It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 01:17 PM   #1

allisok HB User
Angry achy muscles, why?

Why does being Hypo cause your muscles to be so sore? I wake up in the morning and it hurts to walk. Feels like I walked a thousand miles sometimes. This is very very frustrating as my doctor increased my Synthroid from .025 to .050 and I feel worse. Also sometime my skin iches so badly. Anyone have that one?
I appreciate you reply's

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 03:29 AM   #2

cjay HB User
Hi.. I know how you feel. For years I felt as if I had weights on my feet and legs, even after a "good nights sleep".

When muscle and joint aches and pains accompany hypothyroidism, are they a separate problem -- fibromyalgia -- or is fibromyalgia a symptom of the thyroid problem itself?

Unfortunately, the hypothyroidism is a separate issue from the accompaning muscle pains.

You may request that your doctor do a bone age study to see if you are a candidate for Fibromyalgia. You also want to get a reference to Rhematologist for this condition.

Fibromyalgia is a condition typically characterized by musculoskeletal pain and fatigue.
fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue are in many cases just a package of symptoms of an underlying underactive thyroid problem.

Hope this info is helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2003, 04:28 AM   #3

daldre1269 HB User
Hi...
Prior to finally seeking treatment for hypothyroid, the muscle aches were one of my first symptoms. I felt as you do... slept 14 hrs straight and could barely walk when I got out of bed. If I forced myself to workout that morning I would be in bed for the rest of the day. If I forced myself to jog like my usual normal self... I would not be able to walk after that either... horrible leg and ankle pain.

I was diagnosed with hypothyroid and fibromyalgia. The fibromyalgia is a result of the hypothyroid and thankfully has been COMPLETELY relieved with the use of armour and cytomel.

You probably would benefit greatly from adding t3(cytomel) to your t4.

Old 07-22-2003, 06:41 AM   #4

allisok HB User
Thank you for your responses. I see the endocrinologist Monday and will ask him about it.

Old 07-22-2003, 07:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
I have to tell you that your joints and muscles can be achy from hypoT without any accompanying fibromyalgia. I've been tested for fibro, scleroderma, MCTD, and RA by a rheumatologist and found to have none of them; but I do have achy feet, hands, and large muscles.
I've read these conditions are caused by fluid retention (muccopolysaccharides, not water) in the joints, and lactic acid retention in muscles... due to the general slow-down of metabolism with hypoT.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:28 PM   #6
(male)

couldbeworsaspose HB User
Talking

Hi,
I know what you mean!,I can't be of much help to you,but I can confirm you are not alone.My muscles and joints ache,from my feet up.I ache when I get out of bed and I ache before I lift my weights,and when I've lifted my weights I wished I hadn't lol.My left arm is hurting all the time and doesn't want to heal,I think I overdid the weghts,but that was months ago.But yes you're right it seems part and parcel of hypo.

Old 07-23-2003, 02:39 PM   #7

soarsister HB User
I have been disabled since 99 with fibromyalgia. Now I have multinodular goiter. It will be great if the thyroid caused all this and could be cured with a pill or thyroidectomy! However my TSH levels are normal...so maybe it isn't connected. I go tomorrow to the doc...hope he can give me answers.

Old 07-24-2003, 04:48 AM   #8

daldre1269 HB User
Soarsister... my labs were normal too. So normal infact that I was denied treatment at first. Go here for some interesting info on fibromyalgia and hypothyroid. [url="http://www.drlowe.com"]www.drlowe.com[/url]

Old 01-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #9

soarsister HB User
Re: achy muscles, why?

well, I forgot about this post! I got my rt lobe removed of the goiter. They did a frozen section and found lymphocytes with hurtle cells, and diagnosed me with hashimoto's chronic thyroiditis. After the removal (I am a little ****** they left the left lobe since it is big too) I am on 137mcg of synthroid, and can tell no difference in my pain levels. I guess the symptoms didn't have anything to do with my thyroid. My TSH is still normal, regardless of the amount of meds I take...kinda wierd. I have read Dr Lowes info, however, playing with my tsh numbers didn't change how I felt at all. I can't tell the difference regardless of where I get my tsh.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:44 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

I can't believe they left your left node with you having Hashimoto's and Hurtle cells. The Hashimoto's could still be causing your sore muscles and pain. Just because half your thyroid is gone doesn't mean you still don't have Hashimoto's. Are you taking any other medication unrelated to thyroid. Many meds have side effects of muscle pain and weakness. Have you had your Vitamin D level checked? If it is low you are not absorbing calcium and magnesium and that can cause the problem.

Also, I believe that once you have the muscle problems for months or yrs. , it stills takes time for them to get strong again even after you find the cause.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:01 AM   #11

soarsister HB User

YEAH, I was ****** when I woke up and found out I still had the other side! I knew they'd do the FS to be sure of cancer, but thought for sure they'd remove it all. My great-aunt had thyroid cancer and my grandmother (her sister) had goiter. My sister has goiter as well, they assume due to my history she has Hashimoto's as well. I had a sono that showed no growth since, but I still get hoarse and chock easily. sometimes I lose my voice. I'll have to check on the vit d, but usually I show no vitamin def.
I take synthroid 137 mcg. my tsh is .9 and the other meds I take are elavil,monopril,glucophage, and occasionally flexeril. Pain pills don't work at all.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #12
(female)

likeabirdie HB User

Fybro pain for years before the Nigel the nodule showed up. Had Only right side removed, hashimotos, gald they left the left side, Hurthel cells but No cancer!!! Would like and hope that some day my boarderline Hypo could be reversed without having to take thyroid for the rest of my life. Hypo systems and body ache/fybro pain worse since Dec surgery but again hopeful that I can nourish myself to get Hashis to abait and that my 1/2 thyroid will beable to pick up the slack. Still I am undecided as to if I should try thyroid or just tough it out with anti inflammatory diet. I so want my body to work as it was designed and still believe it can be so. My voice has always been 'smoke and brandy'. Sure wish there was a fix all pill, then I'd be skinny, healthy and taller!!
^^

Old 01-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #13

soarsister HB User

Not sure I understand the aversion to thyroid hormone...I can't tell the difference taking it or not.
However, I wasn't under the impression Hashimotos goes away, and they never even gave me a choice on synthroid, first I took it to try and shrink the thyroid tissue, then I took it to replace the rt sides function...since the tsh levels rarely change out of the normal zone either way, I wonder if anything would happen if I did stop.
Personally wonder if I could tell adifference. there were no side affects either way, and no noticible difference in the different level of synthroid I have tried.
Carla

Closed Thread