It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
(male)

Dennis373 HB User
what can be found in a urine test?

My daughter took a physical and had her urine tested. Can that test reveal if she is pregnant or has contracted some std.? She is late on her period and is complaining about having tender breasts. She say's she is not having sex but has shown alot of interest in boy's infact i have seen some very explicit text messages. I don't want to lose her trust by making her get a test done so i just had her and her brother get a physical.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
(female)

Donato HB User
Re: what can be found in a urine test?

Hi Dennis,
I understand your concern as I'm a parent too. As far as i know, the regular urine tests check for urinary infections. A ob/gyn office tests for pregnancy using urine, like the ones you buy over the counter (EPT/ clearblue...). Did you ask her doctor to test for it during her physical? About stds....breast tenderness isn't a symptom, as well as period delay. And they test them using vaginal swabs or blood tests. She doesn't seem to have stds, at least not with what you described. Pregnancy, yes...but sometimes women get breast tenderness right before the period, at least I do. Wait a couple of days and keep checking how she feels...maybe it's just a gynecological problem that can be easily solved with a visit to her gynecologist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Watersigh HB User

#1 Teenage girls often have irregular periods, so the fact that her period is late doesn't mean a lot.

#2 Tender breasts is a PMS symptom, one which is extremely common for all women regardless of age.

#3 Urine tests done at a regular doc's office (not ob/gyn) will only test for infection, presence of blood in the urine and kidney function. They will not test for pregnancy unless it is specifically requested.

#4 You can't test for STD's with a urine test! Lol, that's not how they are tested! STDs are tested by swabs, blood tests and visual expection of a suspected infection.

How would you know she was complaining about breast tenderness? That's not the kind of thing I'd ever share with MY dad! I'd be way too weirded out to talk to him about that stuff. As far as her taking an interest in boys, that's not unusual, either. Sounds like the most normal thing in the world. I wouldn't just assume she was doing anything just because of some random texts. I'd be more worried if she was staying out late and not coming home when she is supposed to and hanging out with shady looking guys. Otherwise I'm sure she isn't doing anything utoward and you'll just have to trust her not to do anything stupid.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I know my family doctor would include a pregnancy test in the urine test for a teenage physical. The possibility of being pregnant would be a huge factor in her teenage health, which is what he is seeking.

Did she share her complaints of tender breasts and a late period with the doctor, or did you share it with the doctor? If so, I can see the doctor doing the pregnancy test.

I think the graphic text messages warrant a talk between you. There is no one better than you dad, to show your daughter you are watching over her to protect her because you love her so much. What a strong message you could send her right now. It is ok to ask your kids straight up questions, even on the uncomfortable subjects

I hope all is well with your daughter..

Closed Thread