It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
(female)

anxietygirl123 HB User
Lower abdomen/pelvic area sticks out slightly??

I'm a 16 year old girl and lately i seem to have been obsessing a lot over my lower abdomen. I have health anxiety and i do this a lot over varies bodily functions. But its just a quick question of, should my lower abdomen/pelvic area stick out slightly? Its not a lot, i don't look pregnant or anything, but it kind of curves in that area and its not absolutely flat! Is this normal or not?

Anxietygirl123

Old 07-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User
Re: Lower abdomen/pelvic area sticks out slightly??

My wife used to tell me that women develop a "fat pad" in that region. I think it's there in preparation for eventual child birth, but I'm not 100% sure. I do think it's totally normal though. Try to relax and enjoy your teen years, they go way too fast!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2011, 11:08 AM   #3
(female)

anxietygirl123 HB User

Thank you for your reply Whoopee, i did kind of think that it must be normal, and i know that it certainly isn't getting any bigger or anything so it probably is ok! I just couldn't help the worrying.

I do try to stop worrying and more than anything i want to enjoy my teenage years, my health anxiety just seems to be getting the better of me at the moment

Thanks again
Anxietygirl123

Old 07-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Whoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB UserWhoopee HB User

It's another one of those reasons why it's so difficult for some women to lose weight. Women naturally carry about 10% more body fat than men when in the healthy range. In some instances you're working against nature too, in that your body wants to save fat in case its needed for an emergency or you get pregnant. You sound absolutely fine and I think you have your head screwed on right. Take Care~!

Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

Whoopee is right. A quick question for you. Are you within you weight range, or are you slightly above? If you have a little extra weight, that spot tends to show more. So I wouldn't be too upset about it. A good exercise to help you with that area is to learn to do core strengthening exercises. Core muscles are the ones that run horizontal around your hips. It helps hold your back in place and strengthens your entire lower area.

If you want something fun, try bellydancing. They exercises they teach to do bellydancing will also help with the tummy area. It hard work, but really fun!

Good luck!

Closed Thread