It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

PassionForMusic HB User
Unhappy Someone please reply, im scared

So, i know this is kinda long, but PLEASE READ! IM REALLY SCARED! im a 15 year old 5'8" 104 pound girl...and, im pretty scared...i use to not eat as often as i should..no, i was not anorexic or anything, i just didnt like eating...then once i met my girlfriend about 8 months ago, she found out that i was eating once a day almost every day, and that i was extremely underweight (barely over 100 pounds), she got worried...she made me promise id start eating like i should..i made it to twice a day and then slowly, i eventually started eating 3 times a day, every day, and i had made it up to 111 pounds..sounds like a happy story, right? well not so much...ive been eating 3 times a day every day for a couple months now but for some reason, i cant stop losing weight now...i was at 111 pounds about 2 months ago, then maybe 2 weeks ago, i had a doctors appointment and when the weighed me, i had lost 5 pounds and weighed 106...about 3 days ago, i went back, and i lost another 2 pounds...today i was back again, and ive lost almost a whole 'nother pound...i know a lot of people complain about not being able to lose weight and they always tell me how lucky i am to be able to eat whatever i want and not gain anything...but when you lose almost 3 pounds in less than a week, it makes you a little uneasy...im already underweight, i was trying to eat right so i could gain weight and look healthy but im just losing weight and its scary....i dont know what to do..ideas? someone help :/

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User
Re: Someone please reply, im scared

Did you ask the doctor when you were there what could be causing the weight loss? The beest thing to do is go back to the doctor and insist on some blood tests to rule out whatever might be causing it. Hyperthyroid can cause weight loss in some cases. I think that's all you can do. Since this is just a peer to peer advice site and not a true medical advice site, I think that's all anyone could tell you.

So, go back to the doc and tell them you're concerned. If you don't say anything about it, they may not know what to look for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kszan For This Useful Post:
PassionForMusic (07-13-2011)
Old 07-13-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

PassionForMusic HB User

I had some blood tests done a little while ago because of lightheadedness, dizzyness, and blinding lights every time i would stand up...and they checked everything because they were concerned...first they had told me that i may be standing up to fast so i slowed dow, that didnt help..then maybe dehydration, so i drank water like i should, still nothing..then thay said not eating right, low blood sugar, and a bunch of other things and so they took blood and tested a lot of different things and they said everything came back normal so now i guess its neurological..but anyways...that was another part of why i started eating right, because they said my other promblems might be from not getting vitamins and proteins and otherr things i need to be healthy...the doctors have been recording my weight every time i go, dont you think they would notice the loss? but they dont seem concerned...i cant even get an accurate bmi because im so underweight...

Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

EagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB UserEagleRiverDee HB User

I'd definitely ask your doctor to test your thyroid in full- that means TSH, FT3, FT4, and thyroid antibodies to look for hyperthyroidism/Graves disease.

You should also be tested for diabetes, as uncontrolled high blood sugar can cause rapid weight loss and some of your other symptoms like dizzines.

I'd keep a food diary also, and record what you're eating and how much you are exercising. Show this to your doc. If he sees that you are eating a healthy amount and that your exercise routine could not cause rapid weight loss, he will be more willing to look at other potential causes. In fact, you could really help your doctor if you also recorded your symptoms as they occur. Date, time, symptom.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:55 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

I agree with Dee, you need to continue to search for the cause of your symptoms until you find the answers that you are seeking. Has your parents been supportive in helping you through this? Having them behind you is very important as well.

The food diary is a good idea as well. Not only will it help the doctor and show him that you are serious about this, it will give you and idea of where you can increase you calories, and what your diet is made up of.

There are supplements that your doctor may recommend if he feels you are not getting enough calories from your food. While you can always eat more, you need to maintain quality foods that are supplying you with the correct balance of vitamins, minerals, calories and carbs, proteins and the rest.

Definitely need to rule out diabetes, thyroid disorders, and the rest Dee has mentioned. Please let us know what you find out, we are here to help.

Closed Thread