It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Large Thyroid Nodule causing symptoms?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #1
amr89byu
(female)

amr89byu HB User
Large Thyroid Nodule causing symptoms?

Hi everyone! Newbie here, so I need some of your advice. I've had a year of crazy symptoms: temperature issues (cold or hot all the time), weight gain, joint pain, mood swings, brain fog, and serious FATIGUE. Thyroid issues (specifically hypothyroidism) runs in my family. Both my mother and grandmother have had their thyroids removed so it's always one of my usual suspects. However, I've had a bunch of thyroid tests + thyroid antibody tests run and everything looks normal.

Fast forward to about a month ago when a doctor told me that they thought I had a thyroid nodule. They sent me for an ultrasound. On my right lobe I have 5 nodules- two that are over 1 cm and three under 1 cm. Not too worrysome. I have another on my isthmus, which is also thickened. However on my left lobe I have a nodule measuring in at 6.7 cm x 3.7 cm x 4.5 cm. The doctor wants it to come out. I went to the throat surgeon yesterday and he thinks they may have mis-measured it or it's grown...he estimated it at 8 cm!!!! He said it was one of the largest he's seen. It's been fine needle aspirated and has come back benign- thanks goodness. I'm setting up an appt to get a left lobectomy.

So my question- could this giant nodule (i've nicknamed it Shelldon, since it's about the size of an egg) be causing all of my crazy symptoms, even if my Thyroid tests come back normal?

Also do you have any recommendations or advice about lobectomy surgery? Anything I need to know?

Any ideas of what could cause all these nodules? I know that nodules are super common but it just feels like I've got a lot and they're weirdly big...iodine deficiency???

Thanks in advance

Last edited by amr89byu; 01-11-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply