It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

rubydoo63 HB User
Question Confused About Soy

Hi All:

Soy: Good or Bad for people with Hypothyroidism and Hashimotos? I currently take 100mcg Levoxyl, and was under the assumption that people with thyroid problems should try to limit the soy in their diet....but I read in The Thryoid Solution that she recommends a diet with soy in it.

Help....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 AM   #2
(female)

rubydoo63 HB User
bumping up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 08:45 AM   #3

kael HB User
Hi Ruby-

I have the same question! For months this past year I used a soy supplement in my morning protein shake thinking I was doing great things for my perimenopause symptoms. (after reading "the wisdom of menopause" by Christianne Northrup) Well, it seems my TSH went from 1.18 in December to 9.85 in July - and I'm very sick on top of it. Was it the soy? I don't know - but I am confused about it like you are. Maybe someone here can help us understand better!!

Thanks for your post!
Hugs,
Kael

------------------
Practice Compassion...Heal The World

Old 08-11-2003, 01:22 PM   #4
(female)

rubydoo63 HB User
bump up.....thanks!

Old 08-11-2003, 02:43 PM   #5
Inactive

girlygirly HB User
I read on this site how we should stay away from soy, so I decided on my own to do a search on the internet to find out why. Perhaps you may want to do a search "is so bad for you" and see what you come up with. I came up with plently, I will NEVER let a drop of soy knowingly pass my lips, EVER!!!!!There are several excellent sites out there that will give you the scoop. Weston A. Price was a dentist who studied the nutrition of people around the world to see what diet people with healthy teeth had. It is an interesting read, his site also has extensive info on soy and other controversial subjects.

I ate alot of soy before being diagnosed as hypothyroid. Did it cause my thyroid problems? I will never know 100%, but in my heart I do think that it aggravated my thyroid, when I started consuming soy was when many of my problems started (goiter, inability to lose weight). Good luck, fill us in on what you think of soy after researching.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:42 PM   #6

luke1 HB User
In June of this year my hypothyroid symptoms really got bad. My GP increased my meds and when I first began the new dosage I actually felt worse. I couldn’t imagine what could have caused my symptoms to become so severe. I tried an elimination diet and I suspected the cause was in the vitamins/supplements I take. At this point I am taking all my old supplements and I am feeling better each day. Until I read this post I was clueless as to the cause, but after reading GirlyGirlys’ reply I realized the only thing I haven’t started using again was the soy products. As she suggested I went to the Weston A Price Foundation site and found case study, Leslie Blumenberg, that paralleled my own. In May, thinking I was improving my health, I increased my intake of soy products, soy nut butter, soy milk, soy nuts, protein mix, and more. I am fairly certain that my use of soy products aggravated my hypothyroidism. I have removed all soy products. Thank you, GirlyGirly.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:52 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Don't forget that fluoride in our drinking water and toothpaste also inhibits the thyroid. I drink only water purified by reverse osmosis and I use fluoride-free toothpaste. Since we also absorb fluoride through the skin, we also just got a shower filter that removes 99% of all chlorine, lead and fluoride. Did you know that years ago, fluoride was used to treat HYPERTHYROIDISM?

Marilyn

Old 08-11-2003, 07:16 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Meep HB UserMeep HB UserMeep HB User
When Dr. Arem wrote The Thyroid Solution (it was published in 1999 and obviosuly written before then) he hadn't read much of the infohrmation on Soy that we know today. Consider that part of the book to be outdated.

I have read thebook a few times,andcan comfortably say that besides his reliance on synthetic meds only (which is not true in his current practice) that the info on soy is the only thing in his book I disagree with.

I am not a doctor, nor have I ever played one on TV...

Old 08-11-2003, 07:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Speaking of soy...I just bought a new Aveeno face cleanser and it has soy...is this OK?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-11-2003, 08:21 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Hmmmm, I was using Aveeno lotion, didn't know it had soy in it. Since your skin absorbs stuff like progesterone cream and other things, it probably absorbs the soy. Wonder how much is in there? IWL

Old 08-11-2003, 09:34 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
I don't think the cleanser would absorb like lotion since it's rinsed off....you know?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Closed Thread