It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2003, 08:51 PM   #1

kael HB User
Post Does anyone have swelling feet/calves?

Over the last two weeks as I've felt so cruddy, my feet and calves have started to retain water by the end of the day. This is totally not normal for me. Does anyone else hypo (or even hyper) experience this when their levels are too low? This has only happened to me in the past when I was pregnant.

Thanks!

kael

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 09:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Talking

YES! YES, YES, YES!!!!

my feet look like footballs, my ankles like tree trunks, and i used to have really good legs ... i'm not talking princess di good, but next to her ...

i'm hypo, dx'd in march, and i wish that i'd been dx'd six months earlier -- by the time it occurred to them to do some bloodwork, i thought i was having a nervous b'down ...

my TSH was 3.9, which is, by the way, in the so-called "normal" range (normal is 0.5 to 5.0), and i ws so hypothyroid i thought i'd die ...

so have a TSH and AT LEAST a free T4 done, quite soon ... other symptoms are sensitivity to cold/heat, aching legs and joints, depression, major brain fog/sleepiness, gravelly voice ...

jb

[This message has been edited by jinglebts (edited 08-05-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2003, 09:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Oh yeah. I wear jeans and walking shoes 99% of the time, so I don't usually notice how my legs and ankles look. Last fall, before I was diagnosed, I was a guest at a wedding reception, all gussied up in a dress and high heels. There was a mirrored wall at the reception hall, and when I caught a glimpse in it of my ankles and insteps, I didn't recognize them as my own. Thought they belonged to the person next to me. My feet looked like they were hanging over the sides of my shoes, and they had never been like that before -- not even when I was pregnant!

Old 08-05-2003, 09:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

jinglebts HB Userjinglebts HB User
Wink

midwest1,

i'm surprised they fit into your all-gussied-up shoes ...

Old 08-05-2003, 10:05 PM   #5

kael HB User
Wink

Thank you ladies - and now tell me that when your levels got back to normal your ankles did too!?!?!

I've had alot of other problems (physical) over the last 4 months with muscle cramps and tons of twitching - I was hoping this didn't mean that my nerves were dead and my legs didn't work anymore or that my kidneys were malfunctioning!

I'm so relieved to hear you had the same problem. (though sorry for you that it happened!)

Are they cleared up now??

Thanks Again,
Kael

Old 08-05-2003, 10:34 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Talking

Gee, I don't know if they're back to normal... I haven't been gussied up since then.

Seriously, if the swelling is related to the hypo condition, it should be relieved with proper treatment.
I had terrible cramping in my lower legs and feet, and that's pretty much in the past now.

Old 08-05-2003, 10:36 PM   #7
(female)

momidawn HB User
I am so happy to see this post!! I have been having this problem as well, and have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out why I am swelling up like this! I have suspected it might be my thyroid meds, but my doc says it's just the extra weight I'm carrying around.

Has anyone found a resolution to the swelling?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-06-2003, 12:01 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...........I've had this problem since the 80's, about the time I went hypothyroid and didn't realize it until I hit bottom in 1993. When I get up in the morning, legs and feet are skinny, after I'm up for awhile, they start to swell and lose their shape. I'm hyperthyroid now, and they still swell up...I can feel it just sitting here at the computer.

Marilyn

Old 08-06-2003, 12:49 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
My legs and feet were very swollen for a couple of years. All of my puffiness and swelling has went away since I started Armour last month. I have ankle bones now. I also started a lot of vitamins, minerals, pregnonolone, coenzyme Q-10 and progesterone cream, so don't really know what did the trick. Good luck. IWL

Old 08-06-2003, 04:23 AM   #10

daldre1269 HB User
I've had horrible swelling also... and the only other time I had it was when I was pregnant also. The armour has relieved it for the most part but I do still have alittle pitting in my lower legs.... yuck.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:51 AM   #11

donna2.75 HB User
Jinglebets,

This is Donna, I was reading your reply and saw that your TSH was 3.9. You said you were very hypoT and I was wondering how you found that out? Did they do a Free T4 and if so, what was it?

I think I am hypo and my TSH has gone from 1.69 to 2.75 over year and my Free T4 went from .99 to .74 over a year with the range of normal being .77 - 1.89.

Thanks for letting me know.

Old 08-06-2003, 06:54 AM   #12
(female)

Redford Phyl HB User
I've had the same foot and calf swelling. It seems to be doing better since I've been on Armour, but I have one little quirk that hasn't changed. I've worn thong sandals for years, and I can't wear them this summer. The strap seems to hit a nerve where my big toe attaches to my foot, and when it hits that nerve, it feels like my big toe is splitting right up the middle. It's the oddest thing I've ever felt. It's only my left foot, not my right.

[This message has been edited by Redford Phyl (edited 08-06-2003).]

Old 08-06-2003, 07:29 AM   #13
(male)

etIII HB User
Cool

Interesting, I've got the same thing now, with pain and difficulty in standing. A Dr. who wrote a good article on this, mentioned that if it is "pitting", then it is 'Water-retention'. If it is non-pitting, then it is 'Edema'. To my understanding, if it stays poked in like the Pilsbury Dough Boy, then it's 'Water-retention'. I'm male so I'm not used to water-retention and I'm thin.

Old 08-06-2003, 09:30 AM   #14
Inactive

roni624 HB User
Wow..I thought I was losing my mind. I was diagnosed in June and I am just starting to experience swelling on my feet and calves. Is this a symptom of hypo also? I never knew HYPOthyroid had so many symptoms. Is this where the word HYPOchondria came from? I sure do feel like a hypochondriac now. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bigcry.gif-Roni

Old 08-06-2003, 10:42 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Roni, we all need to remember that just because hypo can cause a symptom, doesn't mean it always cause it. That's a common mistake we often make.

Anyway, I found a great explanation of how hypo can cause swelling:
"The puffiness is caused by too little thyroid hormone suppression of connective tissue cells called "fibroblasts." When thyroid hormone fails to suppress the cells normally, they release too many water-binding molecules into the ground substance of the skin and other connective tissues. These water-binding molecules are a complex of protein and sugar. Researchers used to call them "mucopolysaccharides," but most of us now call them "glycosaminoglycans." The excess number of the molecules holds too much water in the connective tissues. The excess water expands the tissues, causing them to feel and appear puffy.

Skin and underlying tissues that are myxedematous do not "pit" when pressed into with a finger. If the tissue "pits," the swelling is more likely caused by fluid retention from another source."

Isn't that interesting?

Closed Thread