It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2003, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

flow3rlady HB User
Post hypothyroid and heart palpitations

I am new to this board though I've been reading for some time. I was told by my pcp that I was borderline low (5.32, I think). I've had heart palpitations for several months. EKG showed extra beat but doc said it didn't concern him too much. I test again at the end of July. I also have numb hands when I wake up and some toes on each foot that are numb as well. I sometimes feel like I'm having a hard time swallowing. From reading posts, I feel like I have symptoms of both hypo and hyper. I literally feel like I'm falling apart and I'm only 43. The heart things are really scaring me though. Are they normal with either of these things? Someone help me out here because I just don't know what to think. Any answers?

Old 06-28-2003, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Hi,
I dont know if Im much help, but I do have weird feelings in the chest area. I have a vibration feeling at times and either a slow or very fast heartbeat. Mostly when sleeping or trying to sleep I will get a stabbing pain in the heart/chest area, although I have had tests..all negative, I am still not convinced. After numerous GP visits he finally sent me to a cardiologist who said everything was fine. Maybe you should ask your GP that it would make you feel better if you would talk to a Cardiologist. Most likely you are probably fine, but for your own piece of mind if anything. All of these mystery pains are very unsettling, I know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-29-2003, 12:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB User
Heart palpitations are common, try taking magnesium citrate, this usually helps to calm them and is often recommended to people with mitral valve prolapse to help control palpitations also.

Old 06-30-2003, 05:59 AM   #4

allisok HB User
I was having palpitations and that's what prompted me to go to the doctor. Thats when I found out I was Hypo. They did ekg's, an echo cardiogram and a 24 hour monitor. It also showed an extra beat. The doctor was not concerned.
I have now been on Synthroid for about 2 months and the heart palpitations have diminished to almost never having them. Supposedly heart palps are a symptom of Hyperthyroid or over active thyroid but apparently it is also a symptom of underactive. My guess is if the thyroid is not working properly whether under or over active its going to affect how your body functions. Almost like the heart not beating right is a warning something is wrong.
I know exactly what you're going through. It's very very scary when your heart is not beating normally which caused alot of anxiety for me as I was scared.
Good luck to you and hope you feel better once they give you medication. Remember it takes a while before your heart will stop this foolishness!!!

Old 07-04-2003, 02:43 AM   #5

piercedgrl25 HB User
hi i was reading your message my heart is also doing stuff that doesnt feel right it is like skipping its beat more today then any other day im very afraid im going to die or some thing like in my sleep i dont know i go to the endo doctor in august for a thyroid scan i think im hyper the doctor said that hyper is what it sounds like also i have a big lump, goiter or nodule im not sure what term to use but its gotten huge and only getting bigger im very afraid i have 3 little boys 8,4,3 im only 25 (august i will be 26 ) but im always thinkng what if im not here to take care of my boys .

Old 07-05-2003, 03:33 PM   #6
(female)

sunny3 HB User
Hi Piercedgrl,
So sorry to hear about your palpitations. They are scarey and I've had them and still have them. If it helkps you at all, I had all the tests done by a cardiologist and there is no cardiac pathology. It's apparently just a signal that our hormones are out of wack. I plan to see an endo on Friday. Is there any way that you cold get in earlier to see your doc? Maybe you could ask to be placed on a cacellation list and describe your specific need. Sending peace and goog thoughts to you.
Sunny

Old 07-06-2003, 05:06 AM   #7
(female)

JadenStacy HB User
My heart does the same thing. And lately I have been getting the sharp pains in my chest occasionally as well as a vibrating feeling. And I have noticed my heart pounding more so than before.
If you haven't done so already..decrees your caffiene intake dramatically. Don't drink caffiene at all and limit your foods that contain caffiene such as chocolates, etc. This has helped somewhat for me.
Sometimes I feel like my body has a surge of heat that travels throughout my body when my heart flutters.

Old 07-06-2003, 03:54 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

AngelaA HB User
Yes I have had same thing. I always attributed the heart palipatations & surge of heat to having a hotflash since usually it happens at night and I am also dripping sweat. I have felt a vibration too, but not in heart area, but rather lower abdomenal area. I have no idea what it is. A dr listening to heart once told me I have a slight murmur. I've never had any cardiology tests though.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:45 PM   #9

shapearson HB User
Smile

Hi,

I also had heart palpitations and a funny pain in my chest. About a year before the palpitations, I developed a "lumpy" feeling in my throat. I could feel it whenever I swallowed. I was incorrectly diagnosed with acid reflux. Finally had a UGI to rule out acid reflux. When the palpitations and pain started I went back to the dr. I was also experiencing tingling in my fingers. The EKG showed an extra spike/beat(?). I also had a stress test with exrays and a sonogram. All tests were okay. However, the blood tests showed I was hypothyroid. After I started taking Levoxyl, the heart palpitations, lump in my throat and tingling in my fingers went away. I still had other symptoms, like tiredness and some hair loss. But, after getting my medication "worked out" I'm happy to say that right now I'm feeling great! Just got new test reports back and TSH is at 1.45, down from 6.554. Don't know if this helps, but just thought I would pass it along. Good Luck!

Shapearson

Closed Thread