It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2003, 09:10 AM   #1

twirlygirl HB User
Question TSH levels, Hashimoto's, depression, (and seizures) oh my!

hey folks,

i figured i'd just combine all the subjects into one message.

re: TSH levels/Hashimoto's: i'm like <someone?>; my TSH levels always showed up as normal when they did physicals even though, in hindsight, i'm realizing that i've had symptoms of hypo developing for years. mainly depression/anxiety, feeling cold, joint problems, and dry skin. then i had something that looked like a simple partial seizure about a month ago and got a bunch of blood work done, and voila: TSH around 15, plus antibodies. not surprising; it runs in my family. i took my first 25 mcg of levoxyl (levothyroxine? is there a difference?) this morning.

re: depression: i'm like <someone?> (maybe the same someone?) also; i've taken antidep's for years because i was "depressed" even though i wasn't always Depressed... not surprisingly, they never quite did the trick (and often caused more problems than they were trying to fix). i'd feel less "depressed", but still have problems getting out of bed, doing chores, having motivation to go to work, etc. at the moment, i gotta say that it's making me quite angry that none of the psychiatrists ever suggested looking at the thyroid before they wrote out a 'script -- the last one went so far as to say to me, "you should consider whether you'll need to be on these meds for the rest of your life." ugh...

which brings me to seizures... i noted that listed in the side effects section of the insert on my levoxyl, that a "very unlikely but serious" side effect of taking hypothyroid meds is seizures. can anyone tell me anything about that? has this ever happened? because of last month's event, i'm currently on a driving restriction and dreading having a second seizure-like thingey, because no doubt that would be enough to convince an MD that i need to take Yet Another pill on a daily basis. don'twanna.

i will, if i have to, and of course i won't drive if i'm told it's unsafe to; but given that it would most likely be the side effect of a medication, and given that the best explanation i've come up with for the first one was also a side effect of a medication, it seems a bit crazy that the *solution* would be to take *another* medicine. eventually, it starts to feel like the meds are the problem, not the solution. or is it just me?

yours in frustration, as well as hope, and tremendous thanks that there is somewhere to vent and maybe get some advice,

twirlygirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2003, 02:43 PM   #2
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Hi,
It's strange isn't it that people can have all the same symptoms and yet have different illness's.As in my case.In 1999 I was having problems with depression,panic attacks,irritable bowel syndrome,tiredness,dizzy spells,deja~vu,dry skin,thin hair,etc etc.I had a eeg and cat scan,and was told I had temporal lobe epilepsy,and the spell's I was having were complex partial siezures.I was given tegretol,and later changed to lamictal.Last year I had a sore throat that wouldn't go away and the feeling that something was stuck in my throat.I was lethargic (and still am),hair still thinning etc etc.I had a blood test and the results were, thyroid AB (tpo)ABN 196.0 unknown units.Annotate. Above upper limit normal see doctor! Lab comment:tsh target range for thyroxine replacement is 0.1 - 1.5 mu/l.TSH 10.7 mu/l free t4 11 pmol/l.I was told it was autoimune thyroiditis and was put on thyroxine, 25mcg then 50mcg now 100mcg.Anyway I don't have siezures anymore,I just take my thyroxine as soon as I get up,and take my lamictal an hour after.I have quite a few more ailments and now wonder if everything I have is related to my thyroid even the siezures...hmmm.
take care
Garry

Closed Thread