It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2005, 02:05 PM   #1

ashley123 HB User
Question how do you know when to stop drinkin?

I mean once you start drinkin how do you know when to stop? are you still able to make the choice to stop or is your mind not really all there.. if i've never been drunk before how much can i expect to drink before getting a buzz, or becoming drunk? whats it like when you are drunk? and how does tolerance work?

Old 06-26-2005, 04:09 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

princess72 HB User
Re: how do you know when to stop drinkin?

Your body weight has alot to do with how much you can tolerate. Be careful also when you are just starting to drink. With alcohol, your body can build a tolerance----and then it can take many more before you get a buzz or drunk. Also make sure you arent "drinking to get drunk" this can be a problem in the future..if continued to do so. Most of the time you know when to quit......except for myself....i am a recovering alcohlic......anywayz, when you feel a buzz, i think you should stop.....most people have 2 maybe 3 and they are good to go. The faster you drink----the faster you get drunk! That is why when they determine blood alcohol levels....they go by how many drinks you are able to drink in an hour, determined your body weight. For instance: A man who weighs 240lbs can probably tolerate more alcohol than a man who is 150lbs!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2005, 04:51 PM   #3
(female)

RiotGirl00 HB User

Yea...
It really depends on your height/weight. If you're small you can get drunk super fast. It also depends on what you're drinking. If you're drinking hard liquor it won't take much at all... as opposed to lighter stuff, such as beer, wine coolers, hard lemonades, etc. The alcohol percentage in a drink matters a lot.

If you've never been drunk before, or don't drink too often, you'll get drunk faster than a person who drinks a lot.

So as you can tell, it depends on a lot of things.
But if you've never drank before and are planning to do so... I suggest you take it very, very easy. If you're going to drink hard liquor, make sure you mix like a shot with a cup of juice or a good chaser.
Drink it slowly so you can determine how strong your buzz is. As soon as you feel a slight buzz, stop drinking. You'll know when you're buzzed.. It's like a slight dizzy feeling, and you'll probably feel really happy (if you're in the right mood).
Sometimes people get carried away and keep drinking after they get a buzz... so they get drunk quicker than they realize... which is not a very good idea.
Drinking too much will also make you very nauseous... you may throw up and feel really horrible. So make sure you don't overdo it.

I remember a few times I drank way too quickly, and the drinks were really strong. So by the time I was drunk, I had no idea what was going on. The next morning I woke up and couldn't remember 80% of the stuff that happened the night before.
Thankfully I was with some very good friends and my boyfriend, who took really good care of me. I ended up puking and passing out on the bathroom floor (couldn't get up, I was way too dizzy)... so my boyfriend had to make sure I didn't sleep in the bathroom or choke on my own vomit or whatever.

So yea.. you can have some really bad experiences if you're inexperienced when it comes to alcohol.
If you're going to drink make sure you're with people you trust with your life, know your tolerance, and never ever drive drunk!
Oh, and do make sure to eat before you drink. Drinking on an empty stomach can be painful... but don't overeat because then you'll probably end up puking all over the place.
Have fun.

Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

The only name not taken HB User

When u drink, you first start to lose your inhabitions, you just losen up. (Thats 2-3 drinks)

Later, you start to lose coordination, and you stumble around a little, not hugely, but a bit. (thats 4-5 drinks).

Then, you start talkin like an idiot, saying stuff that makes absolutely no sense, and makin a general *** of yourself. (Thats 6-7 drinks).

Lastly, you cant stand up, you throw up everywhere, you cant talk coherently. (Thats 8 and what ever else you can stomach).

Basically, when you start to have trouble walkin perfectly straight, your tipsy. Thats a good point to stay. You'll have a good time, blend nicely with everyone, but not be a fool. Just be mindful of how your feeling while your drinking, and slow down every so often to gauge how your doin. You'll be fine.

Old 07-03-2005, 01:52 AM   #5
(female)

liljo HB User

i usually drink double archers with lemonade
i stop after 3 for about 30 mins dont even contemplate another drink just so i can gage how drunk i am, i alway always stop at 5
cos im only 4ft9 and weigh bout 8 stone so im pretty small and 5 doubles is pretty much alot 4 me

i'd deffo follow guide lines given by The only name not taken
cos thats about right 4 anyone
alway stop b4 u land flat on ur *** or on ur face cos it hurts lol

Old 07-03-2005, 07:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

One good way to stop drinking before you become drunk is not to drink in the first place. I'm assuming that you're a teen because you're posting on the "teen health" board, so it's really not a good idea to drink illegally in the first place. But, even though I don't drink, I know many teens do, so here's a way to tell- there's lots of blood alcohol conversion charts on the Internet. You really shouldn't drink more than one beer, a glass of wine, or one shot of hard liquor per hour. Anymore than that is considered "binge drinking" and will end up in you becoming totally wasted.
-GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 07-06-2005, 12:35 AM   #7
(female)

sonya99 HB User
Girl, you need a reality check!

Stay safe, and prevent yourself from getting fall-down, pukey, rapable drunk. Get a buzz, feel your inhibitions fade, but don't drink more than a couple of beers or the evivalent of a couple of beers. Anyway, there are more efficient highs (wink-wink).

Old 07-07-2005, 09:55 AM   #8
(female)

Blue_Flamingo HB User

From personal experience: I'm 5'3, 105 lbs and 2 drinks of vodka (40% alcohol)/pepsi was good for me...just enough to make you tipsy, but not so much that you don't remember what happened the next morning.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

JinL HB UserJinL HB User

Each drink removes a layer of civilized morals. After several drinks anything is OK. The trick is to know when to stop with some decency remaining, some can't stop.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:50 PM   #10
(female)

star05 HB User

to me...i knew when to stop drinking... i knew i was doing stupid stuff i would regret and didnt want to do anything worse
also as you drink more you build up more of a tolerance so you can drink more each time before it affects you

Old 11-01-2005, 09:54 PM   #11
(male)

cabalcjp HB User

Just stay away from drinking to begin with, why start a problem when you can stop one before it starts?

Closed Thread