It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2003, 01:36 PM   #1
Inactive

winter_witch HB User
Post Thyroid, low iron & high cholesterol links???

Greetings all,

I apologise at the start if I sound a bit confused and if I don't make any sense. My head is spinning right now.

I have had thyroid problems since I was very young. 10 or 11. I am 25 now. I don't know if I am hyper or hypo thyroid. I have always been on Synthroid and they told me that I have Hashimoto's disease. I've been on Synthroid ever since I was first diagnosed years back.

I was always very thin growing up. I am always cold and tired. I used to have super metabolism and couldn't gain any weight. Now, I look at food and pile on 15 pounds. A few years ago, my 2nd doctor took it upon himself to decide that I needed to put on weight. He changed my medication levels (dosage) so that it would affect my thyroid and I would put on weight. I did not know he was doing this at the time. I put on 30 pounds over the course of only a few months. I have not been able to lose this weight either.

Ever since he did this, and I would say he did this 3-4 years ago, my thyroid levels have been messed up.

Everytime I go to the doctor now and get blood work, they always tell me the results are that my levels are messed up. They always get very angry with me and accuse me of not taking my medication. I can assure you that I take my Synthroid pill ever morning. It hurts me when they accuse me of not taking the pills.

Every time I go and get the results back, they say the levels are messed up and they change my dosage of Synthroid. This has been happening every 3-6 months for YEARS now. I go for bloodwork every 3-6 months and every single time I go they change my medication.

I just got bloodwork taken the other day, once again they told me my levels are messed up and they need to do a full panel test of my blood so I need to go back in and get more blood taken. They only tested my TSL? (TSH? - I'm sorry I don't know what it is called) last time.

The previous time I had bloodwork done was in March. Then, my levels were messed up and also they told me my cholesterol was high and my iron was low. They never told me what to do about this though. I took it upon myself to take 1 160mg Slo-Fe tablet a day for the iron problem and I drastically changed my diet. All on my own mind you.

This time, they told me that my cholesterol was HIGHER than it was in March (I don't see how this is possible considering I've cut out pizzas and cheeses and burgers and junk and am eating lots of vegitables and rices and grains). They also told me that my iron level is still low. I'm eating better and healthier than I EVER have in my life.

How is it that my cholestrol is HIGHER and my iron is still low???

Why is my thyroid messed up every single time I get tested???

Is there any connection between any of these things???

I am 25 and I have been with my boyfriend for 6 years now. I am sexually active. He has been my only sexual partner ever. I am on Ortho-Tricycline and we use a condom each and every time we have sex so I am most certainly NOT PREGNANT.

Can anyone help me at all? I am sitting here on the verge of tears. I just want my body to be ok already.

Thanks.

P.S. Sorry this was so long. Thanks for reading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2003, 02:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Don't cry... ... Let's try to sort this out.

First of all, your high cholesterol and low iron may indeed be caused by uncontrolled hypothyroidism. (Most people don't know that high LDL cholesterol's second leading cause is hypoT, poor diet being the first.)

Secondly, both iron and BC pills are known to interfere with thyroid hormone absorption. Is it possible you are taking them all together... or within a short time of each other? Your thyroid med should be taken on an empty stomach, at least an hour before eating anything, and at least 4 hours from the iron or BC... But it's really best to take the thyroid in the a.m. and the others at night.

If your thyroid med isn't being properly absorbed, that would help explain your fluctuating levels.

[This message has been edited by midwest1 (edited 07-31-2003).]

Old 07-31-2003, 02:40 PM   #3
(female)

sunny3 HB User
Dear One,
Your doctor sounds like he is not a healthy match for you. He doesn't sound like he has your best interest at heart. Is there anyway that you can ask around and then discover who is a more user-friendly doc in your area?
I am impressed with how very well you have been amanaging with the way this doc seems to be playing with your hormones. My best thoughts go out to you. Soon there will be someone along who will be able to give you specific pointers. It sure sounds like a more wholistic doctor or nurse practicioner is who you need on your professional team, and plan to dump this "clown" ASAP.

Sunny

Old 07-31-2003, 03:03 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
They are not treating your thyroid, they are chasing it around in circles. If they do not check anything other than TSH they are making a big mistake, if they ever check the T4 free and T3 free they are obviously not looking at them close enough.
If I were you I would get a different doc, make sure that your T4 free and T3 free are checked as well as TSH, always ask for copies of any blood work you have done. T4 free and T3 free are the tests that you want to base your treatment on.
You need to get your thyroid under control, high cholesterol is a result of an uncontrolled thyroid, the low iron is also most likely a result of your uncontrolled thyroid. Until you get the thyroid under control the other things will not be.
Also you mentioned being on Synthroid since you were diagnosed, not all brands of meds work for everyone, you may even need a brand change.

Fire that doc, get a new one fast. You are too young to feel so bad.

Keep us posted, we are all here to lend an ear and give support and if you get new bloodwork done post the results here with the lab ranges as well and there are a lot of people here that will help you understand them.

Good luck to you.

Old 07-31-2003, 03:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB UserssMarilyn HB User
Being cold all the time and easily gaining weight are certainly symptoms of hypothyroidism. Being hypo also contributes to high cholesterol.

Marilyn

Old 08-06-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
Inactive

winter_witch HB User
Thank you so much everyone

midwest1, my doctor did say that the cholesterol & iron could be related to my thyroid. It's stilly that she is the one who put me on both the BC pills & iron pills but never realized that they could be affecting things.

I take mt thyroid pill when I wake up in the morning
about 2 hours before I eat breakfast. I take my iron pill at dinner time with a glass of OJ (I read that vitamin c can help your body absorb iron). I take my BC pills at 11 every night.

sunny3, thank you
Some times I'm so depressed and other times almost manic-ly happy. It's been a roller coaster ride that's for sure.
But I did speak to a person (my bosses friend) who has a wide knowledge of doctors. He refers laywers to doctors for cases. He refered me to his friend who is a cartiologist. I went to him on Friday. He checked out my heart and said to forget about the cholesterol for now. He referred me to his friend who is an Endocryineologist who specializes in Thyroid. I am going to see him on the 13th.

dea4, Yup. I've been on Synthroid the entire time. Maybe my thyroid is functioning in a different way and I need a different medication.
It's exciting to know that there are people here who can help me interpret my test results

ssMarilyn, It's all starting to make sense now.

So after the 13th I'll hopefully have a better idea of what is going on with my body.

Thank you everyone again, from the bottom of my heart

Old 08-06-2003, 11:09 PM   #7

hyzenthlay HB User
you need a new doctor! that's awful!

my mom used to be hyperthyroid when she was young but too much treatment destroyed her thyroid so now she's hypo. perhaps that happened to you. i also have hashimoto's which causes hypothyroidism.

the only thing you need to do is immediately get a new doctor.

Old 08-07-2003, 08:21 AM   #8

Joonbug HB User
winter....I am very glad that you are going to an endocrinologist. This is the person that should straighten this whole matter out. This is the type of doctor that should have been managing your illness since you were a child. So you can't go back and change what has already been done so...

Move forward....Make sure you are armed with all of the information for this physician...ie type of medication you are on....dosage....how long you've been taking it...your symptoms now...a list of supplements and type of BC you are taking and if possible a copy of your last thyroid bloodwork results. I think he will want to know why you are coming to him....make sure you are honest and tell him that you were managed by this doctor for a number of years and over the past couple of months you haven't felt well..(tell him your symptoms)...and that your bloodwork has reflected that the meds aren't working to your liking. I would tell him that you had all the confidence in your previous physician but saw little improvement in your condition after months of med adjustments.

I wish you all the best. It is not easy going through this...take it day by day. I believe this endocrinologist is a "good thing" (as Martha Stewart would say...hehehe) Keep us posted on the situations or if you need to just talk.

xoxxo

Old 08-13-2003, 01:52 PM   #9
Inactive

winter_witch HB User
Ok. I had my appointment with the Endocryinologist this morning. He did an ultrasound of my thyroid and said that I have cysts on both sides of the glad but i guess that's ok because all he did was say, "yep. you have hyroid disease."

he also took blood. i will know the results next tuesday. at that time i will be getting a new perscription for thyroxine. i won't know the dosage until then.

this doctor doesn't prescribe synthroid. i'm a little worried because i took a generic form of synthroid once and it made me quite sick. will i get sick from this brand?

i don't feel very releved. i guess the new dosage will start to make changes but that's all my doctor was doing anyway. changing my dosage. i guess this doctor will watch my levels over the next months but i don't feel too confident yet.

Closed Thread