It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2006, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

AJ John HB User
Prom Night is near....

Prom night is near and i dont have a chance to get a date...i'm on my junior year in highschool..there is people who have gone to prom since their freshman year! i dont know what i should do..even if i worked up the courage to ask someone out (which i definetly doubt), prom is in 2 days. i dont think i will have time to get ready..i feel like such a looser right now....i'm terrified that when prom night comes, my parents ask me whats going on. the honest answer would be "i'm a looser at school and i couldnt get a date".i'm also terrified of going back to school after prom night, everyone would have gone to prom exept me...and when they start joking me about it..ugh...i just wanna kill myself just by thinking about it....

Old 04-27-2006, 06:17 PM   #2
(female)

IcyDestiny HB User
Re: Prom Night is near....

you dont have to go to the prom with a girl u like.. just ask a friend

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
(male)

AJ John HB User

....lets be serious here...no guy in my school would want to go to prom with a guy! thats just...gay... but thats not the point....i just dont know what to do...

Old 05-16-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
(female)

piner08 HB User

im pretty sure they meant take a girl that u consider a friend that way there isnt that romantic pressure otherwise just go stag hang out with whoever u want and do wat you want pressure free believe me you'll regret not going

Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

minnesotagirl HB User

You don't have to go to prom at all. At my school there were lots of people who didn't go. Now that I'm in my 20's (OK-late 20's at age 27), I have TONS of friends who never went to their high school prom. It might seem like everyone is going, or it might seem like some sort of right of passage, but its really not that big of a deal. You aren't missing out on anything but wasting a bunch of money and going through a bunch of goofy formalities that society says we must go through (like buying your date a corsage, getting a limo, etc. etc. ... who cares -- I bet you can think of more fun things to do!).

Your parents love you and I doubt they'd be disappointed that you don't go to some silly dance.

I did go to my junior prom but not my senior prom, because I was with the same guy the next year - he was 9 years older than me. He must've felt like an idiot going to a junior prom at his age! We ended up getting married and divorced, but if I hadn't been with him, I know I would'nt have gone to my prom - and so what? It was not that big of a deal.

And, if prom is really important to you -- you always have next year -- they say the senior prom is the most important (who are "they" anyway, I don't know) -- you have to plan ahead, because it can take months for a girl to find a dress and for you to make dinner reservations and all that crap (really, it is just crap -- basically people trying to get you to spend your money on things you otherwise wouldn't buy). So next year, or even over the summer, start making friendships with girls you have things in common with. Or, look for girls who aren't going to prom this year.

The kids who go to prom every year since they are a freshman are wasting their money. And that isn't that common anyway, so don't feel left out.

Whoever says you'll regret it - that just depends on who you are. I know I wouldn't regret it now if I never went - its not like a big highlight for me, it was just another date with my boyfriend at the time, big deal.

Old 05-18-2006, 06:08 PM   #6
(female)

beforeXdishonor HB User

I didn't go to prom, and I didn't regret it at all.
To me, Prom is so overrated. And if who you are is judged by if you go to prom or not, Do you really want to be a part of something so shallow?

If you want to go for you, GO.

If you want to go because you are afraid people will make fun of you, stay home.
There's no sense in working your life around the oppinions of others. You do what you want to do, and not what people think will make you cool.
Being awesome is being able to do what you want to do, on your terms, not theirs.

High School and even Middle School is just a big pressure party, that later in your life your going to say to yourself anyways " I didn't enjoy it because I was too busy trying to compliment everyone else, instead of myself". Save yourself the agony. No matter who you are, you are going to go through some sort of social pressure in school. Make the best out of it for you.

Closed Thread