM   #12
(female)

chrissybug HB User

well when i use that hydrocortisone it seems to like take some of the puffy-ness out of it, i should be using it everyday but i'll usually forget about it. but i really am gonna start using it everyday now and cleaning it with antibacterial soap i've been slacking off so bad lol. but like i said before even when i had my ears pierced i found out i couldn't wear anything fake, like i had to had 14 kt gold but i didn't really find out i needed to use 14 kt for awhile. my skin is so weird, i guess it takes awhile for it to react to something. i'm hoping my belly piercing will heal up so i can get this one changed out, i dont think the guy knew what he was talking about when he told me it was the best kind to use.

Old 05-03-2005, 06:03 AM   #13
(male)

WBruno HB User
Exclamation Re: help, belly button piercing

ok - here is your answer as I am a body piercer.

#1 - that guy who told you that is retarded.
#2 Immediately stop use of both the peroxide and hydrocortizone.
Peroxide is too strong and will kill not only the germs but the platelets and white blood cells and all the other things your bodyuses to fight infections and promot healing. You can use a dilute solution of peroxide if you wish but not straight. This is why we primarily use peroxide on a new cut and then stop use unless dirt gets into it again.

Hydrocortizone may help the puss, but the reason is that it s a drying agent, which is one of the reasons it is used as hemorroid therapy. Drying out healing skin wont help you.

#3 dont taker out that jewelry as it will open the "wound" to more germs which can be worse.

Use antibacterial soap but make sure it has no deodorants ot fragrences as then can irritate your skin . which kinda negates the point of using the antibacterial soap. I suggest orange Dial. DO NOT OVERWASH. excessive washing can do the same as that straight peroxide. Remeber your body has this natural ability that pre-dates modern medicines and solutions. So overdoing it can be bad. sea salt can promote healing but is not required. salt is just another disinfectant. I dont usually worry about it. Then thing that is important it to make sure your hand are clean.. wash them with that same AB soap before touching. Apply BACITRACIN to cover the ontire piercing and move the jewelry through it to so that it goes inside a little too. Thin my opinion is the most important thing. Heres what the bacitracin does. (oh make sure you arent allergic)

It lubricated the jewelry so that it doesnt irritate the skin when moving.
It it anti-bacterial so it helps to fight the infection.
It is grease based so it creates a barrier to new dirt and germs .
It can be absorbes by the skin and keeps it hydrated so the skin doesnt dry out.

So try that-- Id say a few days should do it. once you apply the bacitracin you can wipe the excess from around the piercing with a cotton ball or tissue.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:47 PM   #14
(female)

chrissybug HB User

WBruno--thanks SO much, finally someone that explains it completely lol and since you said you said you are a body piercer i believe more of what you said than anyone elses lol. but again thanks ALOT i'm going to try what you said to do and see how that works out

oh and one more thing that maybe you can answer, i always thought it was maybe the type of jewelry i had in that's why it kept getting infected, and thought i needed 14 kt gold but if i did need that then when i first got it pierced then it would of gotten infected immediately cause the ring the guy put in was sterling silver i think. and after reading what you said i dont think it'd change much to change it again, but just try what you said with cleaning it and everything

Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM   #15
(male)

i97 HB User

YOU DON'T NEED PIERCINGS!!!

I had my left ear pierced because all of my popular friends did. It got infected. I took it out. It closed up. I get more girls than the ones with piercings. If you are about to go gothic with the piercings, you will not be liked. Bellybutton would be kind of cute but it does not mean the world. Take it out. Stay untill its healed COMPLETELY. Give it another shot. if it still doesn't work, YOU ARE FINE.

Closed Thread