It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 04:32 PM   #1

lucy12 HB User
Question Question!!

I was hoping that somebody could shed some light on something that I am not sure I understand....I am on Synthroid 12.5mcg daily, how is that supposed to affect your free T4 levels? I have been on this dose for 8 weeks now and my level has gone from 1.6 to currently 1.2 lab normal (.7-1.9). I always thought that being on synthroid would increase that level...am I wrong? By the way my other labs are as follows:
Free T3 2.6 (1.4-3.5)
Tsh .768 ( .32-5.0) it was this exact level before synthroid was started.
I am feeling worse than before I started the synthroid and I am not understanding why. If anybody has any ideas I would be appreciative. Thanks for you help!

Old 08-06-2003, 03:28 AM   #2

daldre1269 HB User
With all thyroid meds... if the starting dose is too low it can suppress thyroid function because the dose is not big enough to provide what you need... yet it is suppressing your own body's production.

You can definitely end up feeling much worse. Also, keep in mind that the majority of people that need thyroid meds do much better with a t4/t3 combo like armour, thyrolar or cytomel added to t4.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2003, 05:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Divermon HB User
I'm not that knowledgable - there are others here who are far more so that I, but .....

Why are you on meds? With a TSH in the normal range (many people on this board report feeling best, just a little higher than yours), and T3 and T4 well in the normal range. Not to ignore that you have symptoms though.

Does anyone else interpret Lucy's numbers differently? (still learning myself)

Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 AM   #4

lucy12 HB User
Thanks for your replies......I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis with very high antibody levels. The doc thought that some synthroid might help with my symptoms. Unfortunately, this has not been the case so far.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lucy12:
Thanks for your replies......I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis with very high antibody levels. The doc thought that some synthroid might help with my symptoms. Unfortunately, this has not been the case so far.
I also have Hashimotos. A nutritionist suggested raw thyroid rather than the Synthroid. I have been taking this for years and have managed to keep within normal range. I just had my yearly blood test today so I will see if there has been any change.

Old 08-06-2003, 07:26 AM   #6
(male)

etIII HB User
Unhappy

Hello Lucy12!
I'm still trying to figure out why we still feel like crud when we've taken the prescribed meds. Maybe we should all go see the same shrink so they can give us some more meds. I hate to be facetious, yet the Drs. are not going to let us stray from their cash-cow very far. Forgive me for not believing that our Drs. have our best interest in mind. How many times have I heard; "come back next week". Then next week I hear the same! If I'm wrong, then I want to hear it from the Drs.! I don't hear them defending their position here or a solid cure. So far I've seen 5 Drs. and all said, DUH! I'm having to dx myself while I'm paying them, please!? I'm still sticking with the multiple organ/gland theory, even lymph-nodes. There's more to this than the proper treatment requires! Why do we have to inform them what the new TSH levels are? Did we actually put a man on the moon? I need more tests, I want to be cured!

Sorry for ranting, http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/hammer.gif
etIII

Old 08-06-2003, 08:26 AM   #7

lucy12 HB User
No need to apologize etIII, I feel your frustration trust me!!

peregrine.......what is raw thyroid? Do you mean like Armour? Do you have an Endo that prescribes it? Just curious. Are you feeling better since you have been taking it?

Old 08-06-2003, 12:10 PM   #8
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lucy12:
No need to apologize etIII, I feel your frustration trust me!!

peregrine.......what is raw thyroid? Do you mean like Armour? Do you have an Endo that prescribes it? Just curious. Are you feeling better since you have been taking it?
It is made by NutriPak. Armour isn't an Rx, right? Neither is this. It is inexpensive and (for me) does the trick.

Closed Thread