It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
(male)

Drift115 HB User
Exclamation I'm a teen and all things point towards it, PLEASE HELP!!!

About a year ago Food used to get stuck in my chest area, especially stuff like bread. I ignored that. Then it started to get worse, it started to produce a sharp pain in my back and in my chest area when something was badly clogged there, like lots of bread. Then I got worried when I read about esophagus cancer, but I had no symptoms. I went to my doctor, and she dismissed is as my throat behaving weirdly, and that i should do this test where they X-Ray me while I swallow this liquid. She also asked if I had heartburn or a bad taste in my mouth, I said no.

I walked out feeling good that I probably didn't have esophagus cancer. But I was wrong. A month later I started having these weird times where I infact did have weird tastes in the back of my mouth randomely, but now that has stopped (odd), and I started getting heartburn regularly, even when not eating foods(Still happens now, just not as often).

The real scare for me is recently i've noticed that when i eat, I can feel my food going down my throat, no biggy, but sometimes I feel like its going...over something, like a lump. Now I have difficulty swallowing near my "adams apple" and I always feel like my food is passing over something.

Now today, I ate a gummy bear, as I found a pack randomely in my cupboard, and it has been stuck in my throat for about an hour, and I can feel it. Nothing has seemed to get it down, water, other food, and even the dreaded bread.

So, do I have esophagus cancer?
Is it possible to have 2 tumors in your throat at the same time?
Is it too late for me?

I really don't want my mom to find out I have uncurable cancer, she would be devasted, and my health isn't that good, and she's always been warning me that if I don't change my eating, non excercise habits, that it will soon catch up with me. She also says she doesn't want to be in a hospital room with me one day, holding my hand.

So please answer these questions, my X-ray thing is coming up, and I am really nervous, and i'd like to know this now.

Last edited by Administrator; 02-03-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: I'm 14 and all things point towards it, PLEASE HELP!!!

It is extremely unlikely that you have esophageal cancer at your age. (It's generally seen in people who've had digestive problems for decades.)

However, you might have what's called an esophageal stricture. Those can make it difficult to swallow food properly.

Go back to the doctor, explain that the problem has continued and gotten worse. She may prescribe medication for the heartburn, and if you do have a stricture or something, it's fairly easy to stick a tube into your mouth and open that stricture back up.

Old 08-02-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
(male)

Drift115 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by janewhite1 View Post
It is extremely unlikely that you have esophageal cancer at your age. (It's generally seen in people who've had digestive problems for decades.)

However, you might have what's called an esophageal stricture. Those can make it difficult to swallow food properly.

Go back to the doctor, explain that the problem has continued and gotten worse. She may prescribe medication for the heartburn, and if you do have a stricture or something, it's fairly easy to stick a tube into your mouth and open that stricture back up.
Thank you so much for this, I now have hope and i'm not as nervous. I will read about this and see if it is what I have. Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
(female)

palmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB Userpalmtreegirl HB User

Anxiety can cause that "lump in the throat" feeling, too. If you were my son, I would want to know what your concerns were and get the proper medical treatments. I would feel bad to find out that you were worrying. Parents want to share your burdens!

Closed Thread