It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2005, 04:00 PM   #1
(female)

mercedes10 HB User
12 yr old have terrible menstral cramps

Hi All,

Need some advice from other parents with pre-teens. I have a 12 year old that just started her monthly cycle. I walked her through the 1st month fine. She seemed okay, but during her 2nd month she had to miss two days of school because she was crying in pain (cramps) in the nurse's office all morning. I though it was just the hormonal changes that was happening to her body but her crying lasted almost all day in addition to her throwing up her breakfast.

At any rate, she was sent home from school due to the ongoing crying. What can I give her to alleviate the cramping? I called the Doctor and he suggested Advil. Any other suggestions? I am concern about her taking Advil every month at such a young age.

Secondly, I don't want her to miss school one to two days per month due to her cramping but what else can I do to help the situation?

Old 12-15-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
(female)

CrewBlue08 HB User
Smile Re: 12 yr old have terrible menstral cramps

Hi,

I had the exact same thing happen to me when I started my period. My doctors automatically wanted to put me on prescription Vioxx, but I thought that would be too potent of a drug for menstrual cramps. I tried a lot of other medications, including Advil, but I felt that Aleve worked best. Even though Aleve is a naproxen sodium based drug while Advil is ibuprofen based, it isnít any more or less dangerous to use.

Iíd suggest for her to try Advil or Aleve type medicines first. If that doesnít help, she should probably try to see a doctor for a gynecological exam.

Itís also important to keep in mind that she hasnít had that many periods, so she probably isnít used to the type of discomfort sheís feeling. The more periods she goes through, the more sheíll get used to it. I recall my first periods were so excruciatingly painful that I missed several school days at a time. But now, with a combination of Aleve and just being used to it, I barely notice. Hope this helps, and good luck!

Jess

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

msdancecheer HB User
Re: 12 yr old have terrible menstral cramps

Midol teen works great since it is a low dose Good Luck

Old 12-16-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

_mystictiger_ HB User
Re: 12 yr old have terrible menstral cramps

I had the same problem to at her age. I still do now. When I was younger I was given some tablets by my doctor. I cant remember the name but they began with M. A long name. Anyway they worked a treat for a while until my body becamse used to them and wouldn't work for me any more. Now I take codeine or cocodamol.

Ask your doctor for some perscription tablets for the pain. If nothing works then she might need birth control as this regulates her periods, lowers down the amount of blood and help with the cramps. But shes probably too young for this yet. Im really not sure. But see your doctor for some medication to help.

Closed Thread