It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

Normal t4 and TSH is 5.06. doctor says it's good

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-15-2017, 09:11 PM   #1
Jeffreymak
(male)

Jeffreymak HB User
Normal t4 and TSH is 5.06. doctor says it's good

My doctor says I don't need a larger dose of synthroid because my t4 is normal. Is my doctor right? I feel like I need more medication.

Most doctors I have seen went by the TSH and not t4. I am confused.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2017, 08:27 AM   #2
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Normal t4 and TSH is 5.06. doctor says it's good

You're right in that most doctors dose according to TSH. It's not unusual, even though it's highly mistaken.
Your TSH is unacceptably high. It's been proven that most of the healthy population without thyroid disease has TSH around 1 to 1.5 or so. Their free T4 is between the 50th and 70th percentile of its range. So it wouldn't be wrong to aim for those levels when someone enters treatment.

Since you still have symptoms, ask your doctor if he could target the lower end of the TSH range instead of any value within it. If he refuses to give you a small dose increase to accomplish that, you should find a more cooperative MD. You don't need to live like that.

Old 02-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #3
Jeffreymak
(male)

Jeffreymak HB User

My doctor says my high TSH is high but my t4 is normal so I don't need a increase in medication.

I'm going to be seeing a new doctor next month. My co worker says she is doing a good Job on her thyroid.

I hope I feel better soon

Old 02-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #4
Jeffreymak
(male)

Jeffreymak HB User

Is my doctor wrong?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
midwest1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreymak View Post
Is my doctor wrong?
Very probably. Here's why:

There are two T4 tests that can be done. If your MD is testing your total T4 instead of the more accurate free T4, he's wrong. If you have a printout of the test that was done, you may want to share it here with the lab range so we can better say what's going on.

If your free T4 is below lab median, it's almost certainly too low and would be the cause of your lingering symptoms. To say that T4 is "normal" only because it's between the high and low of the lab range is wrong! You have one place in that range where you feel well. Anywhere else is like saying your size 11 foot should feel fine in a size 9 shoe just because both sizes are within the typical size range.
Count him wrong if your T4 is basement-level and he thinks that's "normal". Ninety percent or so of patients need free T4 within the upper half of the lab range to eliminate thyroid symptoms.

Thirdly, if he's totally ignoring you, the patient, in favor of a paper-and-ink lab report, he's dead wrong. To what would he be attributing the fact that you don't feel well?

Old 03-18-2017, 08:30 PM   #6
kaamos
(male)

kaamos HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffreymak View Post
Is my doctor wrong?
Yes, my tsh was waving between 4.5 and 7 during SEVEN, SEVEN YEARS!!!!!And all doctors told me all is in your head, they sent me two times to psychiatrist and one to psychologist.. and last year i began to loss my eyebrows, more tired.....Beggining this year i payed a private endochrinologist that told me that i have hypothyroidism, since then i`m on levothyroxine i`ve been better. So your doctor is WRONG. FT4 can be fine, but much people have problems with t4 to t3 conversion, that finally lead to hypo symptoms

Last edited by kaamos; 03-18-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Reply Reply