It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2003, 04:38 PM   #1

x3collx3 HB User
Question Eyelash loss

so i went to the dermatologist yesterday due to the fact that i have been experiencing eyelash loss and SOME eyebrow loss has anyone else experienced this? they gave me something to take but she suggested it might be a thryoid condition they took blood to check my TSH t4 t3 etc in the past my TSH was always out of wack but never the T3 or T4 i am a female and loosing my eyelashes is making me self concisous help please =) thanks everyone

the funny thing is my step-dad is a endocronolgist but i would rather not go to him, i can speak to him but i would rather go in and go for a vist and get more treatment

thanks everyone!

Old 08-07-2003, 05:10 PM   #2

aeello HB User
I have experienced hair loss, but mostly on my head, not a loss of lashes or anything. Check the post I left about swelling and take the advice on coconut oil. It may work. Its solved just about every problem I've had so far.

Alexis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2003, 06:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Yes, the loss of the outer third of the brows along with eyelash loss is very common with hypoT. Take the derm's advice and get that thyroid checked. If your TSH hasn't been right in the past, it's a good sign you have a problem. And if they tell you that you still don't have a thyroid problem, get another opinion.

Old 08-07-2003, 07:58 PM   #4

Blaana HB User
I lost most of my eyelashes and alot of my hair a few months after I started treatment for hypothyroidism. It was very disturbing. But, the eyelashes grew back and are longer now, and my hair and eyebrows grew back too. Another thing I noticed before treatment pertaining to hair was that I had almost stopped having to shave my legs. The hair on my legs was so thin that it was barely noticable.

Old 08-08-2003, 07:52 AM   #5

LK77 HB User
I too am having a terrible problem with eyelash loss and eyebrow loss. It is driving me crazy. I have been on meds now for about 4-1/2 to 5 months, but I don't seem to be seeing any improvement. I am worried that soon I will not have any eyelashes. How long does it take before they stop falling out and start growing back?

Old 08-08-2003, 08:06 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
LK,
Your problem reflects the fickle nature of this disease. There's no predicting what will happen in an individual person, or when.
My brows grew back within two months of beginning T4 replacement. Of course, when I lost them a few years ago, they were brown. The part that has grown back is mostly gray, so now I have two-tone eyebrows!
My lashes are still on the thin side, but then I never had really thick ones. When I feel in the mood to apply makeup - which is hardly ever - lash-building mascara is useful to make them look normal.

Old 08-08-2003, 10:55 AM   #7

Blaana HB User
LK77,
About 2 or 3 months after starting treatment is when mine started falling out and that lasted about 2 months. During that time I saw new hair growth too while the old was falling out. I think all this stuff is real individualized, but that is my experience.
I take synthroid and cytomel and started treatment Nov. 02.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #8

LK77 HB User
Thanks for the replys. I am currently on Synthroid .100 one day and .75 the next. I have been doing this dose for about 2 weeks now. I sure hope this all balances out soon and I will quit losing by lashes and brows. It is really hard for me because I have always had long thick lashes. Do you think that my body is lacking something that could be contributing to the loss?

Old 08-08-2003, 12:21 PM   #9

Blaana HB User
I don't know for sure. But I know that protein is important for us and the cells need protein to process the thyroid hormones, and hair is made of protein. The first few months after I started treatment I took a folic acid B12 supplement and a supplement called chezyn which contains zinc, iron and copper. I don't know if that had anything to do with my hair growing back so fast or not. I read somewhere once that people with a prolonged deficiency in thyroid hormone often are deficient in vitamin b12. I don't know if that's true or not though, but the b vitamins are water soluable which means that you don't have to worry about taking them if you don't need them because the body takes what it needs and the rest is flushed through your kidneys. That's what I learned in school a long time ago, I hope it's still true. That is, of course, if the supplement doesn't have anything else in it that is not water soluable.
Another thing I took right at first was maca which is something people on this board recommended. It really helped me with the low energy thing. I quit taking it though when I started the other 2.

Also, during the time that my hair was falling out I would comb my hair while I was in the shower and pull on it a little to try and get all that was going to come out that day to go ahead and come out in the shower, because I couldn't stand getting hair on everything, like my clothes, the car and everywhere I sat. I figured what was going to come out was going to come out no matter what so might as well get it over with.

Old 08-08-2003, 01:04 PM   #10

LK77 HB User
Thanks again Blaana. I do take a multivitamin every day, but maybe I should try an additional B12 supplement. I will also try to focus a little more on my eating and make sure I am getting enough protein. I actually eat really healthy so paying a little closer attention shouldn't be a problem. I suppose if all else fails, I could go and see my doctor, however he told me he didn't think my problem was thyroid related? Everything I have read says that it is a symptom of it.

Old 08-10-2003, 10:29 AM   #11

x3collx3 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by midwest1:
Yes, the loss of the outer third of the brows along with eyelash loss is very common with hypoT. Take the derm's advice and get that thyroid checked. If your TSH hasn't been right in the past, it's a good sign you have a problem. And if they tell you that you still don't have a thyroid problem, get another opinion.
thanks yea they didn't call with my results yet if they don't in 3 more days i will make a call

Old 08-10-2003, 10:30 AM   #12

x3collx3 HB User
it makes me feel so nice to know that i am not alone! its def something that makes me self-concisous

Old 08-10-2003, 07:56 PM   #13

LK77 HB User
You and me both. Hopefully it will get better soon for all of us.

Old 08-11-2003, 11:40 AM   #14
Inactive

crazyabout blue HB User

I want to add a comment.. I havent been diagnosed for HypoT, which i will find out today. I know i have almost all the symptoms of HypoT.. And im not on med yet.. I noticed lately that my hair is falling off a lot from my head! My eyelashes has been fallin off too.. :{
And my leg is hairy, but i just noticed that they are thin too.

I have a question to u all.. do u have excess facial hair??? cuz i am like a monkey!! :-o I got hairs on my chest and stomach..

Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 AM   #15

Carae113 HB User
Re: Eyelash loss

what medicine did they give you?

Closed Thread