It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2002, 03:12 PM   #1

Glitterygrl HB User
Question anyone been on armour went back to synthyroid?

I was just wondering if anyone here has been on Armour and decided to change back to synthyroid? I was taking Armour since October 2000 and since then gained weight. So just yesterday, I started back on synthyroid which to me is a plus because I don't have to pay for it. I feel just a bit more tired, but sure its not due to thyroid problems. Last time Dr checked lab results he said my T4 was low. I am hoping that now I can get back to my prior weight, being on Armour I felt like a balloon, always bloated up. Anyone else switch from Naturals to synthetics? Thanks.

Old 10-02-2002, 11:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Glitterygrl,
I went on Armour, back to Levoxyl (T4), back to Armour, now on T3 alone.

Your doctor may have been undermedicating with Armour, which is common, since many docs are afraid of the T3 in it, or don't know how to adjust a dose to Armour.
Bloating is a symptom of being hypothyroid.

If your T4 is low, you need more thyroid med which may explain your tiredness. You could ask for a trial dose increase.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2002, 10:29 AM   #3

Glitterygrl HB User
Hello Treefrog,
Thanks for your reply. What is a trial dose increase, is it where the Dr gives me only enough for couple of days to see how things go?
So far I have been feeling so tired on the synthyroid. Its possible the Dr could have been undermedicating me on the Armour. This Dr I am seeing now seems to know nothing about thyroid problems. I go to a military hospital. Everytime Dr's are moving around and I never see one for longer than six months. Which sucks.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:38 AM   #4
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User
Re: anyone been on armour went back to synthyroid?

I was on Armour for 1.5 years and my FT3 and FT4 got to the upper 80&#37; of range but my TSH went to <.01. Even with good FT3 and FT4 numbers, I still swelled up and had gained 15 pounds despite a good diet and exercise. I am on Synthroid 50 mcg for 8 weeks and have lost 8 pounds already. Something about the Armour made me retain water. What dosage of Synthroid are you on, how long, and what were your labs with ranges before you were put on Synthroid? Give it 6-8 weeks before your next lab.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:40 AM   #5
(female)

librarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB Userlibrarygirl2 HB User

Oh, one more thing. THe longer I stayed on Armour, my FT4 was declining. Not sure if the lower FT4 contributed to more swelling.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: anyone been on armour went back to synthyroid?

I've been on Levothyroxine (YUCK!!), short stint on Armour, just Cytomel (love Cyt), Cytomel & Levoxyl combo, and back to Armour for the last year+. I'm still not OPTIMIZED on Armour, but feel MUCH better on it than even a combo of meds. At next weeks Dr visit, I'm sure he'll increase my meds. I'm wondering if I wouldn't do GOOD with A LOT of Armour along with some T4 med such as Levoxyl.

Have your T4's always been low on Armour? Mine have, so I don't wonder if you'd do better with Armour & Synthroid?

Old 07-24-2008, 10:44 AM   #7
(male)

abigchocoholic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterygrl View Post
I was just wondering if anyone here has been on Armour and decided to change back to synthyroid? I was taking Armour since October 2000 and since then gained weight. So just yesterday, I started back on synthyroid which to me is a plus because I don't have to pay for it. I feel just a bit more tired, but sure its not due to thyroid problems. Last time Dr checked lab results he said my T4 was low. I am hoping that now I can get back to my prior weight, being on Armour I felt like a balloon, always bloated up. Anyone else switch from Naturals to synthetics? Thanks.
Oh yeah. I was on as many as 3 grains of armour. Armour is not for everyone. Armour without synthetic t4 is not for most people. The healthy human body has a t4/t3 ratio of about 7-1. Armour--which is pig thyroid--has about double that ratio--a 4.2--1 ratio. So why don't the makers of armour add t4 to make it the right balance for humans? I don't know.

Anyway, after years of experimentation, I've found I feel best on just a little bit of armour about 6-9mcgs a day. Why? I don't know, like I said it's a result of experimentation. Too much armour is bad news for me. No armour is even worse--much worse. It's all about balance. I have a friend who takes 6 grains of armour a day--to me that would be enough to kill an elephant but he thrives on it. I have another friend who tried armour and said it made his mind feel very cloudy and he went back to synthroid only.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

GCC HB User

A few weeks after I started Armour, I went back to Synthroid.
I couldn't tolerate the Armour.

Then I treated my adrenal insuffiiency & tried the Armour again.
I feel so much better on Armour (after 25+ years on Synthroid).

There is no one treatment best for everyone.

I say : do what you think is best for YOU. (Just make sure you are doing Armour the right way, if you try that).

There are several common mistakes doctors make when dosing Armour (that will give poor results).

Some people do very well on a combination of Synthroid & Cytomel too.

I think the most common mistake is using the TSH as a guide to dose T3 meds. You likely will not ever be on a high enough dose doing that.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:05 PM   #9
(female)

sandy8888 HB User

I tried armour at the beginning of the 2008 after being on synthroid for 20 years.
I had a terrible time trying it. I went straight back to synthroid and am too scared to try armour again. I am still suffering from that two months of armour.
I had changed hoping that the natural hormone would be better for my body than synthroid. Synthroid is MUCH BETTER (in my opinion).
Sandy

Old 07-29-2008, 09:46 AM   #10
(female)

jrose1358 HB User

I was on a combo of synthroid and armour for many years and was very happy. Then about a year ago, my body started rejecting the armour. Couldn't even tolerate it in the smallest doses. I switched to synthroid only for awhile and then recently added back in a little bit of cytomel and am back to optimal again. Go figure - Stay flexible and do what works for you. Blessings - jrose

Old 07-29-2008, 08:54 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB UserOleander53 HB User

I have been on Armour for 2 years +. I have been on 3 Grain....my Doctor just switched me to Thyrolar last week due to my goiter/nodules returning and my labs being on the low side. He switched me to Thyrolar to try something different. He said once you have been on a T3 supplement for any length of time it is hard to go to just a t4 supplement....you will be too tired all of the time.........doesn't mean he is correct but that is what he told me.... If that helps any...... Oleander

Armour agreed with me from the start and I never had a side effect from it...he did not feel it was working well enough for me.....that is why the switch.

Old 07-29-2008, 09:27 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Suey77 HB User
Cool Re: anyone been on armour went back to synthyroid?

Though i'm most likely undermedicated (but this time have symptoms to back it up) I would LOVE to go on a combo of 50-75 mcg's Levoxyl & 2 grains of Armour. Just want my 4's off the bottom rung of the ladder, mid-range

Wednesday is THE day I'll be asking the Doctor

Closed Thread