It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 01:58 PM   #1

burdhome HB User
Question triglycerides and the thyroid

hi, I just got my tests for triglycerides and they are high at 231. my doctor ordered the tests because my tsh was at 6.2. does anyone know the correlation of these two to thyroid problems. any info would be much appreciated. I am still waiting for my t4 and antibody test results.thanks so much

Old 08-11-2003, 02:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
All I know is that you can have high cholesterol if you have an underactive thyroid - like you do. I read this in my thyroid books, all written by doctors. Your cholesterol should improve as that TSH goes down. You want the TSH to be between .30 - 3.00 (females want it as close to 1.00 as possible)

Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 05:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
All of the references I have found about the connection between cholesterol and low thyroid function point to elevation of total chol and LDL chol... not so much toward high trig's. High trigs most often come from excess carbohydrates in the diet; but since hypo's don't process carbs in an efficient way, perhaps that alone would elevate the trigs.

Old 08-11-2003, 09:46 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
To be a little more specific, high triglycerides are usually caused by eating too much SUGAR!! Sweets, cookies, donuts, cake, ice cream, pop, etc..etc..etc...

Marilyn

Old 08-11-2003, 10:00 PM   #5

burdhome HB User
yes they usually are and that is what concerns me, I do not eat any kind of junk food at all. no cookies, cake, candy or anything fried i usually eat a fairly healthy diet mostly consisting of alot of salads, chicken a little fruit pretty much thats about it. thankfully i do not have a sweet tooth at all. i drink iced tea mostly, and water. i do drink a cup of coffee in the morning but thats about it. since i have been having symptoms of hypo, i have been eating a very healthy diet hoping i wont gain anymore weight but it just keeps adding on no matter what i eat.i have lost half my hair, skin is dry and scaly, am extremly fatigued, very bad muscle aches. i have had two tsh tests in the last week, one in the evening at 6.2 the other in the morning at 3.45. am waiting for results from antibody test. last years physical had perfect cholesterol, and triglycerides now they are both high. was just trying to get info. thanks

Old 08-11-2003, 11:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Iwannalife HB User
Burdhome, I've researched the triglyceride question because mine came back at 348! Also my good cholesterol is low(30), but my bad(LDL) is also low(68). I am definitely not a big sweets eater and have gained about 40 pounds in the last 3 years. When they told me I had too much "fat in my bloodstream", well duh. I will admit to liking salty fat food and always had to work out to keep the potatoe chips off my hips. Excercising became a non-option for me when my meds stopped working. The big challenge of the day was taking a shower. The articles I read talked about a higher total cholesterol, which is a combination of your LDL,HDL and triglicerides. Doesn't really matter why it's high, it's still bad for you on a long term basis. It will come down when they get your thyroid under control, so will your weight. Good luck. IWL

Old 08-12-2003, 12:08 AM   #7

burdhome HB User
Wink

thanks so much for the support! it really helps to know i am not the only one with this problem

Old 08-12-2003, 08:07 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
White flour is also a cause of high trigs. It converts readily to sugar upon digestion.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 08-12-2003, 09:51 AM   #9

burdhome HB User
I only eat whole grain breads, when i eat them at all. I try to stay away from that stuff as it is very fattening. I am 5'3 and weigh 123 lbs. one year ago I weighed 105, the same all my life. than all of a sudden I just started gainging no matter what I did. I exercise frequently (except this last week as I have been feeling awful from fatigue.) ride my bike, walk on treadmill ect. I asked my mother if she also had high triglycerides and she said she did before treatment for hashi's, after taking meds for awhile, they went down.

Closed Thread