It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User
Hairy, Hairy Legs

My son (15) and I (way older)... are having a friendly debate about the proper course of action to take on his very hairy legs.

Background: He is blond, wears shorts everyday, so wearing pants is not an option. Cool kid, girls love him, so he can't do something freaky. Do teenage males shave (or wax)their legs ? Thanks!

Last edited by writeleft; 02-05-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
(female)

loralei HB User
Re: Hairy, Hairy Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by writeleft View Post
My son (15) and I (way older)... are having a friendly debate about the proper course of action to take on his very hairy legs.

Background: He is blond, wears shorts everyday, so wearing pants is not an option. Cool kid, girls love him, so he can't do something freaky. Do teenage males shave (or wax)their legs ? Thanks!
Girls love him so he can't do something freaky? At 15 he does not need to be worried about girls yet, but that's my opinion. I know some male swimmers do shave their legs and bodies. I don't think a ton of regular guys do it, but it's really a personal decision for him. I think guys tend to shave their chest and armpits more than anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Thanks Loralei,

By "freaky", I meant something he would be teased, or tormented by. In my day, of course men didn't shave their legs...thus the question. He hasn't decided yet, so we appreciate your opinion!

Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Choice HB User

Trimming leg hair is becoming popular for young men. An electric clipper is used. He could start with the 1/2" attachment, and if he'd like it shorter, go down to the 3/8" or 1/4" attachment.

If the hair is blond, it's probably not all that noticeable. If the hair is dark and coarse, laser hair removal could help reduce the density of the hair.

In my "day" 15 year old boys with noticeable leg hair were considered virile! How times change!

The Following User Says Thank You to Choice For This Useful Post:
almorr (03-27-2012)
Old 03-13-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Redneon82 HB User

Trimming is a good option. That way he won't be teased as being "girly" if he shaved, waxed, or used a cream.

Funnily enough, my guy has a hairy chest that he got in high school. He found it to be tremendously embarrassing, since none of his friends had hair on their chests. He still hates it at 35, but I love it & hate bald chests on men! And my son is 6'4" at age 18 and hates being that tall. I love tall men! We are never happy with what we have, are we?

Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
(male)

greengrass HB User

As a male I would leave it alone, if his not fussed about it and it not causing problems at school why cut it! A kind of if it aint broke don't try to fix it senario.

For men the more you cut the quicker it grows the thicker it becomes. If he is a hit with the ladies and it was just an off the wall discussion let it lie. What ever he decides just be cool with it and don't get me wrong but at 15 being a hit is all good so don't think he is too young and he should be concentrating on school. He will still be thinking about many things even if you do bury your head in the sand, this is the time your guidence is need the most. So be the cool mom you sound to be, open and honest and watch out for activity so you can steer him in the right direction.

The Following User Says Thank You to greengrass For This Useful Post:
almorr (04-04-2012)
Old 03-13-2009, 01:25 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Thank you...and greengrass, you hit the nail on the head. He has forgotten about the whole thing, now that he's starting to shave his face. I think he realized shaving is a hassle.

I couldn't be happier with my son, he's got a lot of great friends, is really smart, and does a lot of after school sports, and has never been in the least of trouble. ..knock on wood. Oh, and you were right about another thing-I am a cool mom! ha ha

Thanks again for your responses

The Following User Says Thank You to writeleft For This Useful Post:
almorr (04-04-2012)
Closed Thread