It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
(female)

blondegal HB User
Post Is my TSH dangerously low?

This past week my endo did a follow-up and my TSH was 0.864 (0.40 - 4.5) and he said it was way too low. I feel really well but his reaction did not give me any comfort. Is this lab result dangerously low even though it's within the normal range? So confused.

Old 06-14-2003, 04:23 PM   #2

lisaa HB User
Did he also do a T4 and T3? If not I would ask him to do so before he even considers your TSH to be way too low. That will give you a better picture as to what may be going on. Just a suggestion........good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2003, 05:16 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
I'm with Lissa, unless he did other tests that would suggest problems, or you're having hyper symptoms, your TSH looks perfect. Don't let him lower your dose of meds until he explains himself. I'm glad you're feeling better.

Old 06-14-2003, 05:19 PM   #4

SvenskaFlicka HB User
Smile

Levels less than Lab range could be considered dangerously low. Your TSH is still in Lab range and as long as you are feeling good I don't understand what his concern is. I would be more concerned if the T-4/FT-4 was too high or out of Lab range. I don't know your situation so perhaps your doctor has reason for saying it's too low. He also may be anticipating your TSH to go even lower, especially if you just started on the meds or present dose within the last few weeks/months.
Some feel better encluding myself with levels even lower than yours and I don't consider it dangerous. However we all are different, what is good for me or others may not be good for you.
The best way not to be confused is to ask your doctor questions, questions, questions and don't be afraid to ask more questions. The more you know the better off you will be and, the less afraid and confused.

Good Luck,

------------------
Flicka

Old 06-14-2003, 09:45 PM   #5
(female)

blondegal HB User
I see on my lab order that my endo did request a Free T-4 but not Free T-3. I am going to have to call on Monday to find what the result is. I am supposed to be taking .100 mcg of Levoxyl daily now to try to lower my thyroxine levels. I am sort of concerned because my TSH has probably been low for quite some time. I'm just not sure what levels we are aiming for on the TSH (I'll ask) nor how awful I'll feel if we raise it much more.

Old 06-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #6

lisaa HB User
Get your T3 and T4 done and come back and post them with ranges, maybe some of us can give you advice. Also you didn't post what your dx is if any. This will help also. Good luck and let us know , take care

Old 06-16-2003, 01:57 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB UserTree Frog HB User
Hi blondegal,
Sorry, I forget your story.
Have you been hypo, or hyper? Seems like you were hypo.

Personally, I don't see what his problem with the result is.
Your lab test will indicate if your test is high or low. Did it?

He may have misread the result. that happens. Once my doc cut my dose in half, I went right back to her in a few days, and she told me she didn't know what she was thinking. She re-upped my dose.

Your endo may have read the result as .0864 rather than 0.864.

If he insists in lowering your dose, I would tell him you need a second opinion, since you felt well, had no hyper symptoms, and the test was still within lab range.

Your TSH would likely be too high for me..we are all different. The doc should consider symptoms as well as lab results.

I hope your dose is not too small for you!

[This message has been edited by Tree Frog (edited 06-16-2003).]

Old 06-16-2003, 12:20 PM   #8
(female)

blondegal HB User
Thank you everyone for all your responses and for the helpful information.

I have been hypo most of my life - from age of 23 (acquired hypothyroidism.)

It appears that my endo is one who wants the TSH range of the patient to fall between 1 and 2. I confirmed my results:

Free T-4 2.0 (0.8 - 1.6)
TSH 0.864 (0.40 - 4.5)

I see that my Free T-4 is still a little high (2.5 months ago it was 2.4 with the same reference range.) It has dropped a little and my TSH is up just a tad (from 0.810.) I feel very well but he explained that the Free T-4 is still just a bit high. The T-3 he didn't check at all so I asked about that and he says he doesn't suspect a problem. I am only slightly comfortable with the idea that he's not concerned about my T-3. Does anyone have anything to say about my T-3 and how could he tell by just looking things over physically and the two labs he did do?

PS Weight is stable, heart is not racing and I'm sleeping.

Old 06-16-2003, 08:36 PM   #9

Mollymalone HB User
For 30 years I've felt good. For all these years the older doctors have been ignoring the tests because I have felt good. Now a young doctor suggests that my TSH has been too low, for too long. I'm 60. Do you know what I will do now, after having test results ignored and after having felt good, for 30 years? I will struggle with heart problems and osteoporosis.

Low TSH means too much thyroid hormone. Many years of too much thyroid hormone can lead to osteoporosis and heart problems. Some people will tell you that it doesn't really mean that. Well, I'm proof that it can. There is no osteoporosis in my family, and no heart trouble. I'm the first woman in my family to have either.

There is too much self-diagnosis. Listen to the doctor. If you don't trust this doctor, get a second opinion, and preferrably from an endocrinologist. Find a doctor that you can trust and listen to him. Don't end up one day like me, after years of low TSH, and years of too much thyroid hormone.

Old 06-17-2003, 12:15 PM   #10

lisaa HB User
Molly, Thank you for posting this! There are alot risks associated with too low of TSH. Unless of course it is necessary (as in cancer patients). This is something we have to look forward to. I'm so sorry you suffer from all these problems. I do hope that others will take you into consideration, when their dr. says their TSH is too low. Take care, and I wish you good health!

Old 06-17-2003, 02:20 PM   #11
(female)

blondegal HB User
Mollymalone: With regard to TSH levels - you have expressed exactly what I have been concerned about. I also think my TSH levels have been too low for about the past year. I have also had significant bone loss this last year as well and discussed this with my doc. I've reduced my levoxyl from .125 to .100 mcg's per day and hopefully this will be alot safer for me. I have many risk factors and desparately want to avoid losing bone needlessly (I'm a woman, fair, small boned, slender, on and on.) My thanks too for posting this information.

[This message has been edited by blondegal (edited 06-17-2003).]

Closed Thread