It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

grandpapa HB User
Serious worries about my period

I haven't had my period in three and a half months. I wasn't too worried at the beginning, my periods are always late. However when the end of the third month started to draw near I was extremely worried, it'd never stopped for this long. I started going through the list of all the possible explinations because even though there was no blood, the cramps and the increased hormones continued normally as if it was all in check. Just recently I have found that my body is giving off very dark brown discharge with just the slightest bit of blood. I'm worried to think of what this might mean.
Right now I'm suffering from a cold, just before that I experienced a long standing, painful cramp and then the discharge started. I put a pantyliner in my underwear just in case, and 'my version' of a tampon (which is just rolled up toilet paper, I don't like having an excess of tampons just lying about so I go the bio degreadable route). More of the discharge started showing but it has stopped for the most part since my cold has come.

I've made it my decision that if by the next month I have still no period I will consult my doctor, but before I do that is there any information about what this might be? Any help and comments appreciated.

-grandpa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 10:03 PM   #2
(female)

Melissa1983 HB User
Re: Serious worries about my period

Ok, wow.. start using tampons!!!!! Using a rolled up piece of toilet paper and inserting into your vagina is DANGEROUS. You DO NOT want something bio degreadable in your vagina. If piece of this toilet paper ever break off (which they always will because toilet paper is so thin), these pieces can (AND WILL) float off of the main "tampon-like" roll and potentially can get stuck in your vagina. Not really "stuck", but when you pull the rolled up piece out, they won't come out with it.

Now this is the part where I explain why you shouldn't use this "tampon". These pieces are not fully bio degreadable When you are menstrating, no matter how much or how little, you are shedding the lining of your uterus. This contains blood, obviously. When this blood is soaked up by a regular tampon, it cannot stay inside your body for very long. This is why they suggest leaving tampons in for only 4-6 hours. Any longer and you are at risk of Toxic Shock Syndrome. When you use that "make-shift" tampon, and tiny pieces of toilet paper break off, the absorbed blood remained on these pieces and inside your vagina. This provides a perfect atmosphere for some really nasty bacteria to grow. Bacteria leads to an infection, especially if the foreign bodies (the pieces of toilet paper) remain in your vagina.

I suggest going to the doctor and getting check for a vaginal infection, or even a urinary tract infection. These might be the reasons for your missed/light periods.

Do your health a favor and buy tampons from now on. Get a cute little box to put them in, if you are worried about them "laying" around. Would you rather have tampons in a box in your house, or an infection that could be very dangerous to your health.

Last edited by Melissa1983; 08-24-2005 at 10:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-24-2005, 10:17 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

grandpapa HB User

I'm very careful about cleaning out my vagina. I've had cases wear bits of toilet paper have floated off but they were found almost immediatly. I didn't mean bio degreadable in that sense, just that I could flush them which I something I prefer.

I understand the perameters for TSS perfectly and it couldn't happen to me because I take the 'tampons' (even regular ones) out whenever I go to the bathroom, which is anywhere from half an hour to three hours when I have my period.

You've raised some interesting points though and I will make sure to address them to my doctor when I visit.

Old 08-25-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
(female)

Melissa1983 HB User

Another suggestion - the new "Beyond" tampons are amazing. Totally flushable and I reccommend them imensely.

Old 08-26-2005, 08:01 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

grandpapa HB User

alright I will, thanks.

Any idea of what the problem might be though?

Old 08-26-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
(female)

Vanima HB User

Well, for me what I eat has a lot to do with how often my periods come. The more sugar/carbs that I eat the more irregular they come.
Did you change your diet or anything? Start working? New excersize program??? Anything at all???

Old 08-26-2005, 04:33 PM   #7
(female)

Melissa1983 HB User

It sounds like you might have some sort of urinary tract infection - the dark-ish brown discharge. These infections sometimes delay or cause you to miss periods. Also, as mentioned in the above post, your diet, exercise, stress level might be the cause. I'd go see your doctor to do a simple urine test to at least eliminate the UTI possibility. Then, from there, you and your doctor can try to come to some conclusions as to why you've missed a couple periods. Hope everything works out, and try not to stress about it. Also, is there a possibility you could be pregnant? Obviously that is something that causes a woman to miss her period. Although highly doubtful, just a question. Good luck!

Old 08-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

grandpapa HB User

oh no, not pregnant. haha, though it would be interesting.

I have stopped eating certain things, that could deginatly be a possibility. I don't think it could be an infection, those usually come with, pain, right?

Old 08-28-2005, 03:38 PM   #9
(female)

Melissa1983 HB User

Not really.. infections come with all sorts of symptoms. Some stay dormant, and you might not even realize you have one. Different bacteria act in different ways. Principle suggestion is to go the your doc.

Old 08-28-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Piranna65 HB User

all tampons are flushable, just the applicators are not other then the brand mentioned above. Invest in a box they are worth it. Toilet paper is a bad idea! If your young your body is still adjusting. I was having two periods a month when I first started and honestly I never became regulated until I jumped onto birth control.

If you are having the symptoms with now discharge or just a tiny bit then your body may not be producing a lot? I know I had one scare where I had no period while on b/c and i was schedualed for my yearly around that time and doc confirmed there was some "in there" it just wasnt enough to be noticible? I dont know why this would happen for 3 months my only guess is that your still adjusting?

May be worth seeing your gyno. goodluck!

Closed Thread