It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2003, 04:36 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Post Meep....Re: flax as goitrogen?

I was reading through the information archive thread when something startling caught my eye. In the list of goitrogens you mentioned flax oil:

Quote:
Avoid entirely:

* Soy in any form that isn't fermented
* millet (actually WORSE when cooked)
* Rapeseed, canola, flax, soybean, safflower, corn and other polyunsaturated fats/oils
About five weeks ago, I began eating 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed daily for its omega-3s, in an attempt to lower my LDL level. Last week, my hypo symptoms got so bad, I thought I was going crazy. In the middle of that week, I ran out of flax, and the "symptom crisis" seems greatly improved as of now.

I've searched the Net for hours looking for a reference of flax as a goitrogen. The closest I've come is on an agricultural website where it mentions that ground flax plants should not be included in livestock feed because of goitrogenic properties. And one other site that mentioned briefly that mature flax seed doesn't have the effect -- that only the green plant, stems, leaves, and unripened seed do.

Naturally, I'm curious to know if I in effect poisoned myself. Do you have an authoritative source of your information? I'd really like to know the answer to this, since flax would be the simplest source of omega-3s for me.
TIA

Old 03-02-2003, 04:59 PM   #2

bwwcdnmom HB User
I started up with the ground up flax seed 1 tbsp a day with plenty of water, and holy dinah!! I became a new source of unexplored gas. I am what my doctor is calling Graves in waiting. I had an elevated Nuclear Uptake, and have a thyroid cyst. My blood work points to the hyper side but nothing drastic.
I have since stopped the flax seed and am thinking about using just the oil capsules.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2003, 07:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
Sadly, I don't remember my source for that, but I do remember that the source listed the oils like that all together. I also remember reading the livestock feed information about it as well, so I avoid flax, just to be safe, though I HAVE taken flax oil occasionally.

In a case like this, I recommend going with what works for you. If the flax oil causes a problem, maybe you could switch to fish oil for the Omega 3 fatty acids.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 03-02-2003, 10:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Thanks for the speedy replies.

Meep, I'm going to try calling the company that markets the flax. Silly me...I didn't think of doing that till after I asked you. It's on my to-do list for tomorrow. I'm hopeful they'll be able to tell me. If I find out for sure, I'll post again.

I was having no trouble at all using it. Just added it to a bowl of oatmeal each day in hopes of tackling that LDL, and it helped immensely with the hypo constipation. The fiber is so beneficial, I don't believe the oil only would be as useful. I just had a lipid panel done Thursday; the total was down 4 pts, LDL down 4 pts, and HDL up 5 points, enough to make a favorable difference in the ratio. I think that's pretty good for having the hypo working against me.

As for fish oil caps, I see so many comments about the 'fishy burps', I don't think I could deal with them...that taste is the reason I don't eat much fatty fish in the first place. Even the "best" ones on the market apparently produce that taste in some people, so I've been leery of trying them.

Old 03-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm back again with the information I have managed to gather, in case anyone else might be interested.

Every source I've read in the past touts the benefit of flax's high source of lignans. What they didn't say, and I didn't know until today is that lignans are another type of phytoestrogen. PEs, of course, are to be avoided for thyroid patients, as are polyunsaturated oils of the type contained in flax, canola, et al.

So it appears I received a double whammy - considering both the PEs and polyunsat'd oil - in my daily dose of this otherwise healthful food. It was extremely toxic to my system...I truly felt I was dying. Luckily, it took only about two days to leave my system, and I feel much better now. Live and learn - the hard way!

Old 03-03-2003, 05:36 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Hi all!
Boy, a person thinks they are trying to be healthy with things they think will help them, and then finds out it is not good for them. I really thought flaxseed was supposed to be great for everyone. I even got some, but hadn't used it yet. I guess now I won't. Also a question. I think I recall something about antacids and thyroid problems. Are they not a good idea? I have IBS symptoms quite often, today all day and I was in staff meeting which made it unbearable. I had 4 antacids in 2 hours. It really didn't help much, but wonder am I not supposed to take them?

Old 03-03-2003, 08:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Smile

Hi midwest1
Thanks so much for bringing this up and researching! I have a jar of flax seed oil capsules that I have just been unable to make myself take. Now I certainly won't!

Check out Carlson's fish oil. It is supposed to not have that fishy effect. I have not tried it, myself, but I think it is worth a try. Also, canned, oil-rich fish such as salmon, tuna and sardines are providers of omega 3. Some stores are selling omega-3 enriched eggs, too.

It would be good if you would add the flax info to the Information Archive thread.

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 03-03-2003).]

Old 03-06-2003, 06:11 AM   #8

Blaana HB User
Thanks for posting on this topic. I was taking high lignan flax seed oil and was not aware that it was high in phytoestrogens. I quit taking it 2 days ago.
Have a great day!

Old 03-06-2003, 08:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have added the information I gathered to the "Information Archive" as Tree Frog suggested.

Blaana, I wouldn't want to suggest that anyone should or shouldn't discontinue flax or its oil as a supplement. All I know is it had an awful effect on me.

Last edited by midwest1; 03-30-2004 at 05:59 PM.

Closed Thread