It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Thyroid Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2003, 02:24 PM   #1

~Stephanie~ HB User
Question Flaxseed and Hashi's.....

Hello all!

I've been reading about all the health benefits of eating flaxseed and I'm interesting in trying it out. My concern is that one of the benefits of flaxseed is (supposedly) to help promote thyroid function. Normally, that'd be a good thing if you just have a sluggish thyroid, but due to my Hashimoto's and the fact that I'm on medication (Synthroid) to suppress my throid so my antibody attacks aren't as frequent and intense....I'm thinking maybe I don't want to take anything that will make my thyroid more active.
Note, at the time of my Hashi's diagnosis, my thyroid was still fuctioning on it's own at a heathy level.....now that I've been on Synthroid for 2 years, I don't know how destroyed my thyroid has become due to the Hashi's.

So what do you guys think...flaxseed or no flaxseed?

Thanks in advance for any information!

Old 08-11-2003, 02:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

dea4 HB Userdea4 HB Userdea4 HB User
HI,
I have read that flaxseed is not recommended for people with thyroid problems, however, I have also heard it is just the actual seed that is the problem. Look up the post titled supplements posted by AlmostThere, flaxseed was discussed in it, you will find a lot of info there on the pros and cons of flaxseed.

[This message has been edited by dea4 (edited 08-11-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2003, 02:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon HB User
Talking

Hi,
I just read in the First Magazine this weekend that flaxeed was not recommended for people who have thyroid problems, but the oil was supposed to be okay. I still am afraid to try the oil. Has anyone else read anything about this?

Old 08-11-2003, 03:09 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bellajoon,
Check out the post I mentioned above "supplements" by AlmostThere, I think that someone mentioned using the oil in that post.

Old 08-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #5

~Stephanie~ HB User
Thank you both for your posts. I read the "supplement" thread....and I'm still confused...I think I'll pass on the whole faxseed idea. Maybe I just mis-read the article's information. It's terrible how we have to even consider these things that *might* affect our thyroid, but I guess if this is the worst thing in life I have to deal with....I should be thankful.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:53 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Something you may want to consider taking is Omega 3, you can get it in capsule form, just be sure to take it with food.

Old 08-12-2003, 02:05 AM   #7
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Supposedly it is the seed that can cause problems but you would have to ingest a lot of them. The oil does not have that risk (per my research). If you use the oil (I would get a complex of the Omega's) you can take less than if you were to use the capsules - l tbl per 100 lbs. of body weight. The kind I take is very palatable.

Peregrine

Old 08-12-2003, 07:01 AM   #8

julied HB User
Stephanie-
Just a quick question for you. Noticed in your post you mentioned your doctor suppressed your thyroid due to Hashis. My doctor is considering this same treatment due to Hashi's and a nodule. Curious what the target range was for the TSH suppression. I have read it is normally the low end of normal- .3 to .5. My TSH most recently was 1.15 so I am not sure if this will change the perspctive of my Dr. I am so anxious to start meds. in order to alleviate symptoms. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-12-2003, 08:02 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Peregrine,
"A lot" is a relative amount. I ate just under one pound of ground seeds in a 4-week period, amounting to one or two tablespoons per day. The recommended amount. I don't consider that a lot.
I do respect your findings regarding the oil being safer, though. But for myself, I won't court trouble by putting that to the test.

Old 08-12-2003, 09:43 AM   #10

~Stephanie~ HB User
Smile

julied,
Hi. I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. At the time I was diagnosed, all I knew was that my antibodies were sky high...I don't remember the #, but I think it was in the thousands (it felt like I was wearing a choker that was waaaay too tight). Anyways, my endo just said that to alleviate the symptoms, he was going to put me on meds. He put me on Synthroid 125mcg.....and it has helped very much. I still get flare-ups, though. I'm kinda ashamed to say, but I don't know my levels....I just know that I'm feeling pretty good....and when I get tested periodically, the doctor always says that all my levels look fine. Now that I'm reading this board on a regular basis though, next time I get tested, I going to definitely ask for the numbers. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Old 08-12-2003, 03:03 PM   #11
Inactive

peregrine HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by midwest1:
Peregrine,
"A lot" is a relative amount. I ate just under one pound of ground seeds in a 4-week period, amounting to one or two tablespoons per day. The recommended amount. I don't consider that a lot.
I do respect your findings regarding the oil being safer, though. But for myself, I won't court trouble by putting that to the test.
I have already posted about this and listed the amount that was quoted to me from Barleans, from their research, that could be problematic; however, now I can't find that thread. I believe that it stated that you would have to injest something like 5 grams (or was it 50?) for there to be any problem with the thyroid. Maybe this was posted elsewhere, but I'm almost positive that you and I have already exchanged posts about this. Perhaps you know where it is.

Peregrine

[This message has been edited by peregrine (edited 08-12-2003).]

Old 08-12-2003, 04:42 PM   #12

julied HB User
Stephanie-
Thanks for your reply. It is helpful to know that your Dr. was more than willing to treat you due to high antibodies with other tests in the normal range. I am also glad to hear that you have had success in alleviating your symptoms. That is very encouraging to me! Good Luck to you.

Old 08-13-2003, 08:43 PM   #13

rebroker HB User
I have had Hashimoto for the past 6 years. My attacks feel like a sore throat but the soreness is on outside and I have difficulty swallowing as well as swollen lymphs in the neck. My TSH level is about 1-2 and I am on .125 Synthoid. I cannot tolerate soy products(it raises my TSH levels); however, I do take flaxseed oil (for my heart). I find that protein makes me feel better and sugar makes me feel really bad. I have much difficulty eating rice and I can always tell when my TSH level is climbing...,my legs hurt really bad. I take many many vitamins but I find my immune system is comprised due to the Hashi.

Closed Thread