It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2003, 10:44 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
Post Can thyroid affect protein levels in urine/kidneys?

Hello...I'm hoping someone out there can help. I have had lots of problems since having a baby a year ago. Two doctors have asked if I have a family history of thyroid problem (my dad, uncle, aunt and grandma all have problems) even though basic thyroid test came back normal. Some of my symptoms are: palpitations, shortness of breath, tingling hands, low body temp., abdominal pain, chest pain, achy back and protein in the urine. Does anyone know if there is a link between protein in urine and thyroid? Do you think my symptoms sound like thyroid problems...what tests should I ask for? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Old 07-19-2003, 11:22 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Hi,
I would DEFINITELY get your thyroid checked. I can really relate to you. I too had a baby one year ago and a few months after is when all of my problems starting and seem to be getting worse & worse as the months go on despite being on medication. My endo said mine was brought on by the pregnancy. It was bad enough that I had an eventful pregnancy, now I have to deal with this. About 2 months after pregnancy I did experience hyper symptoms (palpitations, hunger, trouble sleeping), a few weeks after that I think is when I became hypo because I was getting other symptoms and the palpitations stopped. I have not been the same since, nor do I think anything is going to get better at this point. I started on .25 Synthroid and recently upped to .88 and not seeing much of a difference. I have all of your above symptoms except the palpitations, but I do experience a buzzing sensation in my body occasionally which seems a little better when I eat and I get chest pain (heart is supposedly ok). My newest thing is excess gas pockets, chest pain into my back, digestive problems, hair loss, tiredness, shortness of breath, chest wall pain/rib pain. You are not alone
Lin

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2003, 12:03 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I second that opinion. Get checked out further. The "basic" test you refer to is probably TSH, which even if it reads "normal" can't solely rule out thyroid problems. Post-pregnancy is a very common time for such problems to surface, and your family history puts you at a high risk for them.

Old 07-19-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

hilery79 HB User
Hi Rorie~
I just replied to you on the kidney forum, also.

Wow, I didn't realize that pregnancy could cause thyroid problems. I had a baby 4 months ago.
I know that couldn't have caused my cancer, but it might explain my hypo and hyper symptoms along with my kidney stone.
My thyroid tests, also have came back normal (4 times now). Yet, I have all of the symptoms of hypo and sometimes some hyper symptoms, as well. My dr. keeps saying that my thyroid isn't causing my symptoms, but I have a feeling that somehow it is. I've had my left lobe removed because of a nodule and found out it was cancerous. So, I go back on tues. to have the rest taken out. Hopefully, this will get rid of the cancer and eventually (with meds) all of my symptoms.
Anyway, (sorry for rambling) I would agree with the other two posts and have more thyroid tests done. You might try to get into an endocrinologist. (I haven't been able to get into one yet-around here they are very hard to get into)
Good luck
Hilery

Old 07-19-2003, 08:30 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
Ginger-
Thanks for your reply. You said you had all my symptoms except for the palpitations...so you had protein in your urine aslo?

Closed Thread