It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 07:59 PM   #1

doyle5 HB User
Question anyone else with this

I just read ********s entry from 1-5-2001
It was the one with the checklist of symptoms.

DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE TO YAWN TO GET A DEEP BREATH? I HAVE HAD THAT FOR 20 YEARS AND WAS TOLD IT WAS ANXIETY ATTACKS. RECENTLY MY DR. SENT ME FOR AN UPPER GI SERIES THINKING IT COULD BE ACID REFLUX. IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THIS PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW YOURS IS. MINE CAN LAST FOR DAYS. I USUALLY TAKE NYQUIL TO GET ME TO SLEEP. MY SON IS 17 AND HAS THE SAME DIFFICULY WITH BREATHING. I WONDER IF HE HAS HASHI'S TOO!

THANKS, ANNETTE

Old 08-07-2003, 09:21 PM   #2

Blaana HB User
I have had the following 3 things for the last month:
acid reflux, asthma, and panic attacks
The asthma was triggered by being exposed to latex for a long period of time, which I'm allergic to and then the acid reflux happened, and then the panic attacks because of not being able to breathe at times. Anyway, all 3 things seem to go together. My doctor put me on albuterol and protonix which is supposed to heal esophageal iritation. I am much better now and I'm hoping that all this will clear up for good soon. According to what I've read the protonix takes about 8 weeks to heal the injury to the esophagus caused by acid reflux or GERD or whatever it's called. I have written down some suggestions from a web site for what to do if you have GERD or acid reflux:
1. Don't overeat
2. Don't wear tight clothes
3. Eat small meals
4. Don't lie down for 2 or 3 hours after eating
5. Raise the head of your bed
6 Avoid: orange, grapefruit, tomato juice
fried or fatty foods
spicy foods
alcohol
coffee
chocolate
peppermint
onions

Is this what you were asking about? I didn't understand about the yawning.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 03:17 AM   #3
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by doyle5:
DOES ANYONE ELSE HAVE TO YAWN TO GET A DEEP BREATH? I HAVE HAD THAT FOR 20 YEARS AND WAS TOLD IT WAS ANXIETY ATTACKS. THANKS, ANNETTE
Annette, Yes, I have this! It is sometimes referred to as air hunger or SOB - shortness of breath. My recent bout was so severe I finally went to my doc. She did a pulmonary test and found out my lungs were constricted so that air wasn't getting in and out properly, which is what Asthma is. It is not uncommon for people with autoimmune disorders to develop this (you said you have Hash.?)I'm taking a pediatric dose (to start with to make sure it agrees with me) of singulaire to open my lung passages. She also prescribed an inhaler, but I will not use that yet.

I just wanted to assure you that this symptom is not always due to anxiety (not knowing what it is could be causing you anxiety, though). Also, years ago doctors also told me it was due to acid reflux, which I've never had! That seems to be a convenient "catch all" for anything occuring around the chest area! I think that symptom - feeling like you can't breathe properly - is the worst of all those I experience (frequently trying to yawn is classic) so I feel for you. A pulmonary function test is really needed for an accurate diagnosis and resolution. Also, visit the Asthma board where you will find many posters who have the same symptom.

Peregrine

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 08-08-2003).]

Closed Thread