It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 05:41 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking a mighty relapse ...

i have just had a HUGE relapse, beginning last week, with concomitant brain fog/stunned/sleepiness, exhaustion, so i've bumped up, starting last monday, to 100mcg from 74mcg, on which i thought i was stable, tho' not improving ...

i broke my hip mid-may, but i began to notice symptoms of relapse about mid-june ...

my next-to-last blood tests were april 22: TSH 0.58, free T3 3.9, free T4 11.1 (i lost the actual sheet -- DUH-- on which the lab ranges were printed)...

my last blood tests were mid-july, and since one of them takes about three weeks to do, my endo just got the results yesterday and i've called but not heard back ...

i'm HOT, bloated, unable to concentrate, exhausted (slept 'til 4:00 this afternoon), AND we're about to go to the beach tomorrow for a week (we've rented a cottage) ... i have no idea how we're going to do this because, oh yes, i'm the one with the just-laid-off husband with ADD (being treated w/ritalin, since we don't have straterra here) ...

i totally think it's stress related, but how can i go to a cottage when i can barely get out of bed!!! help!!

FAUGH!!!!! http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 08-08-2003, 06:01 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ginger9708 HB User
Hi,
I know how you feel. Two weeks ago I had reservations at a beachfront resort for 3 nights which turned into 4 nights at the last moment. I booked my trip a few months ago. Meanwhile I am thinking how am I possibly going to pull this off. I have an 11 year old and 1 year old baby. My husband was staying home. I go almost every year and couldnt see dissapointing my daughter. On the day we left I felt so horrible. On the way there (it was a 3 hour trip) I just didnt see how I was going to do it. Of course mornings are the absolute worst time for me and I have a horrible time until about a few hours later where I feel somewhat human. The first day was hard. I told myself I was going to eat well and just have fun. I wasnt going to push myself. I did eat more than I usually do but found it did help a bit in the way I felt so I went off my diet for a few days. I also took my vitamins also which helped a little. After the first day I did feel better but still with the breathlessness, tiredness, etc. I dont know what more to say but dont work yourself up too much worrying about it. If you dont feel well just take it easy. What I have always found with vacations is it always takes a few days to adjust and feel good. It can be done.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 07:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Jinglebts - Stop, take a deep breath. You're going to the beach for a week. That's good, not bad. Pick up a bunch of easy to fix food, take your sunscreen, your lounge chair and a big hat. When you lay around all day at the beach, it's called relaxing. When you do it at home, you're doing it instead of all the things you need to be doing. RELAX. Walk slowly down the beach. Drink lots of ice tea or lemonade. Be good to yourself. Bring headphones in case your husband hasn't adjusted to his meds yet. Have fun!!! Hugs, IWL

Old 08-08-2003, 11:18 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

mornings are worst for me too ...

thanks guys ...

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/cool.gif

Old 08-09-2003, 04:23 AM   #5
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Jinglebits,

You broke your hip in May and now you're going to the beach? That is great! I had always heard that broken hips took a very long time to mend. Did you have osteoporosis?

Peregrine

Old 08-09-2003, 09:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Talking

peregrine,

yes, it turned out that i did, from thyroid disease i think ... i'd had several BD tests in the past, going back 10 years or so, and had latterly been on calcitonin spray (nose, for about five years, and thought i was doing fine) ... but my BD plummetted at about the same time as i think i my thyroid was going south last fall ... i continued on calcitonin, as my BD tests had been so good that i'd failed to use it rigourously (it must be kept in the fridge while unopened, and i used to go, sometimes three or four days, w/o using it ... also, i'd hired a personal trainer for the summer, so i assumed that regular strength training would help) ...

i think my GP didn't pick up on the thyroid disease and he SHOULD have, because i was also having fairly serious bloating and was depressed ... this all began in the fall, and wasn't picked up until march, when a doctor who specializes in cfs (i've had that for years) did a fairly simple blood test ...

so now i'm on weekly actonal and doing fine ...

the broken hip per se heals fairly quickly, but because it's pinned together, they had to move my thigh muscle around, so i spent a week in bed in the hospital, another week at home in bed, and now am recovering and using a cane to hobble around, and the rehab is very painful -- charley horses like you wouldn't believe, pain in the other leg because it's had to take most of my weight ... but they get you out of bed and "walking" on day 3, and i have more exercises to do than i can possibly DO in a day ... i know i won't be fully functional until at least the end of september ...

probably more info than you needed or wanted, but there it is ...

sigh ...

jb

Closed Thread