It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2002, 07:50 PM   #1
Inactive

Judywhit HB User
Post Iodine deficiency and actuall putting iodine on skin???

a friend sent me an email with a "do-it-yourself thryoid cure" sense I am at my witts end and know my body is telling me something is wrong... but my thyroid test says "normal" I am ready to try anything.
This article written by a doctor says to paint a silver dollar size of 2% iodine on your belly. If after 24 hours the stain disappears, it means your body is deficient in iodine and has thirstly sucked it up. If so, keep applying the iodine every 24 hours, at different sites, until the stain lasts a full 24 hrs. The article says you will have diagnosed your iodine deficiency and improved your thyroid function. The articel says that by using this treatment you might be able to cut back or go off thyroid meds. PLEASE, HAS ANYONE TRIED THIS????? HAVE YOU HEARD ABOUT THIS???
thanks for any replies,
feeling lousy....Judy

Old 12-10-2002, 07:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
IF the cause for yout hypothyroidism is Iodine deficiency, this woudl work. On the flip-side of that, too much Iodine can cause thyroid problems, too.

In my case, I knew I was hypothyroid before I went to my doctor and had blood drawn. I tried treating myself by adjusting my diet and taking Kelp because it is very rich in Iodine. The Kelp made my hypothyroidism WORSE, and aggravated symptoms quite a bit.

The Iodine treatment you mention would have likely had the same effect on me. but then again, had I tried what you mentioned, it would have likely shown me that I wasn't deficient in Iodine, and that would have saved me the problems I had taking the Kelp.

I am defineitely not saying that you shouldn't give that a try, because it can help. What I am saying is that if you give it a try, listen to your body and note the symptoms. If the Iodine isn't absorbed quickly the first time, you dont' need it.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-10-2002, 05:35 PM   #3
Inactive

Judywhit HB User
thank you meep for your reply. I have done this iodine thing for two days now and the iodine disapears within hours. I also feel like I have a bit ore energy.... could be the placebo effect though. well thanks again. I would love to hear from others on this subject too.

Old 12-13-2002, 05:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Question

hi Judywhit,
why not get tested by a doctor and see if you are indeed deficient?

Old 12-17-2002, 12:24 PM   #5

Emily70335 HB User
What kind of iodine would you use? I don't know what iodine looks like?! Does it come in a pill form, and where do you buy it to do this test?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-2002, 05:34 PM   #6
Inactive

Judywhit HB User
here is a copy of the email for further review. It will explain the type of iodine.

"Do-It-Yourself Thyroid Cure"
If you have an underactive thyroid it may be partly due to an iodine deficiency. Reason: your body needs iodine in order to manufacture thyroxin, the thyroid hormone.

Luckily there's an excellent test you can do at home to check your iodine levels. Simply take a Q-tip, dip it into a 2% tincture of iodine (available at the drug store or supermarket), and paint an area the size of a silver dollar (if you remember what they look like) on your thigh or belly. This will leave a yellowish stain that should disappear in about 24 hours if your iodine levels are normal.

If the stain disappears in under 24 hours, it means your body is deficient in iodine and has thirstily sucked it up. If that's the case, keep applying the iodine every 24 hours, at different sites, until the stain lasts a full 24 hours.

Not only will you have diagnosed your iodine deficiency but you will have treated that deficiency and improved your thyroid function. Indeed, if you're on thyroid medication and you use this treatment, you'll find that you can cut back on the dosage--or probably discontinue the drug altogether!

William Campbell Douglass, M.D., advocate of Complementary Medicine.

Closed Thread