It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Help - Low T3 but Cytomel causing anxiety

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #1
momintexas
(female)

momintexas HB User
Difficulty with T3 meds but very low T3 HELP

Hello - I hope someone here has some wisdom for me. I am suffering horrible hypo thyroid symptoms. My TSH was last around 1.8, My free T4 around the mid range or a little lower and My total T3 at 73 (normal began at 79 i think) I've had this low T3 for many months now. The problem is that oral T3 gives me such anxiety, heart palps, etc - I went on a compounded T3 and was slowly titrating up - it was great bc it was time released - but I've since broken out in a horrible rash with hives all the way up into my scalp - Not sure if the compounded T3 was the culprit or simply the hypothyroid (i was also diagnosed with Hashimoto's although my antibodies were only at around 26- I was told anything above 9 is considered positive however i see people with antibodies in the hundreds) - last tested my antibodies were gone - So i quit the compounded T3 (6.25mcg) and have gone back to Cytomel - to see if it helps the rash - rash has not dissipated but its only been 3 days but I feel HORRIBLE on the immediate release Cytomel - anxious, etc. and its a lower dose (5mcg in split doses) I'm not sure what to do.

I am also trying to taper from a Benzodiazepine - I took Klonipin for 5 years for sleep as directed by my Dr - he promised it was safe (i asked) I never once abused or took more than prescribed - never craved this drug or got high - but when i tried to get off - it has been hell - I know that these drugs cause lots of problems with thyroid and the HPA Axis - they moved me to Valium because it has a longer half life and can be tapered more easily but I've had nothing but problems since the move and I've read Valium can be harder on Thyroid

I'm considering going back to the Klonipin - I'm also on a Beta Blocker for Blood Pressure than can interfere with conversion and conversion seems to be my issue

Can anyone offer any assistance here? I'm a mess

thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
momintexas
(female)

momintexas HB User
Red face Help - Low T3 but Cytomel causing anxiety

I am currently very hypothyroid (symptoms) - I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last year although my antibodies weren't very high (26) - My most recent labs were something like
TSH 1.8
Free T4 around 1.5
Total T3 - 68-72 (79 being the starting range for normal)

(the above is from memory which is terrible at the moment)

It seems like Im having a conversion issue .

My problem is that I have horrible anxiety and racing heart when I take Cytomel - 5cg - I had switched to compounded time released and it seemed to be working - I was able to slowly titrate up to 6.25mcg - but then I developed a horrendous rash and hives and enlarged lymph nodes in my neck - when i take benadryl it helps considerably but doesnt resolve completely

Now I'm wondering if the hives were just from being hypo for so long - I've been as low as 48 for Total T3

I'm also trying to taper off of a Benzodiazepine - a complete nightmare - prescribed by a Dr and taken completely as directed for sleep for 5 years - a drug i never abused or got high off of or even craved or thought about - but when I tried to discontinue - have had horrible neurological problems and am hyper sensitive to everything including supplements and drugs

I also take a beta blocker for blood pressure

I was on the Klonipin .5mg a day for 5 years and the beta blocker and didnt have these sorts of problems with my thyroid - but in February I was moved to Valium to try and taper and a new Beta Blocker - I have since changed back to my old Beta blocker to see if it has less conversion blocking (beta blockers cause T4-T3 conversion issues) and I'm tempted to move back to the Klonipin to taper - I've never felt right on the Valium

My question is - have many of you had problems with oral T3 even though your body needed it? and also - has anyone had an allergic reaction to compounded T3 - I'm starting to wonder if my hives are just from being Hypo for so long ( low T3 for almost a year now)

Any advice, opinions or help would be appreciated -I'm miserable and desperate

Last edited by moderator2; 01-11-2017 at 09:27 AM. Reason: move to Thyroid message board

Old 01-11-2017, 09:05 AM   #3
des900
(male)

des900 HB User
Re: Help - Low T3 but Cytomel causing anxiety

Have you checked you serum calcium value? Is your 25 hydroxy vitamin d value optimal?

Anyway if not done it its best to rule out hyperparathyroidism by doing serum calcium and PTH together.

Old 01-11-2017, 11:05 AM   #4
momintexas
(female)

momintexas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by des900 View Post
Have you checked you serum calcium value? Is your 25 hydroxy vitamin d value optimal?

Anyway if not done it its best to rule out hyperparathyroidism by doing serum calcium and PTH together.
thank you for the reply - I'm pretty sure they have tested both - i know my D was good

Old 01-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
des900
(male)

des900 HB User

Low total T3 is not a concern, many people have it and me too. My T3 ranges from 69 to 95 most times though I have hyper symptoms like palpitations, fast heart rate etc.

Your TSH is in normal range and also Free T4 is mid range so no need to change medication and T3 only medicine. If you can get NDT or natural desiccated thyroid pill then its good substitute for levothyroxine but not go with T3 only medicine.

Yes you are right using beta blocker can create T4 to T3 conversion issues and not use it unless really needed. You can test for these to rule out deficiencies

Ferritin
Vitamin B12
25 hydroxy Vitamin D

Make sure all in optimal ranges. Also you need to rule out hyperparathyroidism by doing serum calcium and PTH together. hyperparathyroidism can bring many of the hyperthyroid like symptoms you are experiencing.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
momintexas
(female)

momintexas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by des900 View Post
Low total T3 is not a concern, many people have it and me too. My T3 ranges from 69 to 95 most times though I have hyper symptoms like palpitations, fast heart rate etc.

Your TSH is in normal range and also Free T4 is mid range so no need to change medication and T3 only medicine. If you can get NDT or natural desiccated thyroid pill then its good substitute for levothyroxine but not go with T3 only medicine.

Yes you are right using beta blocker can create T4 to T3 conversion issues and not use it unless really needed. You can test for these to rule out deficiencies

Ferritin
Vitamin B12
25 hydroxy Vitamin D

Make sure all in optimal ranges. Also you need to rule out hyperparathyroidism by doing serum calcium and PTH together. hyperparathyroidism can bring many of the hyperthyroid like symptoms you are experiencing.

But I feel SO hypothyroid - my hair is stringy and falling out, i'm pale and weak and tired, poor balance, cold all the time - depressed - puffy eyes and now hives that i think can be attributed to thyroid - T3 is the active form of thyroid - I would think my symptoms would most def. be related to my low T3

Old 01-11-2017, 02:06 PM   #7
momintexas
(female)

momintexas HB User

I should also say that the only hyper symptoms i have or get are from taking the cytomel but i'm not hyper at all according to my blood work (which i have done just about every 6 weeks)

my ferritin was very low but i've been taking iron and its now hovering around 50

Old 01-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #8
des900
(male)

des900 HB User

Low T3 won't bring such issues, concerning hair loss it might be attributed to low ferritin levels. Anemia or low RBC count can bring many of the hypothyroid symptoms. Also low calcium levels. Need to rule out all three deficiencies mentioned before and also rule out hyperparathyroidism this is especially true if you are not taking a daily calcium rich diet and avoiding sunlight most times.

Old 01-18-2017, 07:11 PM   #9
azure7789
Veteran
(female)

azure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB Userazure7789 HB User

momintexas-

I am on thyroid med and have been for about 10 yrs. I started with a t4 only med (synthroid) but I am a poor converter and my t3 was always very low. While t4 helped I always felt something was missing and I lacked energy.

I tried adding in cytomel along with the synthroid and even on the very smallest dose I had a very unpleasant anxiety reaction. I gave up on the cytomel due to the anxiety after 6 wks or so and just continued on synthroid alone. Then a few years later I tried adding in cytomel again--same problem with anxiety. Realizing cytomel was a big problem for me I instead tried Armour thyroid which has t4 AND t3 and I could then tolerate the t3 without an issue along with taking synthroid.(My synthroid dose was always somewhat reduced when trying to add in cytomel then later Armour.)

You might think about getting your t3 from another med rather than cytomel.

Last edited by azure7789; 01-19-2017 at 08:51 AM.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:59 PM   #10
des900
(male)

des900 HB User

Yes exactly if you are concerned about low T3 then take NDT not not go with cytomel or other T3 only medicine as it can have various complications also need to dose very carefully through out the day which is bit hard too and not convenient.

Also the fatigue symptoms, hair loss might be attributed to low ferritin values. Also rule out all other related deficiencies like Vitamin D, B12.

Reply Reply