It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #1
(female)

Resonance19 HB User
Question Ice cream after workout? fat? more questions!

Today after a cardio class (BodyCombat) i rushed home and had a bowl (3/4 cup) of NO SUGAR ADDED vanilla ice cream. I was thinking "ok good, some protein, some carbs" it wasnt till after i ate it i realized/remembered that there some fat in there, and not that much protein. I added 7 grams (a rounded tablespoon) of almonds.

So i know (i think?) that that was too much fat for after workout (slows protein/carb consumption of the body) But i wanted to know, especially since im 14, will this effect me? like i wont gain weight right? I didnt go over my daily carb/fat/protein/calorie allowance, in fact, i'm under it .

So theres NO WAY i can gain weight from this, right? I mean i dont want all the carbs i ate (total of 24, daily total of 98 so far) to slow way down and cause me to like...not use them efficiently. I'm new to all this info so thats why i am so worried about it...

I have heard several times that you CANNOT gain weight without a surplus of calories, but i just wanted to be POSITIVE, that this is true?

Also, how much fat is OK for after workout? I heard 0-5 grams. Anyone agree? cause most protein/carb rich foods have SOME fat, if just a little tiny bit.

Does being a teenager add to the lessening of the chance of it effecting me?

Ok and now a few random questions, because i didnt want to make a new post (you dont have to answer them, but i really want to know)

I took a break from working out for 2 months due to illness, and then lack of motivation and fear, but i didnt gain any weight, nor am i trying to lose any (which i actually DID lose some on accident). 2 days ago, i did a short 20 min cardio sesh and then some leg exercises. Yesterday, I did Zumba for the first time, and today BodyCombat

Anyone tried BodyCombat? (it combines cardio and strength, and it focuses on combat moves)

Anyone tried zumba?

Anyone know an estimate of how much cals a 107 lb 5'4 14 year old girl would burn in any of those? (idk how to calculate it, but maybe someone knows?)

If i alternate BodyCombat and zumba every week (so like classes 4-5 times a week) and have some strength training throughout the week too, (like after zumba for 2 days, and then on my day off from classes) Is this ENOUGH to keep me healthy? I am trying to ease back into eating enough. I used to starve myself out of fear of weight gain (cause i lost weight before)

ONE LAST QUESTION. Would even just 2-3 or even just 2 classes a week be enough JUST to help me stay fit-ish? I plan on doing it more than that, but sometimes i just dont feel up to it one week. If i eat healthy (beleive me i do, no processed junk, whole foods, whole grains ALWAYS, lots of fiber and lean protein and healthy fat. Its a lifestyle ive adopted for 5 years now) and dont go over my calorie allowance, and exercise 2-3 times a week or more, i'm good to go right?

Just to wrap all this babbling nonsense up , i ask all these questions because I was on a rollercoaster of overweight/super unhealthy to weight loss/insane working out, to underweight and barely moving, and now im trying to work my way up to the right amount of calories, and exercise, so i hope you'll understand my trillions of questions!

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Bob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB UserBob652 HB User
Re: Icecream after workout/fat/ton more questions!?

Using the Harris-Benedict Formula, the minimum amount of calories required per day for you to maintain your current weight is 1,350 calories. Since you are working out, you will need more than this in order for your body to build muscle. It is important for you to eat a balanced diet that has a good combination of protein, carbs, and fats. If you are missing any of the three, you will not be able to buildup as well. At the same time, if you consume too much of any one of the items, you can have problems too. Ice cream often contains high amounts of fat, especially saturated fat. Nuts also contain high amounts of fat but they are usually healthier. Ice cream should be eaten in moderation. A little is fine but a big amount may erase all the exercise you just did. Another benefit of nuts are that they also contain protein.

When it comes to calculating calories, I was taught in school that carbs and protein each contain 4 calories per gram. Fat contains 9 calories per gram. If you keep a food diary for a few days, documenting everything you eat and drink, you can calculate an average amount of calories you are taking in. Once you do this, you can decide if you are truly eating too much or too little. Like I mentioned before, you will need to eat more than 1350 calories because of the exercise. Some male body builders consume over 10,000 calories per day yet they are not what anyone would call "fat."

For many people, working out 2-3 times a week is adequate. It all depends on your goals, the amount you eat, and your genetics as to what is the perfect amount of exercise for you.

I hope that helps.

Closed Thread