It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2003, 08:10 PM   #1

syerra25 HB User
Question TSH levels... Is this REALLY high?

I'm new to this board and newly diagnosed as hypothyoid. My doc was very quick with me, so i'm relying on the Internet for info. From what I'm seeing, my TSH seems abnormally high, even for others with hypothyroid. The lab range is .4-4.4. I'm at 9.5. What implications does this have? Why is it so high? (if you even answer this) How many mcg of Synthroid are you on? Sorry for all the questions-- I'm just curious!!
Thanks,
Sylvia

Old 02-20-2003, 05:21 AM   #2

Blaana HB User
I think that high TSH levels are individualized. I've heard that they can get over 100. But some people can be very hypo with a TSH level near normal. TSH stands for thyroid stimulating hormone and is released by the pituitary gland and is normally released to regulate the function of the thyroid gland. When the thyroid hormones get low, more TSH is released.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2003, 08:07 AM   #3

jessica1 HB User
Hi, I personally believe that is high, I started out at a 12.5 and was put on various doses until I found the correct dose of .150mg of levoxyl. Did the dr. precrib you medication and did you go to a Endocrinologist?

Old 02-20-2003, 08:13 AM   #4
(male)

pdb123 HB User
I agree that TSH levels and how you feel are all very individualized. When diagnosed, my TSH level was 14.5 and even though I felt crummy, I was nowhere near being debilitated. I'm only on 50mcg of Levoxyl and that small amount has brought my TSH down into the normal range.

Old 02-20-2003, 09:30 AM   #5

Hillary HB User
Sylvia,
I'm starting to understand that tsh levels are very individual. My tsh is at 25 right now and up until last week I was unable to carry out my daily activities. I have 2 young children and just having a shower was too much effort. I started a new dose of synthroid (.100) a week ago and am starting to get out of my pajamas in the morning. I don't know how long it will take to get down to normal. I find after 4 weeks on a new dose I can tell if I need to go higher. It is frustrating that it takes this long. Good luck on getting your tsh down.

Old 02-20-2003, 11:51 AM   #6

syerra25 HB User
Thank you for your quick replies I have only seen a regular M.D. about this, and just found out yesterday what was going on. I'm now on 88 McG of Snythoid. Someone mentioned 4 weeks~ is that how long it takes to feel anything???
Several years ago I was diagnosed with Depression, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I probably just became so depressed from not having ANY energy. Thankfully this new doctor recognized that. I also just had a baby 6 months ago, so I assumed my sleepiness was only a result of having him. Hmmm... I can't wait to feel "normal," whatever that is.
With hypothyroid, do people often get extremely hyper in short bursts occasionally? I know that happens to me, but not sure if it relates to this or not.
Again, thank you.
...sylvia...

Old 02-20-2003, 12:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi syerra25,
That is great that you got treated so fast! Most doctors are just not up on thyroid!

It takes four to six weeks for the dose to saturate the cells, so you can see what effects that dose has on you. How fast anyone feels better is totally individual. Yes, it is hard that the process is slow.
But it is a natural process, not a drug effect.
It takes time for the body to rebalance and then heal.

Depression is also a symptom of hypothyroidism. Actually, post partum depression is from the process of the thyroid working to rebalance the body chemistry.
Many times a woman will go hypo after child birth, and the thyroid can just become permanently inadequate in function. And, like you said, feeling tired all of the time is depressing in itself!

As for feeling hyper, I am not sure if you mean feeling more lively, or actually going hyperthyroid.
If you have Hashimoto's, you would have thyroid fluctuations due to antibodies. You can and should ask the doc to order that blood test.

Old 02-21-2003, 02:04 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
I had my thyroid checked last week and my dr. never called me with my results. I left her a message yesterday and then she left me one and said she had my results but it wasn't urgent and she would call me today......she didn't .....I called the lab and the lab tech. said my thyroid was a "little high".What the heck does that mean??. I have no symptoms of high TSH.....any suggestions. Looking foward to speaking with my dr. but it will probably have to wait until Monday now....thanks bride527

Old 02-21-2003, 02:05 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

bride527 HB User
I had my thyroid checked last week and my dr. never called me with my results. I left her a message yesterday and then she left me one and said she had my results but it wasn't urgent and she would call me today......she didn't .....I called the lab and the lab tech. said my thyroid was a "little high".What the heck does that mean??. I have no symptoms of high TSH.....any suggestions. Looking foward to speaking with my dr. but it will probably have to wait until Monday now....thanks bride527

Old 02-21-2003, 09:50 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi bride527,
"A little high" may be considered to be hypo, depending on the doc's understanding of thyroid.

You may be asymptomatic and still be hypo. Not having symptoms does not mean you should not get treatment.
You should get a copy of your test results, and also make sure to have the thyroid antibodies test.

Old 02-22-2003, 05:57 PM   #11

twirlygirl HB User
hi...

i agree that normal levels are probably different for each person, and so the level at which one person feels positively awful will be the same level which for another person isn't so bad. there is most likely some threshold above which most people will have noticable symptoms, and that's probably how They originally determined what "high" levels are (i.e. the whole bell curve thing percentages thing).

for example, i was told that my TSH was around 15 when i was diagnosed a week or so ago. i realize in retrospect that i have been developing symptoms of hypothyroidism; but i don't think i ever felt like they were driving me really crazy in themselves. that's probably because they've been developing so slowly that i didn't notice a change from any one day to the next. but hey, just watch... in a few months i'll be feeling so wonderful that i won't be able to believe that i ever put up with feeling this way for so long.

twirlygirl

Closed Thread