It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2002, 09:09 AM   #1

lishut HB User
Post How long before feeling better?

I just wanted to ask how long it took before everyone got to feeling better on your meds? I've heard some say it was only a few days, and others say several months.

I don't understand why the med doesn't have an effect immediately. It seems maybe it isn't working right if there isn't an immediate improvement in symptoms.

What do ya'll think?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2002, 09:58 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
I noticed almost immediate improvement on Armour, but I chalak that up to the fact that T3 has an almost immediate onset of action. Despite the fact that I felt some better on it immediately, two years later, I am still seeing minor improvements here nad there as we optimize the doseage. It can take YEARS to undo all the damage of being hypo for a long time.

Some people report a fast results with T4 meds as well, but this is rare, and would be more likely to apply to people who are newly hypo because of a neck injury, thyroid removal, or RAI.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2002, 11:17 AM   #3

MissiM HB User
IT has been 7 months and I ams till soooooo exhausted. I sleep 10-13 hours a night and by 1pm I can no longer function. By 3pm I cannot complete a sentance. It is a hard ride home from work and by the time I get to my house I feel like I am crawling up the stairs into my bed. I really hope the meds kick in soon. It is very hard to live and function this way. I think the people at work are getting frustrated with the lack concentration and ability to finish projects. Oh well!

Old 04-05-2002, 11:41 AM   #4

lishut HB User
Smile

MissiM - I can really relate. I have a severe crash every afternoon too, and I sleep 10 hours a night. I feel like I've been hypo for years and years, but the tests were always normal. So I took matters into my own hands, and ordered some dessicated thyroid over the internet. I've been taking it 5 days now. I think I need to go ahead and up the dose from 1 gr to 2 gr and see if that helps.

I'm planning on moving to Denver within 6 months, and I'm hoping to find a doc in that area who's more interested in helping me feel better, and not just look at some arbitrary test levels. From what I've been reading lately, everybody's levels are so totally different, it's almost as if you can't even go by that at all. I believe in using how I feel as the best measure.

It's just so sad to see so many people suffering! And so frustrating to deal with doctors.

Thanks, MissiM and Meep for responding.

Old 04-05-2002, 12:11 PM   #5

SnowAngel HB User
After having my thyroid removed due to thyroid cancer, my TSH shot up to 133 before they could start me on Synthroid again. It took about 2 months to start feeling "human" after my doc started me on a good dosage of Synthroid. It takes a few weeks for your body to adjust to each dosage change, from what I understand. I am still very new to all this too. MissiM, I can totally relate to how you feel with not being able to function. I think because I had a scar on my neck my boss was a little more understanding about my having to leave early every day for a month. I simply could not function past 2 or 3 in the afternoon. Hang in there, guys. It might take a little while, but it WILL get better. I've seen it written a hundred times on these boards that patience is the key. As much as we hate to hear that, it is SO true.

Good luck and good health!
SnowAngel

[This message has been edited by SnowAngel (edited 04-05-2002).]

Old 04-05-2002, 01:22 PM   #6

MissiM HB User
Lishut,
WOW I cannot believe they couldn't find anything. I am new to all of this but I have read that there are more extensives tests they can do to test your levels. I wouldn't wait any longer I would try and find a new doc and get the other tests. At least with me they did the test and found my levels were extremely high...I cannot imagine feeling this way and not having a dx...How frustrating for you. Good Luck!

Old 04-05-2002, 06:34 PM   #7

ENUFISENUF HB User
WHOA! Lishut says in her 2nd post that s/he's considering upping the dose from 1 grain to 2 grains of dessicated thyroid. It's only been 5 days on the 1 grain, hasn't it?! I don't know much about ordering hormones over the internet and self-medicating but I'd be real careful with making such a drastic increase so quickly. I have a feeling others would agree with this. I would say AT LEAST a month is giving a new med a fair chance. Just my opinion .... Good luck with whatever you decide.
ENUF

Old 04-05-2002, 06:36 PM   #8

ENUFISENUF HB User
p.s. Without bloodwork, it's going to be very difficult to know where you stand and what direction you need to go with your meds. It is possible to experience both hyper and hypo symptoms simultaneously. (Trust me! LOL.) At least get a doctor to order bloodwork periodically. I don't know ...

Old 04-08-2002, 12:57 PM   #9

TooMuchSoy HB User
Exclamation

Lishut and MissiM,

It sounds like you are both being undertreated and have taken different approaches.

MissiM,

(quote)
>>IT has been 7 months and I ams till soooooo exhausted. I sleep 10-13 hours a night and by 1pm I can no longer function. By 3pm I cannot complete a sentance. It is a hard ride home from work and by the time I get to my house I feel like I am crawling up the stairs into my bed. I really hope the meds kick in soon. It is very hard to live and function this way. I think the people at work are getting frustrated with the lack concentration and ability to finish projects.<<

Seven months is long enough. Yes, you may keep experiencing improvements for years (as Meep pointed out), but if you don't feel a lot better in six weeks to MAXIMUM six months, I'd say you need dosage changes. Is your doctor one of those who thinks that reference ranges are the be-all end-all? Try shooting instead for a TSH under 2 (or between 0.7 and 1.5, if that doesn't work!). If your TSH is over 2, it should be no big surprise that you'd still be symptomatic! Okay, maybe a few people feel okay over 2, but obviously not you! By the way, levels over 2 are associated with increased risk of thyroid failure in the future. Run that one by your doctor...

Is your doctor a T4-only type? Even the New England Journal of Medicine says most people do better with a T4-T3 combination. T3 seems to particularly help with cognitive function. That doesn't mean you have to take animal-based products. You can get pure time-release T3, with which you can make the T4-T3 proportion optimal. To learn more about T3, I highly recommend reading the book "Living Well With Hypothyroidism: What Your Doctor Doesn't Tell You That You Need To Know" by Mary Shomon, a book I think no thyroid patient should be without. You're shooting in the dark without a good book like this.

PLEASE take this seriously, including going to the "Top Docs" discussion and finding a new doctor if necessary to get treatment. You've been patient long enough. The last thing you need (in addition to feeling awful) would be to have patience run out at work! Health insurance (not to mention being able to pay the rent) is a precious thing...

Lishut,

[quote]
>>I can really relate. I have a severe crash every afternoon too, and I sleep 10 hours a night. I feel like I've been hypo for years and years, but the tests were always normal. So I took matters into my own hands, and ordered some dessicated thyroid over the internet. I've been taking it 5 days now. I think I need to go ahead and up the dose from 1 gr to 2 gr and see if that helps.
I'm planning on moving to Denver within 6 months, and I'm hoping to find a doc in that area who's more interested in helping me feel better, and not just look at some arbitrary test levels. From what I've been reading lately, everybody's levels are so totally different, it's almost as if you can't even go by that at all. I believe in using how I feel as the best measure.<<

Eek, I have to echo EnufIsEnuf (who's a senior member) in saying that's a little scary. You talk about taking things into your own hands and wanting to feel better, which is great. However, since you're being proactive, I REALLY encourage you (not that you asked!) to go all the way and not do it halfway: instead of treating yourself, do the work that it takes to find a Top Doc (even if it's a hundred miles away!) who will get you feeling better AND keep an eye on you. I looked on the map, and it looks like you're not that many hours from Boston by car. If it were me, I'd rather drive ALL the way across Massachusetts once a month than take any chances with my thyroid... I know it's a giant pain to find a good doctor and then actually be graced with the gift of an appointment, but you're worth it. Please don't wait for Denver...

The Top Docs discussion by region can be hard to get to, but with some fiddling, it's accessible from [url="http://www.thyroidinfo.com"]www.thyroidinfo.com[/url] or [url="http://www.thyroid.about.com."]www.thyroid.about.com.[/url]

Good luck, both of you. You both deserve better. Sometimes it just takes a lot of work to make "better" happen, not always the easiest thing when your day ends at 3 pm! (LOL) Keep us posted.

Old 04-09-2002, 10:08 AM   #10

lishut HB User
Thanks everybody for the concern - I am kindof going by the info Dr.Ward Dean wrote

Here's one pertinent quote:
"Occasionally, it is necessary to go to 5 grains daily (which is full replacement therapy!)--to obtain relief of symptoms. It is not really necessary to perform periodic blood tests as I believe it is more important to treat the patient rather than treating the blood test. However, the blood tests are wise from a medical-legal perspective.

Treatment of subclinical hypothyroidism with thyroid hormone is very safe. There is little risk of excessive thyroid dosage if:

(1) the patient feels well;
(2) the temperature remains below 98.2;
(3) the pulse is less than 75 beats per minute; and
(4) the thyroid function tests remain normal. (Note that most hypothyroid patients feel best with sub-normal TSH levels)."

I have been taking my temp and recording it for some time, and it is definitely low. So because of this and other symptoms, I feel like it can't hurt to try the natural thyroid and see what happens.

What concerns me is that I have read so many posts from people who still don't feel well after months and months on medication. I just can't believe that the hormone replacement is at a theratpeutic dose if a person still feels that badly. This is a case where the blood tests don't mean squat. I believe everyone's levels are gonna be different. I prefer to go by how I feel above everything else.

TooMuchSoy:
I actually live in north Louisiana, so Boston would be quite a drive for me! I do appreciate that ideally I should be under a doctor's care, but I'm not gonna spend hundred's of dollars on something I can easily do myself, either. That's just my nature.

An update also:
I got back on my Type O (blood type) diet, and I didn't crash yesterday and I slept less last night. I think the sugar I was eating to try to feel better was actually making me feel worse. Diet really does play a huge role in how I function. I highly recommend the Blood type diet to anyone who is still having weight problems.

Gotta go warm my feet now!!

Later,
Lisa

Never post commercial websites.

[This message has been edited by moderator1 (edited 10-22-2002).]

Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 AM   #11

MonkeyBarSoup HB User
Hi Lisa,

In regards to heart beats....what if your heart beat is already, normally fast?

MonkeyBarSoup

Old 10-22-2002, 06:48 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi Lishut,

Those are good criteria to watch for, but it is not the best thing to self-medicate! One may also go hyper without noticeable symptoms.

You may not actually BE low thyroid, and your symptoms may be from other issues. So, if you don't resolve your symptoms, please get checked out medically.

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 10-23-2002).]

Old 10-08-2004, 09:20 PM   #13

smylenethy HB User
Re: How long before feeling better?

i often ask myself when will i feel normal. a few months ago i was put on synthyriod because my tsh was190. somedays i feel good i have some energy,and then i have torest for a couple days. i had a baby in may she was born early by 5 weeks. so i thought i was having baby blues, plus the baby has some medical problems so i have been off work for a long time since i went into preterm labor in feb. i wonder when i do go back how will i keep up i have a hard time just cleaning my house and taking care of my 2 girls. thank god my 9 year old helps me out. my regular job is cleaning for the elderly, making meals and running errands. i used to clean 3 house a day. i enjoy it and it pays the bills being that i am a single mom. also makes me wonder how long i had this for my thyriod completely stopped working

Closed Thread