It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
(female)

StarWarsFan94 HB User
Unhappy Pain in Left Side of Chest

I don't know if i'm in the right place, but anyway. I am a 16 year-old female, am 5' 10" and weigh about 145 pounds. I do a cardio class at the Y.M.C.A., but thats about it for excersise. I'm a non-smoker and a non-drinker(obviously).I'm not overweight either. Last month, I had this pain in the left side of my chest. I went to the doctor for it, and he took and x-ray of my heart and took about 4 viles of blood(don't know what he tested them for). He said that everything was normal, and that it wasn't anything to worry about. Well, the pain has been going on and off for about a month. The pain is kinda hard to describe. It feels different in different places.Sometimes its right by my sternum(which I guess you could say is like an achy feeling. I'm thinking its possible Costochondritis, but not sure), while others its by my lower rib bone(Which is kinda like a sharp pain...I guess). Then its right by my heart(which freaks me out. I don't know how to describe this pain. Its noramally very brief and I normally don't have it hurting in that area. It does sometimes though) and then I'll get it by my armpit(When its here it feels like a sore muscle). It really scares me, because I'm all freaked out that its Heart Disease, a Heart Attack, or Cancer. It hurts sometimes when I take a deep breath, but not always. Sometimes it hurts when i slouch and others when I am just sitting down doing nothing. It doesn't hurt all day, but just throughout the day. Some days I don't have any problem with it, but other days I do. I did notice though, that when I'm on my cycle I tend to feel it more. I also had a weird feeling in my throat for one day, but I think that was because I was getting all worked up. My back muscle also hurts sometimes, and that scares me because I'm some of the symptoms for heart attack is pain in your back!!! I am a HUGE worrier, so that doesn't help at all. I make myself sick(not literally) because I worry SO much about it. There are no heart problems on either my mom's or my dad's side of the family. I was reading that some people went to the chiropractor for their chest pain, so maybe that would work?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by StarWarsFan94; 09-15-2010 at 05:55 AM. Reason: I had another symprom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-06-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
Re: Pain in Left Side of Chest

The symptoms you are describing sound to be more like a pulled muscle than a medical issue. If specific actions make it worse such as taking a deep breath and slouching to ride a bike, they are reasonable signs to say it is a muscle issue. If you take it easy for a little while, the muscle may just need some time to heal and then you should be back to normal.

Hope you feel better.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
(female)

StarWarsFan94 HB User

Bob652-Thanks so much for responding so quickly!! Ok, I'll try that. Thanks again

Old 09-28-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
(male)

defag HB User

I too have the same pain you are describing.... < edited >

Last edited by hb-mod; 09-28-2010 at 05:06 AM. Reason: Please don't post unapproved websites, per Posting Policy. Thanks!

Old 09-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #5
(female)

StarWarsFan94 HB User

Defag-Thanks for your reply! I was going to go to the website that you said, but they took it off

Old 09-28-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
(female)

dee2598 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarWarsFan94 View Post
Defag-Thanks for your reply! I was going to go to the website that you said, but they took it off
Star,

My daughter is 17 and was just diagnosed with Costrochondritis. She also has TMJ. She does not smoke or drink. She does do baton and work but only a part time job. She is in school still. She says it feels as though someone is stabbng her in her chest as well as being very tender there. The doctor touched the middle of her chest and she winced with pain from it because it was so tender.

They did the same with her at the hospital. They took blood, did an EKG as well as xrays. The blood tests are for CBC, Chemisty and to check for other things that could be wrong. I have been reading a lot about this problem and it seems that the Doctor's have no known cause of the issue. They come up with it being stress related, activity related or trauma like an accident or upper respitory problems. I will keep looking at your posts but I would definately bring this issue up with your doctor to see if that could really be the issue.

Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 AM   #7
(female)

StarWarsFan94 HB User

Dee2598-Thanks for letting me know. My mom thinks that it's just my anxiety and stuff also. It's good to know that that is probably all it is. Thanks again for your reply!!

Closed Thread