It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #1
(female)

momentofclarity HB User
Question 2 problems about weight and self esteem

Okay, my first problem is that I want to lose weight, but I have a very slow metabolism and I tend to turn to food for comfort. I've tried strict diets before, but the minute I eat anything unhealthy I go on serious binges and the diet is failed. I'm hoping to find a diet and exercise program that's flexible and that targets the stomach and inner thigh areas. Please post ideas! Also, are there any metabolism increasing drugs that are safe for teens?

On to problem number 2: I'm 16 and I've NEVER had a boyfriend. My friends assure me that the only reason I don't have one is because I have low self confidence, so I won't flirt or even try to socialize with guys. It still seems wierd to me that the only people that think I'm pretty are my friends and family. And I really do try to talk. Guys just show no interest in me, and I can't help but feel that they don't like me because I'm overweight. Guys aren't the only reason I want to lose weight, though. I want to feel healthy and confident. But it takes a long time to lose weight, and I'm kinda hoping that some guys are deep enough to look past my weight and like me because I'm nice and outgoing. So I have two questions for this problem.
For Guys: Is weight always an issue? Maybe it's just the town I live in, but it seems that guys would rather go out with an ugly, bitchy girl with a nice body than a pretty, nice girl who's overweight. Is that really the case?
For Everyone: Can you really tell when someone has low self esteem and does it affect the way you think of them?

The following user gives a hug of support to momentofclarity:
BabyGurl2013 (06-15-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2005, 09:08 PM   #2
(female)

RiotGirl00 HB User
Re: 2 problems about weight and self esteem

I don't really know much about exercise. I don't do it myself... terrible, I know.
I can't say that I eat very healthy either.. and I'm pretty sure that my metabolism is not very fast (why would it be, all I do is eat unhealthy food and never exercise), yet somehow I manage to keep my weight average...
So I don't have any great tips when it comes to all that.
But I'm sure you can figure it out on your own.
Eat healthy, cut out sweets, drink lots of water...
As for exercise, walking is probably the best in my opinion. Now that it's summer you can easily just go out to a park or something.
That's what I do when I'm bored. It's fun and it's healthy.

And about those drugs. I don't trust any weightloss drugs out there. So I would definitely suggest that you don't take any metabolism boosters or whatever. The only sure way is to do it naturally... good diet and exercise.
I mean pills are great, they can save lives... but diet stuff just seems really fishy. I don't like the potential side-effect.
So I wouldn't try that. You never know exactly how safe any of that stuff is.
----------------------------------------
I'm not a guy but I'll try and answer your question anyway... It really depends on where you live I guess. If you surround yourself with a lot of open-minded people, you won't have dating problems.
Everyone has different tastes in the types of people they like. I'm sure you're not that overweight that it would affect you relationship status that much.
If a guy really likes you, he won't care all that much about what you look like.
Besides, that's the kind of a guy you're looking for anyway. He's out there, and in time you will find that person.
Don't stress over it. Realtionships can be very stressful and make other problems worse.
Be happy with yourself before you decide to make a committment to someone else.
I've been in a relationship with the same guy for over 14 months, and trust me, it's a lot of work. Sometimes I just want time to myself and that can be hard to achieve. It takes up a lot of energy and can be very stressful.
Take it slow... wait till you find the right person.

And the self-esteem... sadly people do notice. I've had self-esteem issues and people can really tell. It's not everyone, the people you surround yourself on a daily basis are the ones who notice it the most.
But boosting your self-esteem shouldn't be that hard.
As long as you love yourself no matter what, make whatever changes you need in order to feel happy with yourself, your self-esteem will be fine.

Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM   #3
(male)

RockMyBoat HB User
Re: 2 problems about weight and self esteem

Yeah, most guys want a slim girl, especially if they are young guys. Being slim gives sexual attraction, which is very very often important in relationships. I wouldn't worry about finding a relationship if you're only 16; but do focus on keeping yourself well groomed and yes, losing weight.

Closed Thread