It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board

rapid heart beat

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2003, 06:53 PM   #1
Flipppy

Flipppy HB User
Post rapid heart beat

last fall my thyroid was eliminated by the radiation pill. I had Graves. About 6 weeks ago Synthroid was increased to 125. About 2 weeks after that I got a very rapid heart beat.I went in to see my doc, he did a EKG and prescribed a pill that brought my heart rate back to normal. It had been racing for about 5 hours. The doc also tested my levels which turned out to be " a little high" . The doc swears up and down that it wasn't a synthroid over load that caused the rapid heart beat. He doesn't know why it happened. What do you all think? I'm not an M.D but I've never had that happen before and I'm begining to wonder if this guy knows what he's talking about.He has me on 112 every other day and 125 the alternating days. I think it's too much, I'm having trouble sleeping and I'm anxious. I just went Friday and had the levels checked again....he wants to keep the same dosage and see me in three months. Sorry this is so long ! lol
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-16-2003, 07:55 PM   #2
SvenskaFlicka

SvenskaFlicka HB User
Smile

Do you mean hypo high or hyper low?
It would help to know all three of your levels with Labs range. It is suggested to get copies of test results with Lab range. You can make like a journal on the back regarding what dose meds you are on, how you feel, symptoms, or any other problems you are experienceing you think might be related to thyroid, etc. Then you can take it to the doctors next time or a list to help you remember. Knowing your results will also help here when you have questions.

For a dosage change three months is not too long. TSH takes awhile to show up. Sleeping problems may just be a Graves' thing or something else however a lot of us Gravers' have the problem too. Have you tried sleeping pills?
My doctor had me alter meds too and I might have to do it again this time. Just like you 112 and 125.

You just had treatment last fall and it takes a little time to start feeling better, so give it more. Nothing more to add without knowing your levels. Anyway hope this helps a little.

Good Luck,

------------------
Flicka

Old 06-17-2003, 09:20 AM   #3
Flipppy

Flipppy HB User
Ok I will do that. Up until recently I couldn't think enough to get the numbers. And yes, the doc has prescribed Ambien which was great for about a month, but now I think it's built up in my system and doesn't work as well. I didn't take it the other night but did last night and actually slept well.
Thanks for the input.

Old 06-17-2003, 09:36 AM   #4
Hillary

Hillary HB User
Flippy,
I also had Graves and RAI. 125 of Synthroid was also too much for me and I was anxious and had heart palps. This happened after 3 weeks, so it can show up on your TSH. I believe symptoms can change very quickly and you know your own body. Some people are very sensitive to drugs and like me, maybe you are one of them. I, too, am back on 112. Maybe alternating doses will be the answer for me too. I understand how you feel. My symptoms seem to be worse at night and I struggle with joint stiffness and muscle twitches too.
Good luck.

Closed Thread