It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2003, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User
Question Is Hashimoto's caused by a Virus

I have heard people refer to Hashimoto's as being caused by a virus. And that our immune system swings into full bore and starts attacking our Thyroid. I can say that I pretty much feel like I have the Flu/virus 24/7. I never know how I will feel say 2 hours from now. This afternoon I felt as if I was getting a cold and actually my throat itched,burned and tickled. sometimes I get a couple of hours where I feel normal.
Anyone else have any comments or thoughts they would like to share on the subject?

Old 07-22-2003, 03:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User
It's not necessarily caused by a virus, but I guess it could be no one's really sure, It seems to be mostly hereditary. What actually happens is...Your body thinks your thyroid is a virus, so therefore the antibodies that ususally would attack a virus also attack the thyroid which kills it eventually. I can tell you from my experience with Hashi's, I always felt like I had a virus or something. Since having my TT in April I haven't had any of those symptoms. Hope this helps
Nodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 06:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I have the book "Living Well With Autoimmune Disease" by Mary Shomon that devotes a whole chapter to causes. Bottom line, they still don't know.
A bacteria or virus sometimes plays a role, but not in every person who comes in contact with the organism.

Other bodily hormones might play a role. It's thought that estrogen, prolactin, testosterone and all the rest have the ability to suppress or stimulate the immune system. This effect isn't completely understood, but the estrogen effect might explain why between 75-90% of autoimmune disease sufferers are women.

It also is known that environmental conditions cause some disease; but again, it isn't completely understood, because some people are affected... but nowhere near all.
The book makes very interesting reading.

Old 07-22-2003, 09:44 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ellyn HB User
Thanks for both of your responses. They make sense. I feel like I have the Flu/virus and I feel very imbalanced.

What part does the Estrogen play. A lack of it??

Old 07-23-2003, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
The theories in the book I referred to are numerous and sometimes conflicting, because several experts are quoted within the same chapter. I don't want to quote them for copyright reasons, and I don't want to risk misinterpreting their theories. But briefly... At least one believes it isn't so much a lack of estrogen, but a lack of testosterone that's key. I have read other sources which say that estrogen dominance fostered by the indiscriminate use of soy may play a role.

Another opinion explaining the high proportion of occurrence in women says that women's immune systems are far more complex, due to their bodies' ability to adapt to pregnancy. The baby is considered by the body to be a "foreign" object, so the immune system may shut down to avoid rejecting it, according to the quoted expert. That may be the reason that post-pregnancy is such a common period for immune disease to appear.
But still and all, these are only theories, and no one yet has definitive proof of any of it.

Old 07-23-2003, 12:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
An interesting theory that I stumbled across when looking for a connection between Epstein Barr virus and thyroid problems:

One group of doctors have noticed that in Hashimotos's patients, the ones who have had Mono (Epstein Barr Virus) or test positive for Epstein Barr antibodies are more likely to develop thyroid cancer than ones who haven't had Mono or tested positive for the Epstein Barr antibodies.

I wish I could remember the source for that. I found it over a year ago, and would like to follow up and see if they have more verification for their findings.

I have also stumbled across other information stating that Epstein BArr often sets the stage for autoimmune diseases such as Hashimoto's and Lupus to caome into play. I haven't seen definitive verification of that, though.

[This message has been edited by Meep (edited 07-23-2003).]

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 07-23-2003, 12:53 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
I have a question about Mono...my sister also has Hypo and her 17 yr old son just got mono...does that mean he was predisposed to getting it? And does Mono stay in the system forever?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 07-23-2003, 01:42 PM   #8

allisok HB User

I think it could be caused by any trauma to the body whether it be a virus, car accident or stress. Mine came after I was under severe stress.
I also wonder though, how many people with thyroid problems also have allergies. Allergies is also an immune problem.
Like the cause of many disease's it will always be uncertain.

Closed Thread