It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Question Does hypo cause constant hunger feeling?

Does anyone have times of constant hunger. It is the weirdest feeling. I could eat a nice size meal and than a little while later I get a feeling near the throat. It almost feels like the calories have been burned off immediately. At times Im ok but on certain days I just have this feeling and dont know whether to feed this feeling. It seems when I dont feed the feeling I feel 10 times worse. Any advice?

Old 05-19-2003, 09:13 AM   #2

lisaa HB User
Usually when you have the constant urgue to eat it is because your body is lacking something. I would suggest, if you dont already, taking a multi vitamin. This may help. Try different foods when you feel this way and maybe you'll find what you body is craving. Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2003, 06:57 PM   #3

LauraRey HB User
I'm now on 45 mg of Armour daily and as my metabolism picks up, I find I'm more hungry, but also hungry for different foods.

Before treatment started, I was constantly eating sugar, carbs, and caffeine to compensate for the lack of energy I felt.

I know that one of the things I've wondered is if hypoglycemia goes along with thyroid dis-ease.

Laura

Old 05-20-2003, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Hypoglycemia can cause that feeling, and I have found that a lot of people that have thyroid problems have blood sugar problems as well so you may want to have that checked.
I have been hypoglycemic for about 7 years and hypothyroid (hashi's) for 2 years. Try changing your diet, cut out sugar, things made with white flour should be avoided, which would be most all processed foods like crackers etc.,small amounts of corn and potatoes and never have them together at the same meal. Eat whole grains, vegetables, nuts, and small amounts of fruit in addition to protien foods, make sure you get a balance at every meal. Also, watch your intake of caffine and alcohol, they both effect your blood sugar.
If the hunger feeling is from a blood sugar problem, this should help to alleviate that feeling.
Good luck!

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 05-20-2003).]

Old 05-20-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Talking

I am always hungry too! Seems my cravings are unbelievable. This can be a problem if I give into my cravings. I try to eat less sugary things, but chocolate is very tempting. I am hungry when I first wake up in the morning, and if I don't eat, I feel sick to my stomach.

Old 05-20-2003, 04:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Bellajoon,
Have you ever tried unsweetened carob? Not like chocolate but you get used to it and its pretty good.
I have had that sick in the morning feeling, have you ever tried sqeezing a lemon in some ice water (no sugar) and sipping on that? that seems to help my sick feeling.

Old 05-21-2003, 08:55 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Talking

dea4,
I haven't tried carob, that might be something to think about. I take a water bottle to aerobics at 6 am, and thats a wonderful idea about the lemon. I still have to eat though. Naughty me, I had cereal with a tad of milk today! I was craving cereal. I think I will check out the health food stores this weekend for some milk substitute with no calcium. Thanks for the ideas! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/heart.gif

Old 05-21-2003, 09:28 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Thanks for the replys.

Old 05-22-2003, 10:26 AM   #9

Emi001 HB User
Hi. I always have the hunger feeling too. I noticed that I'm eating sweets. B4 I wasn't into sweet stuff. And I noticed I don't gain weight from it either. I was told I have an over active Thyroid.

Old 06-02-2003, 07:20 PM   #10

Pattyleah HB User
i'm hypo, and i would always crave sugar and caffine! sometimes other carbs, such as breads, but mostly SUGAR CAFFINE SUGAR CAFFINE SUGAR!!! "what do you MEAN i can't have skittles and mountain dew for breakfast!?!?" i could never get enough, and i never felt full. i've read that when you're hypo your body craves them as a source of quick energy, and i belive it. it got a lot better after meds, but sometimes i still want nothing more than a bag of jelly bellies (maybe just a sweet tooth? probably.)

Closed Thread