It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
(male)

enzh HB User
Vague working memory problems

I might be worrying too much about this, but I am worried a bit, whatever the case. I wasn't sure which board to put this question in (not ADD/ADHD I think, didn't seem appropriate for the general Mental Health board) so I put it in the Teen Health board where I'm sure I'll fit right in and where people may already be expecting silly questions.

That said, sometimes my working memory will just completely dump its contents. I'll be reading a book and suddenly I'll wonder what I'm reading, then have to read the cover to remember the subject, then have to reread a few pages back to remember the specific context. I'll be playing a video game and pause to wonder what the current objective was.

Even during conversation I sometimes lose track of what the other person just said, and after about seconds of silence I'll sort of "snap back", ask the other person to repeat what they said, and try to compose myself based on what they tell me.

Today I was writing some C code and stopped for several minutes to try to remember why I had this variable "t.type", or for that matter, what t even was. To be fair, I was deep in the fourth level of a mixture of if-statements and for-loops, and I don't remember this ever happening before while writing computer code, but neither of those says very much.

Is this normal for an eighteen-year-old male? I eat two, sometimes one meal a day, and sleep for at least ten hours every night, so the short-term memory may be related to that, but I don't recall when it started, or when I began such an unhealthy lifestyle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread