It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2003, 08:32 PM   #1

valeriejo HB User
Post significance of thryoid peroxidase level

hi there. I was wondering if someone knew exactly what the significance of a high level of thyroid peroxidase level is - for instance - would a high level be an indicator of how long one has had hypothyroidism? my TSH is at 9 (low normal T4, no T3 test)and my thyroid peroxidase level was at 70.0 (norm being bet. 0-2.0)last week, my general practitioner ordered blood tests after i was experiencing heart palpitations
and that's how we discovered i was having a thyroid problem, so this is all still very new to me. after getting these second blood tests done (the antibody tests) the endocronologist i was referred to said i had hashimoto's disease - is that subclinical hypothyroidism or, once labeled with that, am i no longer considered subclinical, but clinical? the endocronoligist put me on a low level of sythroid - .025 sythroid because she didn't want my heart to react badly (more palpitations). is .025 going to even do
anything? should i have a T3 test done? and again, what is the significance of the number of thyroid peroxidase antibodies (the higher it gets, the more it means what?)thanks a lot for any info. and/or shared experiences.

Old 01-29-2003, 06:05 PM   #2

ArtfulD HB UserArtfulD HB User
Hi valeriejo. Elevated levels of Thyroid Peroxidase antibodies (also known as Antithyroid Microsomal antibodies) are associated with an autoimmune disorder called "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis." The antibodies attack the thyroid gland and, generally, result in hypothyroidism.

Symptoms may swing between Hypo and Hyper or a combination of both. The antibodies sometimes flare-up, temporarily increasing the symptoms.

Selenium (100 mcg/day) may help fight the antibodies, and also helps your body metabolize thyroid hormone. A Peruvian herb called Maca (rich in Selenium, among other things) may also help.

Antibodies also have a tendency to make your TSH value fluctuate, so it is a good idea to have a complete thyroid blood test panel completed, preferably by an Endocrinologist who specializes in thyroid disease, including Free T3 and Free T4. The Free hormone levels show what is available for the body to use and help indicate how well your body is metabolizing hormone.

If you've not yet had a chance, you may want to read through our Information Archive thread. This 3-page thread includes symptoms lists, notes about antibodies, thyroiditis, supplements including Selenium & Maca, and much more.

[url="http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html"]http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/Forum118/HTML/000005.html[/url]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread