It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2002, 09:41 AM   #1

koshechka HB User
Question Cystic acne, thyroid, recurrent yeast infection

Hello everybody,

I just started learning about thyroid diseases because I spoke with a naturopath over the phone and she mentioned I might have acne because of hormons and thyroid problem.
I will see her next week and she is going to arrange some tests.
Well, my problem actually started with acne.
Since 1999, when I came to the States from the Ukraine, I was seeing a dermatologist or physician to keep my acne under control.
Because I was not a fan of oral antibiotics, mostly I used topical ones. This summer my acne got worse, so when I saw a new physician and he gave me a prescribtion to new antibiotics and after using it for few days my skin felt terrible, I just stopped.
In addition to it, I have had recurrent yeast infection for a year.
When I decided to treat myself and do some detoxification, I found many different websites and by reading them, I figured out that I have candida. Thanks to all those drugs I was applying to my skin.
I felt like I needed more information, so I decided to see a holistic doctor and out of my story, she mentioned about thyroid problem.
OK, I am in my middle 30-s with severe painful acne that look like big bumps and don't have white heads, almost always cold, have mood swings. My weight is normal and actually I am losing weight now because I have been on anti-candida diet (no sugar, fruit, fruit juces, no bread with yeast, etc.). I take some supplements and I am trying to do some bowel and liver cleansing.
I hope I will find somebody with similar problems who can explain to me what is going on. If not, I will post the results of my test and treatment that I will be undergoing later.
I am just tired of waiting. It takes months to get to a special doctor here!!! And now, because I have been "treated" by several MDs, I am really skeptical.

Sorry for blurting it out. But people with sicknesses understand each other better than people without them.

Good luck to all of us.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2002, 10:29 AM   #2

ringbearer HB User
Well,
For the past 5 yrs I've been trying to treat my "adult" acne problem. I am in my mid 30s. I also had some problems with my hair falling out. That was ALL I thought I was dealing with. I went to an endo. a year ago and they said my thyroid was fine.

To make a long story short... This year it has become clear that I had one very, very sick thyroid!

Point of the story, the only thing that kept me going back to the doc was my skin problems. It remains to be seen if my skin improves over the long term. I think they take that stuff way to lightly. Good luck!

Old 11-16-2002, 01:23 AM   #3

snobunnies HB User
have them also check for roscea. It is a very little diagnosed and treated acne problem that is also triggered by hormonal problems.

Old 11-16-2002, 09:56 AM   #4

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Hi koshechka. Cystic acne is a common, persistent problem with Hypothyroidism as, unfortunately, is Systemic Candida. The best way to find out if your problem is hormone-related is to have blood tests. At a minimum, these should include Free T3, Free T4, TSH, and Thyroid Antibodies.

I'm not much of a proponent of antibiotics for dermatologic uses, as it causes the effects you're currently experiencing (not to mention creating antibiotic-resistant bacteria, but that's another topic).

The Yeast-Free diets are quite helpful in slowing the candida. But the liver cleanse should be short-term -- it can actually make you feel more sick if you purge too much all at once.

If your naturopath has not yet started you on some additional supplements, you may want to discuss these with her/him:

- Garlic pills
- A high potency probiotic (such as PB-8)
- Pau D'Arco (also known as Taheebo) tea [which can be taken internally and, in the worst case scenario, also used as a douche]

These supplements helped me tremendously when I had a really resistant case of candida. I've been candida-free for years now, and only did the special diet short-term. I always take probiotics whenever I'm on an antibiotic med. Some naturopaths even say that probiotics should be taken daily. And I use Pau D'Arco tea as a light detox from time to time, but I like how it tastes.

The cystic acne may be improved by certain topic ointments that contain salicylic acid such as Neutrogena's Clear Pore (the pink box), but I found it even more helpful to just use a light moisturizer and let the bumps go away. And, for persistent red marks after the acne has receded, I sometimes use a neomycin ointment like Neosporin and cover it with a bandage overnight.

"Adult" acne has been a problem for me for years (started in my late 20s/30s), particulary in sync with my monthly cycle. But mine was apparently related to thyroid disease. I've found that, since my thyroid levels have been balanced, I no longer get any acne at all.

Old 11-17-2002, 09:30 AM   #5
(male)

pdb123 HB User
I can relate to your problem. I've suffered with adult acne for the past 10 years. It all started when I was in college, which interestingly is around the same time that I was first diagnosed as hypothyroid. But since my TSH was only around 6, my doctor felt it didn't warrant treatment.

Well, 10 years later and I'm still suffereing with acne. At first it was mostly whiteheads on my face, but it has now progressed to cystic acne on my neck, chest, and shoulders. And let me tell you, those suckers hurt! I've been on 3 different antibiotics (which totally messed up my digestive tract), all kinds of creams, and the acne still hasn't gone away. No doctor ever seemed to think that my acne might be caused by some other problem. All they wanted to do was give me expensive prescriptions that didn't work.

Last year, my doctor wanted to run some blood tests because I had been on antibiotics for so long. He included a thyroid test and my TSH came back at 10.5. But again, he didn't want to treat it. I was having so many problems all at once (acne, stomach problems, depression, sinus infections) that he actually accused me of making up my symptoms.

So, naturally, I changed doctors. My new doctor wanted to do a completel physical since I was a new patient. Everything came back normal except for my thyroid. My TSH was now 14.5. He said I was definitely a candidate for treatment and didn't understand why my last doctor let it go.

Anyway, I've been on Levoxyl for 2 months now, and my cystic acne has lessened significantly. I still get whiteheads, but I've been able to control it with Neutrogena's Healthy Skin Face Lotion which has glycolic acid. I'm crossing my fingers that after my thyroid is stabilized, my acne will completely disappear.

Moral of the story is that too many doctors only treat individual symptoms and don't look at the whole patient. Multiple symptoms could all lead to the same underlying cause (in our case - underactive thyroid). If your doctor isn't willing to look at your history and consider all your symptoms together, definitely consider finding a doctor who will. I've spent 10 years spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. Hopefully I'm finally on the road to feeling (and looking) normal again!

Good luck!

Old 11-17-2002, 11:13 PM   #6

snobunnies HB User
another thing that can help, and I didn't understand why this drug was administered, is spironolactone. It is a diuretic. The lady endo that diagnosed my hypo as hasimotos 8 years ago started me on it at the same time. She would check my complexion and up it until she was satisfied my acne was under control. Like i said i do not understand her reasoning for it, but i found I also did not experience a few other symptoms while taking it too. No longer did my feet and legs swell for no reason. That and i didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to go pee. the last I really liked. Talk to your dr. about it,,maybe it will work for you too,,,,if they need a reference,,have them talk to dr. Terri Jerkin in Nashville TN. She takes no crap when treating her patients and is extremely good. best i have found in 32 years.

Old 11-20-2002, 12:43 PM   #7

ringbearer HB User
Spironolactone, which is a safe drug that has been used for many years for people with diabetes, works because it also happens to be an androgen blocker. That means that it blocks “male” hormones. Both men and women have these hormones, just in different amounts. Male hormones, including testosterone, are thought to cause acne.

Old 11-20-2002, 06:43 PM   #8

Weeping Prophet HB User
Hello...I have had thyroid disease for the past 7 years, and i too suffered many recurring yeast infections...they finally diagnosed me with diabetes, which my endo says is quite common for the two diseases to be together...just a thought, in regard to that, it is a symptom of diabetes, maybe a test for that to rule it out? I too have many breakouts, and sometimes get those big bumps with no head, they tell me those are boils and common in diabetes...good luck with the thyroid, hopefully you will be feeling better soon...

Closed Thread