It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2003, 10:43 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lovemythreeguys2002 HB User
Post Should I push for an ultrasound?

I was Dxed with Hashis/Hypo and told my thyroid was enlarged...with no nodules, he just did a manual exam. Off and on in the last year, I would feel like I had a sore throat and difficulty swallowing at times.

6 weeks ago, my TSH was 0.88, and my free T4 was 1.4...but he said my thyroid was still enlarged. It still hurts from time to time, and sometimes I feel like the pain radiates off to the side by my collarbone...and he says that is not related....sigh...

Anyways.....I am starting to wonder if I should push for an ultrasound...he said I didn't need one since he felt no nodules....any thoughts?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-12-2003, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Aimee8396 HB User
A nodule would have to be pretty large for him to feel it based on palpating. If you're feeling like something is wrong, push him for an ultrasound. There are no risks associated with one, so go for it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2003, 11:30 AM   #3

julied HB User
I think I would request an ultrasound. I, too, was found to have a small cyst that was not detected during the physical exam. Nodules and cysts are often byproducts of the autoimmune process- Hashi's. Good Luck.

Old 08-12-2003, 12:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I am going to be finding a new dr soon...in the meantime, this dr is not the most co-operative...so would be a good thing for me to say that would change his mind and order me an ultrasound?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-12-2003, 04:39 PM   #5

julied HB User
I actually asked my OBGYN to order the ultrasound given the fact that I am pregnant. She did not hesitate and had no problem with it at all. My family Dr. was not as receptive but it was somewhat vindicating when the results came back and showed the cyst. Now I continue on the quest to obtain meds. and proper treatment following my delivery next week. I had to order my thyroid antibody test privately due to Dr. saying all results had been normal, etc. Antibodies were elevated showing Hashi's. It seems almost unbelievable that one has to battle with medical professionals in order to get appropriate care and basically take matters into your own hands. This is all new to me but it still is such a surpise to me. Curious, too, how you and your Dr. decided on appropriate meds. to address Hashi's. My labs continue to be in range but I am so symptomatic. Family Dr. mentiond possibility of suppressing the gland, etc. Your insight would be really helpful given your own experiences.

Old 08-12-2003, 07:21 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Julie...what are your levels? I was Dxed with a TSH of 3.56, anti-bodies, lots of symptoms and an enlarged thyroid.

He started me on 50 mcg's of Synthroid and checked me 6 weeks later, my TSH dropped to 0.88 and he said that was a good level and to keep my meds at the same dose and I will be checked again in 6 months.

Congrats on the baby..is this your first?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-12-2003, 07:23 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Julie...what are your levels? I was Dxed with a TSH of 3.56, anti-bodies, lots of symptoms and an enlarged thyroid.

He started me on 50 mcg's of Synthroid and checked me 6 weeks later, my TSH dropped to 0.88 and he said that was a good level and to keep my meds at the same dose and I will be checked again in 6 months.

Congrats on the baby..is this your first?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-12-2003, 07:25 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Question...if they do find something...what does that mean, that I have to have my thyroid removed?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-13-2003, 03:20 AM   #9
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by lovemythreeguys2002:
Question...if they do find something...what does that mean, that I have to have my thyroid removed?

I know this is easier said than done, but I would try not to worry prematurely. If you have a nodule, depending on its size and your symptoms, you may then be ordered an ultra sound. After that, the determination will be made as to whether it should be aspirated to see if the nodule is what is called "cold". If it is "cold" than they will do further tests to make sure that it is benign (non-cancerous). If it is benign than you will have it checked every year (usually by palpating). If it is other than benign, than you may have to have it removed. Thyroid Cancer is one of the more easily treatable forms of Cancer. But one step at a time. Right?

All the Best!

peregrine

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 08-13-2003).]

Old 08-13-2003, 04:14 AM   #10

julied HB User
Thanks for your reply. It seems that my TSH fluctuates. Most recently it was 1.15. It is tough because of the pregnancy to understand what is really going on although I had symptoms prior. This is my 3rd baby and my thyroid issues started post-partum after baby #2. Basically was discounted by Dr. as post partum depression, anxiety, etc. Very frustrating. My free T-4 was recently on the very low end of normal. I have the antibodies and the cyst so suspect Hashi's. It seems that in terms of the ultrasound that there are various approaches if a nodule or cyst is found. Seeing that I had a small cyst it was suggested to possibly try the TSH suppression. I guess I am considering this approach in order to receive medication. Hopefully will relieve some symptoms. One of my chief complaints is muscle and joint pain along with the "typical" others.

Old 08-13-2003, 07:55 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Julie...muscle and joint pain are the most common with me too...so with anti-bodies, they still won't diagnose you? Is that because your TSH is normal? What is the highest it's been before? Your Free T4 reading says a lot too...most feel better with it in the upper 1/3 of the range.

I recently read that most pregnant women will have a low TSH and that it rises later, hopefully yours will rise high enough that a dr will start you on meds

It might be time to find a new dr...have you ever looked on the "Good Dr" list to see if there is one near you?

------------------
Hashimoto's~Hypo
50 mcg's of Synthroid
DX'd in May 2003

Old 08-13-2003, 03:39 PM   #12

julied HB User
Your insight really is helpful to me. The highest that my TSH has been is 1.9 so it has not been particularly high. I have found one of the top docs on the list and have requested paperwork. It will be a 3 hour drive but well worth the trip. My family doctor did not seem very familiar at all with thyroid issues and the possibility of symptoms with antibodies. I think that she will prescribe meds. due to the cyst and her idea of suppressing the thyroid. Hope that this might help with symptoms but still plan to see the top doc who will likely have more impact on me and my issues. I have never had muscle and joint pain to this extent and know that it is related to my thyroid. I hope that it will go away with meds seeing that it is really difficult for me to do the activities I used to enjoy.

Closed Thread