It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2003, 11:04 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Post surgery last week- is my neck normal?

you'd think 6 days after surgery my swollen neck would go down and be less annoying, but its just not. I had a partial thyroidectomy last Tuesday and my neck was swollen, and still is. Thats normal, but is that fact that its all hard is? And its getting more painful. I never took anything until today for pain- just tylenol. I am going to see the doctor tomorrow, but what was your recovery like?

Old 08-11-2003, 05:42 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
I guess my neck was really bad the first day after surgery, but I didn't notice it, but my husband told me it was really swollen. After 6 days though, my neck looked normal, the scar was just raised and red. I don't think it's normal for it to be looking worse. Talk to the Dr, you may have an infection. Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 06:03 AM   #3

yecats7 HB User
Hi!

I had a partial in May 2003, and they took the rest on July 21/2003. My neck was quite swollen for awhile over my incision, I noticed it being raised for quite awhile afterwards. It did slowly go down, I believe it was the development of scar tissue which is quite normal. The inflammation/raising was worse after my first surgery. This time around the incision is still more tender to touch, I have more mild pain this go around 3 weeks after surger, perhaps because it was a bigger surgery an they had tto go through the initial incision site/through some of the scar tissue.

The pain you are talking about could be simply the "pain in the neck" from holding it so awkwardly. The only relief I got from this (it tapered off after a week but only when I did these things) was sitting elevated whenever possible w/ pillows. I used a heating pad on the BACK of my neck, I would use pressure massage on the sore part of my neck (ie jam my finger into the sore sport and hold it for 30 sec which would offer relief - the pain was at the back,,,not the incision site. The incision pain I am feeling is more like a cut and just feels a bit uncomfortable if I touch it, or when I put vitamin E on it to reduce the amount of scarring. I don't need anything for that, but the stiff neck was rough.
Hope that helps! (My stiff neck was completely gone 1.5 weeks after surgery, but only after I started doing these things - I'd also get my husband to do the pressure massages for me, not rubbing as it pulled on the incision, just apply pressure to the knots.

Yecats

Old 08-11-2003, 10:52 AM   #4
(female)

brookeysma HB User
I am almost at the 3 week post thyroidectomy mark and my neck is still a little swollen ( I can tell because my trachea is a lot bigger to the touch than it used to be). It is also still a little puffy above and below the scar. Not to sound gross but is it oozing or really red around your scar? If so, than this may definately be infection...My neck did really ache all over for about 8 days. I agree that I think it is because you have to hold your neck in an awkward position.

If it is really concerning you, Call your Doctor...That is what they get paid for...don't forget that! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

bluesnowflake HB User
Unhappy

I went to emergency this morning, as I could hardly move...not only was my neck killing me, my head, ears and body ached so much I could hardly walk. Lucky for me, my sagittarius luck came in handy and when I walked in there was about 20 people ahead of me. But I was called first http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/dance.gif and the doctor saw me right away. I have a throat infection, which I had just before the surgery as well. SO I am taking lots of medication. We figured the reason it hurt so much was because my glands are swollen, so they were putting pressure on my incision area. Which makes perfect sense! I am glad there was nothing horribly wrong with it, thanks for your replies!! (I think the one finger jab into the sore spot is getting worn out- but I will try the heating pad!)

Closed Thread