It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 01:59 PM   #1
(female)

tiny111 HB User
Does age really matter when it comes to love?

I was always raised that there is no such thing as a lasting love, especially when you're a teenager. I was taught that there are too many fish in the sea to choose one at an early age to be with for the rest of your life. But despite what I was taught, I feel differently. My boyfriend and I are both seniors in high school and have been together for nine months. And we are completely in love with each other. We tell each other everything, always want to spend time together, encourage each other to do our best, and our laidback and outgoing demeanors make our arguments hardly anything at all. We know that we want to marry each other and spend our lives together. But everyone thinks we're too young to think that like that, except for his grandparents who have been together since they met in eighth grade and had a long and happy marriage. I honestly think that true love and the one your meant to be with can be found at any point in your life, even though my family disagrees. I wondered what everyone's opinion is on love and age and if you can really find the one you want to share forever with, even if you're only in high school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

River rocks HB User
Re: Does age really matter when it comes to love?

Good question!

Age has less to do with the logevity of "true love" than maturity. It depends on how mature and wise you are. Experience does help, because it gives you tools and lessons learned along the way. However, if you two are in love and are willing to go through all of the bumps and things you will learn in life together then go for it and give it a try, you could be the couple that meets in hightschool and stay together forever. It does happen sometimes.

My boyfriend was married for 24 years. He met his wife when he was 16 and they married when they were 18. They raised a family and to be honest, their marriage and happiness lasted longer than a lot of other couples who were more "experinced" in life!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

only time will tell!!!!
don't worry about it, enjoy your relationship. If it changes and you move on, you will survive, but why worry about that now?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I think at your age you can most certainly be in love. Real love. The thing that tends to complicate it- and the reason so many "young loves" don't work out is because you are still growing as a person and so is the other person. You are both changing. Sometimes that's ok and you stay in love- but more often than not you will grow apart as you each become the people you are growing into.

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Larrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB UserLarrylou'smom HB User

Love and marriage are two different things. I think it's possible to really love someone at 17, but that's no reason to rush marriage. There are a lot of other things that go into marriage than love, believe it or not.

I think it's fine to be in love and to believe it will last forever. But the fact of the matter is, life will mold and shape who you are, jobs, friends, losses, college, successes, failures, and you will not be the same person at 30 as you are at 17. You won't even be the same person at 21 as you are at 17. The real test is whether you guys can grow and change together without growing apart, smothering each other, or outgrowing each other. There's a reason why the divorce rate among couples who marry at 24 or younger is sooo much higher than older couples.

It's fine to be in love. But give it some time before you rush into marriage. Marriage is a whole other ball game. Just enjoy being young and in love.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:45 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Hey tiny111,

I think you can find 'true love' at any time during your life. I wouldnt start to think about getting married yet because you are still quite young. Being married doesn't change anything from what it is now, its just a peace of paper in the end. Its what you both feel about each other when your relationship is tested by lifes events.

Dan

Old 07-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
(male)

whiskeycat HB User

I always amazed why young people today want to get married so early in life. by the time I was 23 years old I had seen a lot of the world. I got to travel all through Asia and then went up to Canada.

Closed Thread