It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 12:49 PM   #1

Joonbug HB User
Question 90mg of Armour

Temp this am was 97.7 better than the usual 96 range.
I was on 60 mg of armour daily. We increased the dose this am.....Taking
30 mg at 7 am
30 mg at 12 noon and then* I was going to take 30 mg for dinner but I am in a quandry.

I feel like a zombie, my muscles feel weak...I can't get myself to do anything....all I want to do is lay down but...I don't feel like I can sleep. Typing this even my fingers feel sore....like arthritic or something. I have a headache. If I feel this way with just my usual dose then what about if I add the extra 30 at dinner time...yikes.
All I know is that I am having a bad day...waaah!

My question to anyone out there is...
1. should I take the 30mg a dinner tonight to continue out the plan of 90mg for the first time today? Or should I just stick to the 60mg since my body was used to it?

2. Does anyone out there take armour 90mg once a day (like in the morning) or do you spread it out to get the best results for your thyroid

3.I recently added kelp tablet and adrenal support tab to the regimen could this be causing me to crash and burn so to speak?

All I know is that it is a beautiful day outside. I have a beautiful life...a beautiful husband and I feel absolutely miserable and I wish I could help myself

Old 08-07-2003, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Hey Joonbug, Misery loves company, right. I don't remember how long you've been taking Armour? I do know you always need to split your dose, due to T3 having a half life of I think it was 8 hours. I think that means literally that you only have half the T3 that you took after 8 hours(right someone?). What made you decide to take kelp and when did you start it. I've read so much bad and good on it, but most things have said if you're already getting enough idodine( and most of us do),it can interfere with your thyroid output.

What I can tell you is everytime my symtoms started to come back after I started Armour, I increased and they got better. But this last week or so when they started in on me again, I was afraid to raise the meds because I am already on 180mg. My symptoms were so mixed between hypo and hyper that now I can't tell if I'm taking too much or too little (AUGH!). I was splitting my dose 3 times, but changed to two because even though I felt good, I was unable to go to sleep til 3 or 4:00 a.m. if I took the meds after 4:00pm or so. What adrenal supplement are you taking? Since you're still at a pretty low dose of Armour, it could just be your body asking for more. Only one way to find out. Since your body temp isn't over normal, you're probably not on too much. Sticking to the 60mg won't make you feel better if that's not what your body needs. I did notice the "arthritic" feeling in my hands, which was weird, but it's gone now. WE ARE A SCIENCE EXPERIMENT. Hope you feel better soon. HUGS IWL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 02:05 PM   #3

Joonbug HB User
Smile

I can always count on you IWL to make me feel better. I wish you didn't live so far away because I would have you over so we could get through the day together. You sound like a wonderful person. Thank you for caring enough to reply....some days on this medicine are killers! And it's people like you that are really needed to push me through days like today.

Well I guess I will take the final dose of 30 tonight at dinner and then I will only split it twice like you did tomorrow (instead of 3 times~ I have the sleep issue also) I am cutting out all of the other supplements at this time until I get this regulated. Someone had given me the idea that maybe I have adrenal exhaustion on top of a thyroid problem so I skipped down to the local complimentary medicine store a purchased some adrenal support and kelp.....I am a big dummy. My poor body. No more of that crap.

I am just trying to get my self regulated here....I have things to do, people to see....lol. Actually we are invited to this very hoity-toity dinner Saturday (I have nothing to wear and I look like an old goat from no sleep) and we pick up my stepdaughter (7 years old) for 2 solid weeks on Sunday...OMG thyroid don't fail me now!

I hope your day is going well. Keep in touch with me. I have to go make dinner now.

Thanks again for making me smile!

Old 08-07-2003, 02:21 PM   #4
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
You don't always need to split the dose. It depends on the individual. I'm on 120 mg or Armour and take it once a day, first thing in the morning. I have a friend who had her thyroid removed years ago and is on 240 mgs once a day. Some people feel that they do better on the split dose, but not everyone.

Old 08-07-2003, 02:28 PM   #5

Joonbug HB User
Redford~ thanks for the reply. How do you feel taking one dose daily. Do any symptoms return before next dose? Do you feel groggy after you take your medicine and then level off? Let me know. Thank you

Old 08-07-2003, 03:56 PM   #6
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
I started on 25 mcg Synthroid back in January, but was getting nowhere with my internist. I insisted on a referral to an Endo who upped me to 88 mcg Synthroid, but I was still crashing by 3 PM. He was content to get my TSH down to 3.8 by the end of May and didn't care about FT3 or FT4 and didn't want to see me for a year.

I went looking for someone who would work with me and found a terrific GP. She switched me to 120 mg of Armour and proceeded to do a whole bunch of tests. Seems like part of my fatigue was due to an Epstein-Barr virus flare up, something no one else had ever bothered to check. I'm finally feeling better (or was until I came down with a nice case of Bronchitis last week). I don't crash as hard in the afternoon. The doctor said that we will probably adjust my Armour next month. I think she's giving the EBV a chance to settle back down. I'm sure it's going to take time to get myself back to 'normal.' As close as I can tell, my thyroid really started going south at least 12 years ago. You would not believe what I went through with HRT and 2 different gynocologists. If only one of them had had the sense to check my thyroid levels. If only I had known then what I know now!

Old 08-07-2003, 08:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Joonbug, I'm sure you don't look like an old goat. They're usually harrier(sp?)than us hypos. The adrenal support is probably a good idea, but how do you know what's supposed to be in it? Remember 7 year olds can fetch and carry. Did you take the 3rd dose? Hugs IWL

Closed Thread