It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2003, 08:20 PM   #1

kael HB User
Talking You can be hypo and hyper at the same time!?!?!

Hi - In my quest for information lately, I have experienced alot of confusion because I have some hypo and some hyper symptoms at the same time - not to mention that some of the symptoms are the same for both and my labs have been so screwy I haven't really known what's up.

Today I came accross an interesting article and I just thought I'd pass the URL along for anyone who wants to check it out. [url="http://www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/thyroid2.html"]www.anapsid.org/cnd/diffdx/thyroid2.html[/url]

Does anyone else experience either fluctuations between hypo and hyper symptoms or having many of them simultaneously?

Also, have any of you had such specific antibody tests done that you know definitively that you either have Hashi's or Graves? I wasn't aware there was a specific test to tell.

Hugs,
kael

Old 08-06-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
Also, have any of you had such specific antibody tests done that you know definitively that you either have Hashi's or Graves? I wasn't aware there was a specific test to tell.
Yeah...well there are tests...graves antibodies are IgG antibodies and along with the clinical picture (i.e. hyperthyroid, goiter, exophthalmos and pretibial myxedema) it can give a pretty accurate picture as to which one you have (Hashimoto's is usually hypothyroid). Also, Hashimoto's antibody tests are usually for antibodies against thyroglobulin and thyroid peroxidase, while the antibodies in Graves' are different--they don't attack the thyroid gland per se, but actually stimulate it.

There is a certain type of thryoiditis where you can go from being hyperthyroid to hypothyroid pretty quickly...this is subacute thyroiditis. What is thought to happen is that there is a viral infection of the thyroid gland, and it dumps all of its stores of thyroid hormone in to circulation. So you get hyperthyroid...but then what happens is (a lot of the time) these circulating thyroid hormones cause an immune reaction against the thyroid gland which actually injures it. So, after the person recovers from the thyroiditis and hyperthyroidism, the person goes hyPOthyroid for a few weeks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 01:49 AM   #3

quietlamb HB User
hmmm didnt know that last one about the viral infection..

I fluctuate I guess.. My tsh shows that I am hyper.. but all the symptoms I have is Hypo. So for awhile he wasnt sure exactly how to treat me. I am actually Hypo and have hashimoto's.. They did a RAI and killed my thyriod because I had a goiter and was causing problems with the swollowing.. So we thought.. It was actually my acid reflux. But I no longer have either..

It just seems to me so odd that you can be both...

Old 08-07-2003, 05:17 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
test

Old 08-07-2003, 05:19 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Iam hypo but think I may fluctuate sometimes. I can be calm some days and sleep really well, appetite under control, other days I feel hyper, could feel my heart beating and I get a ravenous appetite so it must be something to do with it.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #6
(female)

sgc123 HB User
I am actually both hypoT and hyperT. I just happen to have both Grave's disease and Hashimotos. I didn't know that it was possible either until I got my diagnosis. My levels had been fluctuating between hypo and hyper for years. I don't usually have both at the same time, they just flip flop. My doctor described it as each one battling for control of my thyroid. Sometimes one wins and sometimes the other one does. As for symptoms, I feel that both hypoT and hyperT are very similar. I lose hair when I am hyper and have a racing heart, but all the other symptoms mimic hypo. I hope this helps. I would definitely get some different tests so that you can figure out what is going on. The endo is much better than the GP for helping with thyroid problems.
J

Closed Thread