It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Teen Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
(male)

nickyboy32 HB User
Question Am I almost done growing?

I am a 19 yr old guy, currently 5'5 1/2" and around 125 lbs (my weight fluctuates about 125-130 these days). I hit puberty around 14, but I have been my current height for 4 years, have weighed between 110-140 in that time, and have not growing at all in height. I currently have a lean 28" waist, 35" hips, 35" chest, and 14" neck. I have a bit of armpit hair, thigh hair, navel hair, and leg hair, but it's somewhat sparse and not really thick yet. I also have the peach fuzz on my face, and it's starting to get darker on my jawline. My Adam's apple is also getting noticeable.

My dad is 5'6" and 200 lbs. He claims that a lot of it is muscle and that he only has "10 pounds of fat on him", but that's a statement more applicable to me; he is quite overweight. He says when he was my age he was 170 lbs and "not fat" -- I know for a fact that I would look really fat at 170 lbs. My appetite was really voracious for a couple years but has slowed down; though I still get days where I can almost clean out an entire refrigerator, they are getting more rare. My sister is 5'7" and 150 lbs, and somewhat chubby. My mother is 5'3" and about my weight.

I still look youngish in the face, though my jaw has become more geometric and square lately. I don't know whether I should "try" to grow by say, working out a lot, sleeping a lot, and drinking lots of milk + excess calories, but I feel like it might not even work. Is it likely my growth is almost done? Can/should I get a bone scan to determine it? Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Am I almost done growing?

Height is almost totally down to genetics so unless you have some tall people in your family, you are probably at almost the height you will remain. There is the possibility of another growth spurt between 19 and 21, but there is nothing you can do to make that happen. By now your bones will be sealing and when that happens, then that is the permanent end to growing. You could see an endocrinologist to have your growth hormone levels checked and get expert advice. Cheers, Sera

Old 03-09-2014, 06:19 AM   #3
(male)

Penguinboy55 HB User
Re: Am I almost done growing?

I think you are almost done growing, usually if someone in your family like your Dad or mom are tall you are most likely going to be tall then it's genetics.

Reply Reply