It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2003, 01:24 PM   #1

burdhome HB User
Question tyroid problems?

hi
this is my first time posting on this site and I hope it works for some information. I have been having a hard time getting help from my doctor, but have switched and hoping for better results. last january I requested thyroid tests done because was showing many symtoms and have a family history. I have lost half my hair, gained 20 pounds in last year, have periods around every ten days.major fatigue. no energy what so ever, I have been telling my old doctor about these symtoms for the last several years with no results. I finally went and complained after I went elsewhere and payed for the tests at a lab myself. my results were TSH 6.2 range .5 to 5.5,F4 total RIA 7.0 range 4.6 to 12.0 and T3 uptake 28.7 range 25-37 , also FT4I (T7) 2.0 range 1.2-4.7. ok those are the results, now i went to a doctor last night and he said i appeared to maybe be subclinical thyroiditis but wanted more tests to see if it was hashimotos. I asked him to also do the antibody test and I was wondering what the name of that test is. also I informed him of the new ranges for tsh. at first he said I was just slightly above until I told him I have found that there are now new ranges. does my tsh seem just slightly elevated? does anyone know what is a good medication to request for these levels? I Have been trying for years to get the doctors to listen and am now just glad the tests are starting to show the problem. I have had tests in the past that the doctors said were normal but i have no idea what the results were. any info would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much

------------------
Bobbie Lee

[This message has been edited by burdhome (edited 08-08-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2003, 01:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
Welcome,
Your TSH is quite high, you should most likely be between 1 and 2. You do need a thyroid antibodies test done and you should have them check your T4 free and T3 free, these are the active thyroid hormones in your blood. If you have had symptoms for years with normal tests chances are you have Hashimoto's.

With a family history of thyroid problems you should have been checked better sooner, too bad the doctors didn't look into your complaints better.

I applaud you for standing up to your doctor and telling them the new ranges and for getting your own bloodwork done, its sad that sometimes we have to do it all ourselves to get results.

There is a lot of info on these boards and a lot of caring peopl, so visit often.

Also if you haven't already checked these posts out, look up "The informative archives" and "lets post our stories here" both were started by Tree Frog and have a lot of useful info and interesting stories.

Good luck to you.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:41 PM   #3

burdhome HB User
thanks so much for responding so quickly. the tests they have ordered today are the t4, another tsh, I think they are doing an antibody, thats why I was trying to find out what it is called, they are also doing a liver function, kidney funtion, cholesterol, and glucose and iron. it is amazing they are doing all of these since complaining. 8 months ago i couldnt even get a thyroid test lol. thanks again

Old 08-08-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
The most commonly ordered antibody tests when Hashimoto's is suspected are anti-thyroperoxidase (ATPO or TPO) and anti-thyroglobulin (ATG).

There aren't that many thyroid medications. There are the synthetic versions of T4 and T3, and the natural versions of the same ones, all under a few brand names and generic. Some doctors stick to Synthroid only, and won't prescribe anything else. Some also won't prescribe natural hormones either, even though some people can be better controlled using natural products. All of the reading I've done suggests to steer clear of generic meds; they just aren't that well-produced, and the name brands aren't very expensive, anyway.

Good for you for persevering! Too many people suffer for years because of neglectful doctors. Please let us know what happens!

Old 08-08-2003, 03:46 PM   #5

burdhome HB User
thanks so much, the other test they are doing is the TPO.

Old 08-09-2003, 09:23 PM   #6

burdhome HB User
Wink

also does anyone know, do they treat sub clinical different than hashimotos and how? I am just trying to get all the info i can before my new labs come in this next week.
thanks

Old 08-10-2003, 07:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
"Subclinical" isn't different from Hashi's; sub is usually caused by Hashi's. Sub simply means TSH is elevated, but the T's are in range. Not all -- probably most -- doctors won't treat sub at all, but hopefully that's changing. Here's a page from the American Family Physician's website that explains things. (BTW, in Meep's opinion, there's no such thing; either one is hypo or not, without the gray area of "subclinical" creeping into the equation.) ~ [url="http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/adlin.html"]http://www.aafp.org/afp/980215ap/adlin.html[/url]

Closed Thread